Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas regarding putting the outboard “wells” in the cargo area to good use?

I’m talking about the two areas that are separated from the movable floor by removable bungees and have the bag holders above them.
I think maybe some sort of black container that would provide a handy place to put things that may be used occasionally but at the same time keep them out of the main cargo area. Things like folding umbrellas, first aid kit, maps, old GPS unit, flashlights and other emergency stuff.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Spare set of OEM headlight bulbs (or in my case, since I upgraded to HID, the original headlight bulbs).
First aid kit (or maybe spare bottle of water) always works too.
As I recall, it's a relatively small "pocket" (but I have a 2016 model, so it might be different in the '17)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I leave a large plastic tub for work gear on the left side of my trunk 24/7 (shy of traveling). That leaves the well as a void. I stuffed 2 jackets in the void (1 for me 1 for wifey) for those times when you forget to bring one and need it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
653 Posts
So that's where the fold-down hooks are located! I knew I was supposed to have them, but hadn't found them yet.

It would be nice if these areas had a bungee net pocket to make this area more useful. I had those on my 2001 Odyssey and it was a great place to stash those loose things you're always toting around and the items were easily visible.

On another note, I have an emergency road kit, with all kinds of tools, etc, but getting the jumper cables back in the kit is very difficult and time consuming. I put the jumper cables under the platform...kinda circling the spare tire.

Carrying around the cables may be a waste since it appears that you're not supposed to "jump" this vehicle but should be using one of the portable battery boosters? I would appreciate it if any of you have clarification on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Carrying around the cables may be a waste since it appears that you're not supposed to "jump" this vehicle but should be using one of the portable battery boosters? I would appreciate it if any of you have clarification on this. Thanks.
Did you look in the manual? It's pretty clearly OK to jump start this car from another car.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Did you look in the manual? It's pretty clearly OK to jump start this car from another car.
Thanks. I have been trying to research as much I can on the Honda owner's website, and I remember seeing a reference to the boosters, but no mention of the old style jumper cables. I just need to do a little more research.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks. I have been trying to research as much I can on the Honda owner's website, and I remember seeing a reference to the boosters, but no mention of the old style jumper cables. I just need to do a little more research.
You should download the full manual from this page, then you'll have a text-searchable resource that will answer lots of questions like this one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
thx for links.. ordered hardcopy for our CRV

·
Registered
231 Posts
For those with Canadian vehicles
http://m.honda.ca/owners/manuals
Thanks, as I didn't realize the other manual someone posted was the US one. I saw the 'Available in the App Store button' and thought "great, they have the manual as an app" but that was just the Adobe Acrobat link. I guess I can just load the file on my iPhone but an app would be easier to use for the manual.

·
Registered
653 Posts
You should download the full manual from this page, then you'll have a text-searchable resource that will answer lots of questions like this one.
Thanks. I've downloaded it and will read up a little better. You may get a laugh out of this, but what confused me was the directions for jump starting and Honda's terminology of "booster" battery.

I do try to keep things simple. I rarely have to jump start a vehicle but some of the good samaritans trying to help are dumb as rocks. I actually made small cards and attached to the cables (near the clamps) with clear heavy duty vinyl tape. I numbered each card with the step involved (i.e.: #1 Dead Battery Positive, #2 Booster Positive). A lot of overkill, but in nasty weather, I don't want to be reading my manual. Also keeps my daughter from letting some fool screw up my electrical system at 2:00 in the morning.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks. I've downloaded it and will read up a little better. You may get a laugh out of this, but what confused me was the directions for jump starting and Honda's terminology of "booster" battery.
Nope. They're definitely talking about external battery packs, and not vehicle charging in that sentence.

My confidence that another car can be used for the jump start is the inclusion of this sentence:
6. If your vehicle is connected to another vehicle, start the assisting vehicle’s engine and increase its rpm slightly.​
without any kind of disclaimer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nope. They're definitely talking about external battery packs, and not vehicle charging in that sentence.

My confidence that another car can be used for the jump start is the inclusion of this sentence:
6. If your vehicle is connected to another vehicle, start the assisting vehicle’s engine and increase its rpm slightly.​
without any kind of disclaimer.
My day-old Touring suffered a dead battery (replaced by dealer next day) and I jump started it with my Audi - no problems. But I do carry a battery booster now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yesterday my wife went to Dollar Tree and got 2 black tote bags. One in each well seems to do the trick. You can keep a whole lot of stuff in each bag and you can still raise and lower the floor without touching them. And they are the same color as the rest of the cargo area so you don't even notice them. The accessory costs on this car are killing me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yesterday my wife went to Dollar Tree and got 2 black tote bags. One in each well seems to do the trick. You can keep a whole lot of stuff in each bag and you can still raise and lower the floor without touching them. And they are the same color as the rest of the cargo area so you don't even notice them. The accessory costs on this car are killing me.
Great idea. And, it gives me a reason to go back to my favorite store. :D

Geoff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts