Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like the default fan speed to be one or two settings higher than what it currently is but haven't been able to find any info on if that is possible and how to accomplish. This info may be hiding right out in the open and I can't see it.

Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
467 Posts
If it’s set on auto then it decides what the fan speed is. If you want to set it yourself then it has to be in manual mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
As mentioned, auto will decide fan speed. If it's really hot in the car, the fan speed will be at max right off the start and slow down as the vehicle cools. However I'll agree that at times when it's warm (but not hot), the fan speed is a little too low for my liking. Pressing the fan up speed will turn the auto light off, but all else except the fan speed will still be in auto. IMO the auto light should now turn yellow as it is in semi-automatic. The problem with the light being off is that the next time I turn on the vehicle, it won't be clear ... is the AC off or still on semi-automatic? It also take way to long for the AC to go to fresh air mode on its own.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
As mentioned, auto will decide fan speed. If it's really hot in the car, the fan speed will be at max right off the start and slow down as the vehicle cools. However I'll agree that at times when it's warm (but not hot), the fan speed is a little too low for my liking. Pressing the fan up speed will turn the auto light off, but all else except the fan speed will still be in auto. IMO the auto light should now turn yellow as it is in semi-automatic. The problem with the light being off is that the next time I turn on the vehicle, it won't be clear ... is the AC off or still on semi-automatic? It also take way to long for the AC to go to fresh air mode on its own.

I agree that the automatic system is a bit on the aggressive side. :)

And yeah.. it is confusing next time you get in your car... is the AC running or not? As with many things... we the humans are expected to adapt to design constraints to some degree. Change and adaptation can be hard sometimes. :p

I also agree that a semi-automatic feature option would be nice.. but I can see why that would complicate design or create user errors and complaints from users. So, it's probably optimal the way it is right now... given the wide range of users, environmental conditions etc.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You already have the semi-automatic feature. When you manually control one or more parameters, everything else stays in auto, even though the auto light is off. E.g. If you manually select a fan speed, the speed will remain fixed but the control of everything else remains in auto.

When you select front window defrost mode your manual settings are temporarily over-ridden. When you cancel defrost mode the system returns to your previous manual/auto settings.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
You already have the semi-automatic feature. When you manually control one or more parameters, everything else stays in auto, even though the auto light is off. E.g. If you manually select a fan speed, the speed will remain fixed but the control of everything else remains in auto.

When you select front window defrost mode your manual settings are temporarily over-ridden. When you cancel defrost mode the system returns to your previous manual/auto settings.
Good to know. I wonder, is it called out clearly in the owners manual about this?

I think the point made earlier by superzar is that it is not clear and obvious this is the case.... even though it may be. Hence, you cannot actually tell, and just have to take it on faith that the system is working as intended. This is probably caused by the fact that when in auto mode... the touch screen display only shows fan speed, and not whether AC is active or not, etc. etc. When you over-ride the fan speed.. the touch screen display continues to not show anything active other then fan. A simple change in the heuristics for the display would solve the uncertainty for most owners.

Personally, I have just accepted letting the CRV control everything on auto.. it seems to do better then I would on manual anyway... other then it's initial aggressive use of the fan.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Good to know. I wonder, is it called out clearly in the owners manual about this?

I think the point made earlier by superzar is that it is not clear and obvious this is the case.... even though it may be. Hence, you cannot actually tell, and just have to take it on faith that the system is working as intended. This is probably caused by the fact that when in auto mode... the touch screen display only shows fan speed, and not whether AC is active or not, etc. etc. When you over-ride the fan speed.. the touch screen display continues to not show anything active other then fan. A simple change in the heuristics for the display would solve the uncertainty for most owners.

Personally, I have just accepted letting the CRV control everything on auto.. it seems to do better then I would on manual anyway... other then it's initial aggressive use of the fan.
From P. 226 of the 2018 Owners Manual:
"If any buttons are pressed while using the climate control system in auto, the function of the button that was pressed will take priority. The AUTO indicator will go off, but functions unrelated to the button that were pressed will be controlled automatically."

I agree the A/C buttons could be better. If neither the A/C "On" or "Off" button is highlighted, it means neither has been manually selected and the A/C is by default in Auto, which is not readily obvious. Missing is an indicator on the screen or by the black buttons below that lights up when A/C is in Auto.

As mentioned before, if the A/C or other functions are in manual and the front defrost mode is selected, all manual commands are overridden. When defrost mode is cancelled, the manual commands are restored.

·
Registered
862 Posts
From P. 226 of the 2018 Owners Manual:
"If any buttons are pressed while using the climate control system in auto, the function of the button that was pressed will take priority. The AUTO indicator will go off, but functions unrelated to the button that were pressed will be controlled automatically."

I agree the A/C buttons could be better. If neither the A/C "On" or "Off" button is highlighted, it means neither has been manually selected and the A/C is by default in Auto, which is not readily obvious. Missing is an indicator on the screen or by the black buttons below that lights up when A/C is in Auto.

As mentioned before, if the A/C or other functions are in manual and the front defrost mode is selected, all manual commands are overridden. When defrost mode is cancelled, the manual commands are restored.
Agree with everything you said. I just wish it would cool down quicker without having to lower thermostat to low 60's. My wife's RAV4 seems to be cooler set at 73. Best A/C I ever owned was a 87 Nissan Maxima. That thing would run you out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't like that the auto climate setting also defaults to inside air. After 8 months the CR-V still has the stinking "new car smell, the awful blend of synthetic materials outgassing. I usually drive the first two minutes with the windows all the way open to rid the cabin of the built-up gasses, but recirculate does not help. I don't know if I've ever seen the green out side air button on when I'm in auto climate mode.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don't like that the auto climate setting also defaults to inside air. After 8 months the CR-V still has the stinking "new car smell, the awful blend of synthetic materials outgassing. I usually drive the first two minutes with the windows all the way open to rid the cabin of the built-up gasses, but recirculate does not help. I don't know if I've ever seen the green out side air button on when I'm in auto climate mode.
The system will recirculate if it saves energy. It depends on the outside vs inside temp.
E.g. If in heat mode and it's cooler outside it will recirc. Similarly if in cooling mode and it's hotter outside it will recirc.
In defrost mode it does not recirc. in order to purge moist air.

Recirc helps the system reach your desired heat/cool temp more quickly.
Even in recirc. mode there is still some fresh air entering.
You can manually over-ride any parameters of the climate control system. Everything else stays in Auto, even though the Auto light goes out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts