Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We are buying a new CRV and will be using it a lot for canoeing. I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the position of the factory mounts. I was going to get a kit that doesnt need the rails but for wear and tear reasons I would like to stick with the factory rails and the Thule crossbars. The front crossbar position looks like it is way to far forward to carry a canoe properly.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like a nice set up. The 2013 is a little different though. I have to either get the rails from the factory or a clamp on kit. I just did a little more searching and I think the Thule that clamp have a 110lb limit and the kit that mounts to the factory rails is 165lb. We have two kayaks that are around 65lb each so it looks like we're going with the ones that clamp on the rails... unless thats 110lb each bar for a total roof load of 220lb... hmmm, more searching, lol.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
They do sell 4 foam holders for non roof rack vehicles. That and tie down straps is all that is required for a Canoe.

Kayaks is a whole different story.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true, I should have included in my original post that I will be using the rack for more than just a canoe. We also have a basket and bike mounts. I've seen those foam blocks in use and they don't seem to work that well. I have the sunroof as well so I wouldn't want to put the blocks on it. There is also no place to tie the cross straps and the more you pull on the front and back, the more the roof dents in, especially on a honda, lol.

I decided on the factory rails and the thule cross bars so its a little wider than oem. The difference in the load capacity is important, although I did load up my jetta factory thule with 18 pieces of 3/4" waterlogged pliewood on top of a yakima basket with no lasting negative effects, lol, I dont want to chance overloading the crv.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts