Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cargo area seems to have good height, so is it possible to carry a road bike (or MTB) in there upright, assuming that the front wheel is removed and I'm using some sort of floor-mounted fork mount? It'd be nice not to have to lay a bike on its side while trying to load other stuff along with it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The answer to this may well depend on the frame size of the bike, and the seat height as well. I have a pretty large frame Cervelo and I haven't tried yet but am hoping mine will fit obviously with the front wheel removed. I have a set of "BikeTites" from long ago that I mounted on some plywood to use in the back of my pickup. I'm hoping to do something similar for the CR-V. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was hoping for the same thing. I test drove one yesterday and it looks like a bike should fit with the front wheel removed. I do this in my 2010 all the time.

·
Registered
730 Posts
There is Honda's stock photo showing a mountain bike upright in the cargo area. I'd bet it's not a large frame like my bikes though. I will definitely give it a try after I pick up our CR-V from the dealer just to see.

I will be using our old CR-V with my current tray rack to haul my bikes to the trail instead of the new one. I'd rather not put a muddy bike inside the vehicle.

2017-honda-cr-v-first-drive-inline3-photo-673207-s-original.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't know how to remove bike wheels. Can I transport one bike on it's side?
Wheels with quick releases are easy to remove. Wheels with nuts on both sides require a wrench (or two).

Yes, you can lay your bike down for transport. Be careful of the chain lube and if hydraulic disc brakes that the reservoir cap is tight.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can carry two medium 29er mtb/54cm road bikes upright with fronts removed or either of them complete laying down.
Instead of drilling holes into the rear seat or floorboard, we use a 2x4 with mounts mounted to it for the easiest and cheapest solution.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It depends on the bike -- or maybe more accurately the rider :)

I regularly carried my Bike Friday (folding bike but unfolded) upright in my Element -- with the front wheel removed. But in my 2017 CR-V the seat and handlebars are too high for it to fit upright (the handlebars are high) I'm a bit disappointed but it wouldn't have been a dealbreaker for me had I know before I bought the CR-V (we are talking 2-3 times a year for me)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can always mount the skewer on a block cut at an angle that will effectively lower the height of your seat and frame inside the cargo area. Have done it for yours with my Colnago in the back of a pick up truck with cap. FWIW...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts