Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda,
My wife and I recently purchased a certified used 2013 CR-V EX on November 30th 2015. We have discovered that the TSB regarding the cam actuator assembly was never completed and we started having the often described grinding issue during ignition on cold starts. We took it back to the dealer yesterday and they are repairing the issue.

My question is how did a car receive official certified status from the dealership with a known TSB that had not been completed? Are there no checks or flags for the service technicians when they are running the VINs in the service department? My understanding, and what we were sold, and what the bank financed, was peace of mind and added value that every single TSB had been completed and the vehicle was in proper working order. We paid a premium for this peace of mind but now I'm very weary that there could still be issues that were also overlooked. How can I be sure that this vehicle has indeed been fully serviced and we have in fact received what we were sold? I'm sure you can understand my concern, especially with exploding airbags resulting in death.
Please help, my confidence has been shaken.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I also bot a used 2013 EX several months before you did from a private party !! SHE is a 50 yr old machinist who took immaculate care of the vehicle. It had almost 9 months remaining on the warranty but seemingly had no issues. Since joining this Forum, I've discovered lots of valuable info inc. the sobering fact that for some strange reason, these companies evidently are not required to notify owners unless there's a recall !! I had 2 issues as the weather turned - heater and charging system - the irony, of course, turned out to be that both were the subjects of TSB's but I had no clue until reading it here. The wonderful dealer I chose to visit promptly told me the heater wasn't bad enough to fall under the parameters of the TSB and the other ended up being a simple reprogramming of the ECU such that the alternator would charge more frequently than originally programmed to do !! They said the battery was fine in spite of several mornings of "deadness" and that the reprog. would fix it !! Everyone knows batteries that are often dead end up with a shorter life, but we all also know these are flashlight batteries on 'roids. It's one of those components where they just get by to keep costs down.
If you do have issues with the car and it's still under factory warranty, beat them up on a regular basis until they can't stand to see your face - otherwise, good luck. See what happens when you get me started ?? Craig

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
TSB are also know as Technical Service Bulletins.

They are only done IF there is a problem with that particular vehicle. It doesnt affect all cars of the same model and the reason they dont just throw parts at every car, instead only fix the ones needing it.

Also, TSB's are NOT safety issues. That would fall under a recall and why they repair all cars under said recall and why recalls are issued.

Honda isnt the only one who does this so dont be mad at them. Its a cost savings.

I would bet there are more TSB's you dont know about and wont unless you have a particular problem.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Actually, my poor heater performance was covered by a VIN series stated in the TSB !! Of course, I was told that - in essence - I wasn't being truthful because they couldn't duplicate the problem. I guess an acceptable amount of sand left over from the casting process is OK with them. Craig

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Actually, my poor heater performance was covered by a VIN series stated in the TSB !! Of course, I was told that - in essence - I wasn't being truthful because they couldn't duplicate the problem. I guess an acceptable amount of sand left over from the casting process is OK with them. Craig
Have you tried another dealer or better yet contacting Honda of North America directly and expressing your issue to them?

Personally that would do more good than venting on some forum. I say this from experience too. They helped me out with a transmission issue on an 8yr old vehicle I was the 2nd owner of. No warranty of any sort to speak of. I paid out of pocket $800 for a Honda dealer to replace the transmission. Honda of North America picked up the remainer of the bill and supplied the OEM remanufactured transmission.

Just another avenue to think about venturing down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TY! I'm happy to have a resource like this for learning more. Your post helped me understand the process a bit more. I guess I just feel duped by the salesman for telling me that all of the outstanding issues with this vehicle had been fixed. I agree with magnumpii though, I'll keep calling at the slightest inkling of another TSB-like symptom. Are there any other big TSB's for the 2013 CRV I should be looking for? I'm not trying to raise a stink, I just want what I was promised. Thanks again for the insight.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Imagine how I felt when my daughter traded in her Civic, bought used certified, and found out after the deal had been done on her new car, that the dealer was going to have to wholesale it out since it had been hit in the back and they couldn't certify it because of that damage. They didn't, couldn't, back out of her deal since all the paperwork had been signed already. That and the fact that we were buying another car at the same time probably eased their pain some too.
I told them their beef should be with the dealer that sold us the Civic as certified, not us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE*
After getting our CRV back from the dealer where we purchased, we heard the noise again a couple days later. We took it to another Honda dealer closer to home and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. My wife went to pick it up this morning and started it up with the service manager and another tech present. The CRV made the same noise we had been describing. The tech immediately identified it as the bushings in the starter were going bad and would need to be replaced. They kept the vehicle and are going to try to get it covered under the extended warranty. Failing that, they are going to contact the dealership where we purchased and try to get them top pay for it since they certified the vehicle and we only purchased it 4 months ago. Admittedly it's been an intermittent sound so I can see why the new service center didn't hear it right away. I'm just glad they were present to hear the noise and verify that I wasn't going crazy, (though I may be after this is all said and done:) I'm going to be really upset if the original dealer doesn't cover the costs because it's going to be over $400 to repair. I'll keep posting updates and let you all know how things pan out. Wish me luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts