Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased for my daughter a 2012 CR-V EX. She wants a caddy for her iphone. I am considering one that mounts in the CD player slot. I have read reviews from some that these thpes of holders cause the player to constantly search for a CD. Has anyone had any experience with these types of holders? If so, please provide your opinion. TIA

·
Registered
110 Posts
Weathertech has released a cup holder cell phone holder, maybe an option. I'm considering one for my 2013. Never seen a CD holder version,. Not that I have looked.

·
Premium Member
2008 EX AWD
173 Posts
I just purchased for my daughter a 2012 CR-V EX. She wants a caddy for her iphone. I am considering one that mounts in the CD player slot. I have read reviews from some that these thpes of holders cause the player to constantly search for a CD. Has anyone had any experience with these types of holders? If so, please provide your opinion. TIA
I used one of these with my 2008. I always use the Aux mode for Bluetooth connection with my phone - no issues with searching for a CD.

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used to use one on my 14 CR-V EX never had any issue, and I use one every now and then on my RAV4 no issues either, you should be fine with the CD phone holder, I find them much better than the ones on the windshield and on the AC vents.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
The most critical thing for safety reasons is a holder that mounts the phone solidly in the best possible location where it can get a glance with a minimum of effort, is solid and unmoving, and is as close to normal driving line of sight as is possible without blocking the view. All other considerations are secondary. I mount mine at about the ten o'clock position in relation to the steering wheel, at the top of the dash, right next to where my right hand is on the wheel (I'm right handed). I position it so that I can glance at it quickly and easily without looking away from the road more than a tiny bit. The other safety thing is a mount that won't come loose and bury itself in your face in an accident.

Where I live, they can ticket you for any other mounting position, such as on the center console, etc., or anywhere else away from normal line of sight, because they know you will be unnecessarily distracted by that location. And they should, because if you do that you are a menace. The idea is to use your brain for something besides a donor organ, while you still can. Those with large OEM display phone control head units and steering wheel controls are the exception. I will be doing an upgrade to that in the Spring, but I will still put the phone where I can see it without looking down, because I will invariably look at it. I know, I've seen me do it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use a magnetic mount where just a small think metal plate can be taped to the inside of the back of the case. The magnet is very strong. This was the only option I could come up with for my 2016 LX where I could have the phone to be sitting just to the right of the steering wheel at about the 2 oclock position but just to the left of the displace to where it doesn't block anything. Let me know if you're interested and I'll take a picture. It really worked out well. I was a little leery of having a strong magnet and it interfering with the phone's operation but it doesn't and there are thousands of reviews verifying that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here are pictures of how I ended up magnetic mounting my phone. This is 2016 CRV LX FWD and there is not much open area to have a phone where it doesn't block anything. I like this location because it's high enough to not have to look down too far but yet not hardly blocking any of the windshield view.
IMG_20190206_163726428.jpg
IMG_20190206_162525014.jpg

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I would never, ever, ever use a strong magnet anywhere near my $800 cell phone or the highly expensive and explosive battery it uses. Or, for that matter, the highly expensive and delicate electronic modules in and behind the dash. I don't care who says it won't hurt it. It's just bad voodoo, and I ain't that far from the swamp.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I would never, ever, ever use a strong magnet anywhere near my $800 cell phone or the highly expensive and explosive battery it uses. Or, for that matter, the highly expensive and delicate electronic modules in and behind the dash. I don't care who says it won't hurt it. It's just bad voodoo, and I ain't that far from the swamp.
There is nothing to fear with basic magnets. Especially in regards to the batteries. The batteries are placed next to high powered magnets by millions every day. Called RC Cars. Same batteries, high strength magnets in the motors. Been don't for decades with 0 cases of failure. Plus all the expensive electronics used to operate RC cars, again completely ineffective by magnets that they spend their entire lives next to.

I have over $1000 in GoPro Cameras and they are attached to 25lb magnets all the time, 0 issues. Same batteries and expensive electronics.

If it wasn't a problem millions upon million be of people would be replacing rather expensive electronics ever day.

Magnets were NEVER an issue for most electronics anyway once solid state storage devices were invented. The problem was always hard drives and other magnetic based storage. Like cassette tapes, old credit cards etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think that guy may be thinking of the old cassette tapes and the actual tape with the audio could be damaged with magnets. Yep, if there were any problems doing this it would be well known by now with plenty of disclaimers and cautionary notes.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
You all may be right, and I will take it under advisement, but I will err on the side of caution anyway, thanks. I also won't use a suction cup mount, or a vent mount, or any other non-mechanically-secured mount. For a phone, or a camera, radar detector, whatever. But it's okay, do what you like. It's your life, and your safety. And your responsibility if it hurts someone. Live long and prosper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts