Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably the only issue I've experienced on both my 2017 CR-V and 2018 Accord is that sometimes the infotainment system didn't recognize when I plugged in my iPhone. I saw on another thread that they resolved this by changing a setting on their iPhone, and because that fix worked for me, I thought it deserved it's own thread.

If your system doesn't recognize your iPhone unless you first unlock your phone, make this change in your phone:

1) Go to SETTINGS
2) Go to FACETIME & PASSCODE (this may be a different name on older iPhones)
3) Scroll down and turn on "USB Accessories"

Done.

Hope this helps others that are also annoyed when the infotainment system doesn't recognize their phone. Since I made the change to the settings, my iPhone has worked flawlessly in both of my cars that have CarPlay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did it not recognize the iPhone after starting the CRV? Mine works fine as long as I plug it in after starting and the head unit has booted up.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks, based on the description for the USB setting, it does looks like a winner. Will know for sure with my setting on next drive

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did it not recognize the iPhone after starting the CRV? Mine works fine as long as I plug it in after starting and the head unit has booted up.
No, mine had issues, sometimes the CR-V would find CarPlay when I plugged in the phone and sometimes it didn't. For me it didn't matter if it was plugged in before or after I started the vehicle. When it didn't recognize a phone was attached, I would need to unlock my phone, then the system would see the iPhone and start CarPlay.

After changing the setting it works as expected, doesn't matter if I plug in the phone prior to starting or after starting the vehicle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I just made the change on my iPhone even though I havent had any issues with CarPlay in the 7 weeks I've owned the CR-V.

On another note.. when I was car shopping for a new daily driver a couple months ago it basically came down to '18 Accord 2.0 Touring vs '18 CRV EX-L. The CR-V won because it was cheaper, AWD + Hatchback + folding seats for flat cargo floor = makes it infinitely more practical.. and should have much less depreciation as the years rolled by now that Crossover/SUVs are outselling cars 2 to 1. And while I know made the right decision for my needs (and my family).. I still kinda wonder just how much more I would liked the Accord 2.0T with all bells, whistles and power! Seems like a really fun car to drive on a daily basis.

I see you have both the Accord and CR-V. Which vehicle is your favourite to drive and why?

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,138 Posts
thanks for posting. i knew it was due to the locking that i had issues........but didn't search to resolve.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip. I just made the change on my iPhone even though I havent had any issues with CarPlay in the 7 weeks I've owned the CR-V.

On another note.. when I was car shopping for a new daily driver a couple months ago it basically came down to '18 Accord 2.0 Touring vs '18 CRV EX-L. The CR-V won because it was cheaper, AWD + Hatchback + folding seats for flat cargo floor = makes it infinitely more practical.. and should have much less depreciation as the years rolled by now that Crossover/SUVs are outselling cars 2 to 1. And while I know made the right decision for my needs (and my family).. I still kinda wonder just how much more I would liked the Accord 2.0T with all bells, whistles and power! Seems like a really fun car to drive on a daily basis.

I see you have both the Accord and CR-V. Which vehicle is your favourite to drive and why?
Yes, I understand where you're coming from. The CR-V is much more practical for those reasons you listed. If we could only have one vehicle, then the CR-V would be the obvious choice. Luckily, we don't live in a communist country and can own more than one vehicle.

2017 CR-V Touring= Practical & comfortable, with a bit of luxury.
2018 Accord 2.0T Sport = More serious, powerful, very roomy.
2002 S2000 = Funnest car I've ever owned or driven, razor sharp handling, a classic driver's car.

We enjoy having different vehicles, one AWD, one FWD, one RWD. Also, one with a CVT, one with a 10AT, and one with a 6-spd manual. We don't live in a part of the country that gets a lot of ice and snow but the CR-V gets the most usage as it's the primary choice for long trips. The Accord is a great commuter car, the S2000 is the perfect weekend car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for this tip, I'm going to give it a try. Most of the time my phone loads up quickly when connected. Once in a while it will not, and I unlock the phone and it sometimes connects/sometimes I have to unplug and plug back in.

For a while I was getting an issue where the head unit would go black when using carplay. It would usually happen when using any navigation and I get a phone call. Once I hang up the call the head unit would go black. Only option was to reboot the head unit and the phone.

This week I had a strange issue. The head unit was fine but my phone locked up after a phone call, which also locked up my navigation program Waze. I have an iPhone 8 with latest iOS update. I could see my phone wall paper but it looked dim and blurry. I could zoom in the screen. I could hit the home button and the screen would light up. No icons would show up. I could also say "hey siri" and it would respond, but would tell me to unlock the phone, which i could not do because the unlock keypad wouldn't come up. I could see my LTE signal and battery info clearly, but wall paper was blurry and dim.

Only option was to do a hard reset on phone. I had to look up the instructions for a hard reset, it was changed with iPhone 8. Press volume up once, press volume down once, hold in power button. After reset it was fine. I didnt need to reboot head unit.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@robrink, smartphones will probably always have occasional issues. Another thing to look at if anyone is having problems is their USB cables. We purchased what seemed like high quality USB cables from Amazon, after a few months they were causing problems, went back to the OEM Apple cable and everything was fine.

Lastly, I've seen lots of people have problems that were a result of pocket lint getting into the USB/Lightning connector on their smartphone, once cleaned out, everything worked fine again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts