Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the Uk the catalytic converter theft problem is getting out of control
I read somewhere on the internet that Honda have put a tray underneath their Cars to try and stop the thefts
Anybody know if the Mk 5 has this?
I will go into the dealer and a look sometime as I will not be getting my new crv until late next month

Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
alarm the sucker , and a security camera, will it help, Lol.

Reactions: CRV4575

Registered
Yeap ,alarm and a loud one.

Pretty brave considering having to lug a jack around to raise the thing first.

This is what happens when people trust the government to protect them instead of defending themselves.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Registered
2019 CR-V EX
CC theft is a big problem in my area on Toyotas. Its amazing to me that they can get away with it considering how loud a Sawzall is especially when it's cutting through metal.

Floatin' Pizza Slices
Here in the Uk the catalytic converter theft problem is getting out of control
I read somewhere on the internet that Honda have put a tray underneath their Cars to try and stop the thefts
Anybody know if the Mk 5 has this?
I will go into the dealer and a look sometime as I will not be getting my new crv until late next month
Be safe in the knowledge that the average dim-witted UK car thief couldnt give a hoot about a Honda CR-V. Or any other Honda unless its a Civic Type-R.

I genuinely do not know of any CR-V owner/friend etc that has ever had to worry about the cat being stolen. And frankly, if a thief is determined to get it, they will do so regardless of what does/not protect the underside of any car.

Super Moderator
Any car, the tires are being taken. and in a gated area no less. waht you gotto say about that. so yeah both the cat and tires all you need is to Jack one side off you go..

We got on film a theif breaking in. what was done. nothing, why, b/c it was not caught in the act. biggest excuse we hear?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all for you replys
I will look under one when I am passing the showroom

Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
Yeap ,alarm and a loud one.

Pretty brave considering having to lug a jack around to raise the thing first.

This is what happens when people trust the government to protect them instead of defending themselves.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Thiefs like the suv ones because they can slide under for ground clearance but jacking is just as quick

Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
Be safe in the knowledge that the average dim-witted UK car thief couldnt give a hoot about a Honda CR-V. Or any other Honda unless its a Civic Type-R.

I genuinely do not know of any CR-V owner/friend etc that has ever had to worry about the cat being stolen. And frankly, if a thief is determined to get it, they will do so regardless of what does/not protect the underside of any car.
It is not about the vehicle.. it is about the cat converter. They saw them out and steal them for the rare metals in them.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I have just found this discription about the honda accord hybrid engine very interesting and if it is the same engine in the crv hybrid the cat is in the engine bay

Super Moderator
Well love to see them take one that just been parked lol

Reactions: CRV4575

Floatin' Pizza Slices
It is not about the vehicle.. it is about the cat converter. They saw them out and steal them for the rare metals in them.
With all due respect, living in the UK as I do, i know more about the types of theft that occur here than you and indeed, there are certain cars that are targeted more than others. It absolutely IS about the vehicle, whether you agree or not, but thats what happens here.

Thats why cat thefts are prominent here on predominantly hybrid vehicles because they do not "clutter" the cat like a petrol/diesel car because they can use battery power, thus negating the degredation of the cat itself. Its the palladium that most thieves seek.

Registered
With all due respect, living in the UK as I do, i know more about the types of theft that occur here than you and indeed, there are certain cars that are targeted more than others. It absolutely IS about the vehicle, whether you agree or not, but thats what happens here.

Thats why cat thefts are prominent here on predominantly hybrid vehicles because they do not "clutter" the cat like a petrol/diesel car because they can use battery power, thus negating the degredation of the cat itself. Its the palladium that most thieves seek.
With all due respect.. you hijacked the topic of this thread.. theft of cat converters.... as the topic is not the theft of the vehicles themselves. How about we stick to the topic?

Neither article you linked had anything specific to do with catalytic converters being stolen. They are both articles about actual theft of the autos and then running them through a local chopshop. This is a problem EVERYWHERE. And Hondas have always been popular thefts by organized chop shops.... because the parts in in demand.

Now.. back on topic..... the saw&steal of catalytic converters is all about grabbing them for the rare metals that can be salvaged and cashed in. And yes.. it is for the palladium salvage. No need to steal the vehicle.. just go underneath and take a saw to an exposed converter.. done in less than a minute and not traceable. happily, modern Hondas do not leave the cat converters exposed underneath the vehicle.

To be sure.. both kinds of criminal endeavors are most often the work of some form of organized theft rings.. though the sawing out of cat converters is more often done by amateurs looking for some quick metal salvage cash, because all they need is a local criminal who will pay cash for the converters, no questions asked.

Registered
I have just found this discription about the honda accord hybrid engine very interesting and if it is the same engine in the crv hybrid the cat is in the engine bay
Yeah.... pretty sure Honda puts the cat converters exclusively in the engine compartment directly bolted to the engine now days on their vehicles ... as I linked above for the CRV. It solves the issue of the thieves sawing out the cat converter from the exhaust system underneath and is actually a lower cost solution for Honda as it combines the exhaust manifold and converter into a singe assembly.

I am not sure though what year Honda began doing this, so older Honda are vulnerable to the hacksaw crews. .

Super Moderator
Yeah cats can be the talk of the down as long as its the stray cats. is that offtopic.

Floatin' Pizza Slices
With all due respect.. you hijacked the topic of this thread.. theft of cat converters.... as the topic is not the theft of the vehicles themselves. How about we stick to the topic?
Hijacked the thread?

:unsure:

Whatever.

My first post to the OP was specifically about car theft in the UK not outwardly favouring Honda's (FACT). You claimed its not about the vehicle.

I countered that by providing links to thefts of cars in the UK. Stands to reason that the data highlights the types most likely to be targeted and by extension, which cars are more likely here to be damaged by cat thieves and other chopshop merchants - a FACT you ignore to suit your slanted narrative. Honda in the UK only sell one Hybrid - the CRV. A very expensive car here, which is seldom on the roads given Honda's miniscule market share in the country. FACT.

So quite how I derailed the thread in your deluded mind is something only you can digest. I have no interest in engaging in your stupid semantics.

I stuck to the topc in context of the OP's post - specifically in relation to thefts, cat thefts and the likelihood of his soon to arrive CRV Hybrid being targeted. You're not in the UK and have zero authority to comment or assert I diverted the thread. I havent, even if you think I have - it doesnt make it fact.

If you want facts, look at my last post to this - seems the OP liked it. Not a surprise that you take issue with it thinking you're Mr Know All. You arent. But stay on your soapbox if thats what gives you satisfaction.

Reactions: BoostedV

Super Moderator
Well if the topocs was UK Cat theift I stand clear, but since it is here, it's world wide. not just locally. hijack offtopic, simply close it then Bigger about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.