Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, new to forum, so apologies for anything I do wrong.

I've just been told that my 2003 CRV exec auto's cat converter has died. I need to know if there is anyway of getting hold of a replacement without having to sell my house! I've seen some on ebay UK that seem quite reasonable, but as they are so much cheaper than the Honda version, will they still pass the MOT test?

Any help really gratefully received.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are saying that they can't get any readings from it, as it's too corroded. Does this make sense? I'm far outside my comfort area I'm afraid. The only thing I know is that the exhaust as a whole is very noisy at the moment.

Just had a quote of £2177 ! The chap who quoted this says the ones on ebay don't fit my model. I fear if I can't get something sorted out it's the scrap yard for the poor old thing.

:(

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I would definitely not buy an OEM for your 2003 CRV executive (way too expensive). Do more research on the Internet to see if you can find out 'why' the E-bay cats won't work on you particular CRV.
Here ate a couple of links that could be informative for you:
https://repairpal.com/estimator/honda/cr-v/catalytic-converter-replacement-cost
http://www.autozone.com/emission-control-and-exhaust/catalytic-converter/honda/cr-v-4wd/2003/4-cylinders-2-4l-mfi-dohc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8PlxyA6oU
I don't understand the 'corroded' OBD2 statement. Something seems strange. Perhaps take it to another shop or auto parts store to have them attempt to read it.
Is your check engine light on?
The exhaust noise may be a hole in one of the exhaust pipes or the muffler or from the cat itself, esp if one of the O2 sensors was 'removed' or blew out. Did it make that noise before you had the 'mechanic' looked at it?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check engine light is not on. The exhaust has been blowing for a while now, so nothing to do with the test. I can't understand the corroded stuff either, although it is all a bit rusty!

Thanks for the links, I'll continue to research ebay.

I'm going to try to get it into another shop on Wednesday, so I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Buffalo4,

Just to keep you up to date, CRV went into a another shop today. They have a completely different take on the whole thing, "you don't want to replace that it's bloody expensive!" So it's booked in on Monday to change the blowing exhaust, and he thinks that's all that's wrong with it.

Fingers crossed, more reports on Monday

Best Wishes,

Robin.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I agree with Buffalo4. Have them fix the exhaust leak 1st. The 1st shop you went most likely want bigger profit by replacing the Cat converter. Usually if the Cat converter has a problem you will get a Check Engine Light with a code of P0420.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have owned my 1999 CRV long enough now to have installed 2 catalytic converters, the last one yesterday. The brand of cat doesnt matter at all. I had mine welded in at Meineke, which is something that the purist say don't do. It's just a generic Meineke, store brand converter. The last one lasted 75,000 miles. If the cat is bad you should get an OBDII code, PO420. I can't understand any situation where a bad converter doesn't cause an OBDII code. The rattling, if that's your noise, could very well be the resonator. They tend to make an irritating rattle when they go bad. Just go to an independent owned muffler shop and let them repair it. I just paid $420.00 US for the new cat. That converts to 276 GBP as I write this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm not sure if they are international....but rockauto.com is a great source for parts.

I bought an exhaust system (3 parts) for my '89 Camry from them & I'm pretty sure that it was under 200 USD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a quick update. Delay due to the garage loosing part of the exhaust! All now fitted. Next post will be after the dreaded test next week.

Thanks to all who've helped in this.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just back from test centre, and it passed without an hitch!!!

Thanks again to all who read, and advised on this. HOORAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts