Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed some minor but annoying issues when using CarPlay in my 2017 Honda CRV Touring, including:
  • audio balance changes from 50/50 to 20/80 when on phone app
  • when on calls, phone volume is too low even at max volume (40)
  • sometimes volume controls are confused between guidance volume (0-11) and CarPlay volume (0-40)
I need to bring my car in for regular service so was wondering if anyone was able to get a firmware upgrade for the integration.

Thanks,
Francesco

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm on the latest public version of iOS. (12.3.2)

However, would CarPlay really be the cause of the sound volume issues I'm having? Seems more like an integration issue than a CarPlay issue. Car manufacturers have to integrate with CarPlay since Apple doesn't implement vehicle specific integrations.

BTW iOS 13 has lots of CarPlay improvements but it's not available until September.

Thanks,
Francesco

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I'm on the latest public version of iOS. (12.3.2)

However, would CarPlay really be the cause of the sound volume issues I'm having? Seems more like an integration issue than a CarPlay issue. Car manufacturers have to integrate with CarPlay since Apple doesn't implement vehicle specific integrations.

BTW iOS 13 has lots of CarPlay improvements but it's not available until September.

Thanks,
Francesco
I have both a 2016 Mustang with Sync3 and a 2018 CR-V. I notice the Honda does a lot more with the audio from CarPlay, for example, as you mentioned, you can change the different audio levels, Siri vs. music. Also recently noticed it will lower the fan speed when you are giving voice commands. Kinda neat! Where in the Mustang, it's all just plain and simple. Nothing fancy like that. I do notice the balance issue in the Honda that you mentioned and it's odd for sure. While the concepts and ideas in the Honda are pretty sweet, I feel like with it's inconsistency and buggy-ness, I enjoy the Mustang's situation better. Although, lately, I'm noticing that there's a preferred order of operations in the Mustang. Basically, if I get the vehicle all started up and then plug in the phone, it doesn't register CarPlay. It will charge, but that's it. If I get the phone plugged in and then start the car, it works fine. Kinda weird. I do not see that in the Honda. So there's trade-offs, I guess.

·
Registered
415 Posts
This is what I gathered regarding carplay:
1.to change the volume of ringer (incoming call ring volume) go to settings/sounds/choose "ringer and alerts"/choose desired ring volume. turn off "change with buttons"
2.during incoming/outgoing calls, change to desired volume by using the volume knob. this will only affect the volume of the calls not the music.
3.to change the guidance volume, go to phone settings/maps/driving & navigation/then choose navigation voice volume as desired.
4.so phone will connect to carplay no matter what, go to general/carplay/honda/then allow carplay while locked
5.having data/sink good quality usb cable is also important.

I personally have not notice the music balance during phone app... but sounds like its to reduce music volume during calls?

I am crossing my fingers that the upcoming carplay upgrade will make things easier and quirks fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BBLee, thanks for the recommendations. I will give them a shot.

I'm really looking forward to the new CarPlay with iOS 13 too. It's got a lot of good features, like finally a calendar view. Hopefully the integration will improve too.

Francesco

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yes the integration b/w phone and infotainment ctr are tricky at best. I've been listening to Apple Music lately and have a hard time going b/w phone and if I unplug it when leaving the car and then plugging back in. More often than not I have to manually press the audio button to bring up the song info. Sometimes its black, sometimes it says no device connected. It's like the system can't handle changes and just locks up. Many times I've had to unplug and replug my phone in order to connect even though it's playing music. Weird. Maybe I have gremlins in there. Better not feed it after midnight or get it wet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts