Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was living in London for some years and bought a Honda diesel CRV Manual in 2016. I returned to Trinidad and Tobago in 2017 with my vehicle. What I have found out since returning is that the Honda vehicles sold in Trinidad and Tobago are from America, and there are differences between the European Honda vehicles and the American Honda vehicles regarding spare parts. The problem that I have encounter is that the diesel sold here has lots of carbon which resulted in the catalyst (filter) in the exhaust being clogged and the vehicle has lost power. I also found out that mechanics whom I spoke to in Trinidad and Tobago are not familiar with this type of vehicle. Would anyone be able to advise on how to alleviate this problem and to prevent it from re-occurring in the future?

Thanks

Beverly

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I can see how you definitely have a problem there. You will likely have to source British-only parts for your car. There are no American diesel CR-Vs. Another issue you might look at is fuel quality. If the diesel fuel grade is different there than in London, it could well be a problem. US diesel fuel is low sulfur, which will not work in vehicles not specifically designed for it. I have no idea what diesel they use in England, or where you are.

First, you should re-post this in the Diesel CR-V Section, or ask a moderator to move this one for you - they will be happy to do that. A message to Rocky or Carbuff2 should suffice. There may well be someone in that section who can help.

It could be that you will have to change the cat out to the local one, if it will fit, or remove it altogether, if the car will run without it and meet emission laws. If not, you could be facing a situation where you cannot use the car there. I would think there should be someone there who has a solution, if there is one. Good luck, and let us know how this works out.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,599 Posts
Sounds like you have a DPF blockage and the car is in "limp mode".

And if that is the case, and no one in T+T knows how to fix it, the only real solution is to do a DPF removal and remap to bypass it and prevent future carbon build up.

Either way, its not gonna be a cheap fix. Sorry to say....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum! I can see how you definitely have a problem there. You will likely have to source British-only parts for your car. There are no American diesel CR-Vs. Another issue you might look at is fuel quality. If the diesel fuel grade is different there than in London, it could well be a problem. US diesel fuel is low sulfur, which will not work in vehicles not specifically designed for it. I have no idea what diesel they use in England, or where you are.

First, you should re-post this in the Diesel CR-V Section, or ask a moderator to move this one for you - they will be happy to do that. A message to Rocky or Carbuff2 should suffice. There may well be someone in that section who can help.

It could be that you will have to change the cat out to the local one, if it will fit, or remove it altogether, if the car will run without it and meet emission laws. If not, you could be facing a situation where you cannot use the car there. I would think there should be someone there who has a solution, if there is one. Good luck, and let us know how this works out.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

And if that is the case, and no one in T+T knows how to fix it, the only real solution is to do a DPF removal and remap to bypass it and prevent future carbon build up.

Thanks for the response.
Kloker, my mechanic was able to source two companies that deal with the removal of the cat, they also suggest that the cat sensor be removed and re-program the computer. UK diesel is also low in sulfur, but in Trinidad where I live there is a heavy presence of sulfur which resulted in the cat being clogged.

Beverly
2016 CR-V SE+1-DTEC

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

TheDarkKnight, Thanks for the response. The vehicle is certainly in the "limp mode". I live in a hilly area so I definitely know what you are talking about. My mechanic was able to sauce two companies that deals with the removal of the cat and its sensor and re-program the computer and boy it is costly.

Beverly
2016 CR-V SE+1-DTEC

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,599 Posts
Yes, get the DPF removed and remap the car to bypass it and you should be good to go.

Hope you manage to get it all straightened out with minimal cost :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, The mechanic removed the DPF and obtained the codes for the ecu for the vehicle to access it. It took him a few days to have it edited, but now the vehicle is running as it should. Thanks again for your kind advise and assistance.

Best regards

Beverly
2016 CR-V SE+1-DTEC

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,599 Posts
Good to know you have sorted it!

Enjoy your car now :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts