Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An attempt recently to steal the CC on my 2006 CR V LX prompted me to buy a highly rated protective device. The absence of a secure chassis part close to he rear end of the cc rendered the devise useless, Does anybody have advice please?

·
Registered
1 Posts
An attempt recently to steal the CC on my 2006 CR V LX prompted me to buy a highly rated protective device. The absence of a secure chassis part close to he rear end of the cc rendered the devise useless, Does anybody have advice please?
Following. it's an epidemic here in Seattle! There may be some kind of "shield'' that can be welded around it. Hopefully others will chime in.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,962 Posts
And just to note: newer CRVS, gen5 for sure and I think gen4 as well.... their cat converters are now bolted up inside the engine compartment directly to the exhaust manifold of the engines. Thieves would have to rip open your hood to get to the cat converter, and even then... it would require time to remove it as there is no obvious way to cut it out quickly.

But.. this IS an issue for older CRVs as it does appear to be a thing for hack and slash thieves to rip off cat converters, and older generation CRVs did not location protect the cat converters inside the engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
5,244 Posts
Following. it's an epidemic here in Seattle! There may be some kind of "shield'' that can be welded around it. Hopefully others will chime in.
Just be careful the shield doesn't prevent proper cooling. Those cats get HOT.

Reactions: Bmar27

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
2,068 Posts
I think newer vehicles have two catalytic converters.
One just after the exhaust and the other after the flex pipe.
The CRVs or trucks and SUVs are target because they sit higher up
That makes it easier to get under and cut off the pipes holding the cats.
The security plates I have seen are mainly for Prius vehicles.
For the Honda, I saw the mechanic weld pipes along side the pipes holding the cat.
This to discourage thieves from using a pipe cutter or sawzall.
Also, the added welded pipes block the easy use of sockets and wrenches from taking it off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think newer vehicles have two catalytic converters.
One just after the exhaust and the other after the flex pipe.
The CRVs or trucks and SUVs are target because they sit higher up
That makes it easier to get under and cut off the pipes holding the cats.
The security plates I have seen are mainly for Prius vehicles.
For the Honda, I saw the mechanic weld pipes along side the pipes holding the cat.
This to discourage thieves from using a pipe cutter or sawzall.
Also, the added welded pipes block the easy use of sockets and wrenches from taking it off.
Thanks to all who responded. I live on a College campus where we recently had a spate of these thefts, In my case, thank God, the saw blade got stuck and the lowbreath had to abandon his work. In my country of birth a law was passed to hold scrap dealers as accomplice to the theft of stolen/sold/bought copper wire from telephone landlines. Stopped the crime dead in its tracks!

·
Registered
566 Posts
williamsji said:
..gen5 for sure .. their cat converters are now bolted up inside the engine compartment directly to the exhaust manifold of the engines. Thieves would have to rip open your hood to get to the cat converter, and even then... it would require time to remove it as there is no obvious way to cut it out quickly.
(1) Does this apply to CR-V Hybrid ?
(2) Are ALL of the cats inside engine compartment-ie. are there not 2 cats attached ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.