Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not the first or last such thread. CRV owner < 24 hours. I'm likely choosing between Weathertech or OEM. The only time it matters to me is with the shelf in the down position where I think it will be most of the time. I've read some reviews saying the OEM is cheap, unlike maybe prior Honda cargo mats (the one I have in my '09 fit seemed more than durable enough). The OEM is about 50% the price of Weathertech and I'm thinking it has to be good enough given that price delta. To clarify my needs: I'm not going to be using it for very heavy duty stuff, not in a winter climate. (I think I'm ruling out Husky and Maxpider.)

Come to think of it, am I overlooking something by thinking most of the time with the rear seat up I'd likely have the shelf in the down position? i don't see storing a lot of stuff beneath in the boot.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,891 Posts
Personally, I went with the one from MaxLiner.. for both my 2017 CRV as well as the appropriate one for my 2018 Accord. CRV one is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K625NB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Note: this is for the lower deck position of the floor piece, which honestly is where I always have it set anyway.. but they do offer both kinds. The only time I ever set the floor to the upper position is to haul something huge in cargo area with the seats down, in which case I really do not want the cargo liner in there anyway (because of the splashguard siding would just get crushed).

I have been very happy with MaxLiner in both of my Hondas. The reason I chose these over Weathertech is because they are much better price, and received generally positive reviews. I have not been disappointed.

That said.. the WeatherTech one is absolutely fine, I just feel WeatherTech is marking up prices vs competitors because of their brand recognition.

I see there are a truck ton of different ones on Amazon now days.. and honestly most of them appear to be Chinese imports so I would steer clear of them as they likely vary all over the place in terms of quality and durability.

Whichever brand you choose, keep in mind that they generally are shipped rolled up in a box, so you have to unroll them and leave them in the sun for a few hours so they warm up and return to their normal form (important for the ones with side splashguards). The MaxLiners were perfect after about 2 hours in the sun for me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ours came with the Honda liner, ended up being free since the dealer did not notice that the car he got from another dealer had it already installed. Nice non-slip surface, reasonably deep ribs, good side depth. We keep the floor at the lower position. I would not call it cheap looking or feel.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Ours came with the Honda liner, ended up being free since the dealer did not notice that the car he got from another dealer had it already installed. Nice non-slip surface, reasonably deep ribs, good side depth. We keep the floor at the lower position. I would not call it cheap looking or feel.
Same.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
49 Posts
Another vote for OEM. Rear deck is always in the lower position, and the Honda mat fits perfectly, as I expected it would. It's also a little "grabby", things tend not to slide around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously if I’d gotten the mat for free (or not) at time of purchase this thread wouldn’t exist. There’s only so much you can squeeze out of the dealer (I myself got a good price ... and free wheel locks, yay!). Plus I got a sweet trade-in on my time machine so that’s not an option.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We have the Weather Tech. It fits with the deck in the DOWN position (to my disappointment.)
Fits perfect and seems real well built.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Honda OEM stowes nicely under the cargo floor. On College Hills Honda they have a video. For some reason I can not attach it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Obviously if I’d gotten the mat for free (or not) at time of purchase this thread wouldn’t exist. There’s only so much you can squeeze out of the dealer (I myself got a good price ... and free wheel locks, yay!). Plus I got a sweet trade-in on my time machine so that’s not an option.
Our dealer discounts accessory purchases following the sale at 10% or more, you might ask if yours does.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Shop around on the internet. Look at Amazon and ebay who also have dealers selling OEM. You can find much lower prices than a dealer. Google search is a great tool.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,891 Posts
Thx will do... I was thinking College Hills was already Rock-bottom pricing almost always.
They often are... but I have to say.. when I wanted OEM floor mats for my wifes 2018 Accord.... the dealer I buy my Hondas from actually had them for sale on Amazon at a lower price then the competition, and even lower then if I walked in to the dealers parts department to purchase them in person.

It ALWAYS pays to shop around.. because at any given moment, which supplier has the best price does vary.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Another vote here for OEM. On my third CR-V and have always used and had good service from the OEM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is not the first or last such thread. CRV owner < 24 hours. I'm likely choosing between Weathertech or OEM. The only time it matters to me is with the shelf in the down position where I think it will be most of the time. I've read some reviews saying the OEM is cheap, unlike maybe prior Honda cargo mats (the one I have in my '09 fit seemed more than durable enough). The OEM is about 50% the price of Weathertech and I'm thinking it has to be good enough given that price delta. To clarify my needs: I'm not going to be using it for very heavy duty stuff, not in a winter climate. (I think I'm ruling out Husky and Maxpider.)

Come to think of it, am I overlooking something by thinking most of the time with the rear seat up I'd likely have the shelf in the down position? i don't see storing a lot of stuff beneath in the boot.
Over a year ago, I bought from Overstock a "FH Group Black Premium Trimmable Trunk Liner Cargo Mat" for $45 including shipping. It has worked well in our 2018 EX. After I got it, I put it in, untrimmed, and it worked fine. It has ridges that would contain spills and I folded the excess size up by the forward edge. I have never used the "floor up" position, but I'm sure it would work fine. The mat would lay flat if I raised the floor because there is no formed lip around the edges, just the "lip" created by my folding the excess up. It is not "fitted" like the more expensive ones, but if you are only after function, it works very well.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I bought the Honda accessories cargo mat for my 2017 CRV from a dealer online - saved a few bucks and it has been fine. It was mailed to me rolled up a bit, so it is thin, but it flattened out. I keep it in the down position and have had no issues with it holding up. I just couldn’t see paying the Weathertech price for the way I use my car. If you’re hauling a great deal of heavy equipment you may want a thicker liner.

·
Registered
78 Posts
They often are... but I have to say.. when I wanted OEM floor mats for my wifes 2018 Accord.... the dealer I buy my Hondas from actually had them for sale on Amazon at a lower price then the competition, and even lower then if I walked in to the dealers parts department to purchase them in person.

It ALWAYS pays to shop around.. because at any given moment, which supplier has the best price does vary.
We got a full set free (well, maybe not free, but included in the purchase price anyway) with our 2018 Touring. But I ended up getting a Weathertech set for the front only, 1- because they are gray and thus add a bit of brightness to the otherwise all black floor area and 2 - because they cover the whole driver and passenger side floor area, including the footrest, which the OEM ones leave bare.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I have the Honda OEM since the dealer threw them in for no charge on my 2019 Touring.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Mine came with the purchase of my new 2018 Touring model. It was already in the car as were the interior all weather floormats. I told them to remove them as I was not going to pay extra for them and I did not need to purchase the car that day....that I had months to make up my mind whe to buy. My sales guy left all of the the mats in the car and removed the cost from the deal. This is not the first time they have done this for me. Anyway, I think the cargo mat is great. the quality is good and it protects the carpet as it should. I've had my CR-V almost one year now and have loaded the back with plants, bags of bark, propane tanks (for refills). It wipes up great and still looks new. I had the similar trunk mats in my 2009 and 2015 Accords, and they held up well. The quality on the CR-V cargo mat looks exactly the same. Save your money and go with the OEM cargo mat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts