Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 CRV, about 72K miles. I'm the second owner so previous maintenance is unknown. I bought when it had about 32K miles on it. Decided it was time for service and maintenance. Gas mileage has not been the best. Did a full brake job all around, no problems. Changed the air filter and PCV valve, no problem. Changed the spark plugs and it all went south.

After I changed the plugs I fired it up and it had a miss, stutter or cough at idle. I tried all 3 words in the search and I got all kinds of results. I decided to drive it anyway, I figured maybe it just didn't like having new plugs in there. :eek: It lasted for several miles mostly at low RPMS. If you accelerated hard, nothing, it just took off like it always did. Stop at a light and it was back, driving, though, I couldn't exactly feel it. I then went for a 2 mile run on the freeway. Got off the freeway and it was there but slowly disappeared. Drove through the city at various speeds and it wasn't there, even when stopped. Car has been sitting for over an hour and I'm tempted to fire it up and see what it does.

The spark plugs that came out were Denso SXU22HCR11S and I put the same ones back in.

Any idea what I did? Also, there are no check engine lights either.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I would suggest to place the older spark plugs back in. It could be 1 of the new plugs has a cracked ceramic. If you can in the future use NGK I believe its better than Denso. Let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would suggest to place the older spark plugs back in. It could be 1 of the new plugs has a cracked ceramic. If you can in the future use NGK I believe its better than Denso. Let me know.
Thanks, I think. Sorry. Would I just be better off getting the NGK's instead of trying to put the old ones back in? Autozone has them on sale.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Thanks, I think. Sorry. Would I just be better off getting the NGK's instead of trying to put the old ones back in? Autozone has them on sale.
As what David G. suggested just try to install the old ones 1st just to eliminate the possibility of something else that has been disturbed. To cause this problem. I agree with you, grab those spark plugs while they are on sale. NGK is one of the best plugs you can buy. Just be sure that before leaving the store to check for cracked ceramic insulator. Sometimes they are dropped. Let us know.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Soooo, are we correct in assuming that this miss appeared w/the new plugs?

If you don't know when it was done, adjust the valves.

Change ALLLLL of your fluids.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put the old ones back in and the problem is gone. Never figured that a brand new plug could be defective out of the box. I was figuring a coil had gone bad. I have a new set of NGK's. Once the car cools off we start all over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soooo, are we correct in assuming that this miss appeared w/the new plugs?

If you don't know when it was done, adjust the valves.

Change ALLLLL of your fluids.
Never had the valves adjusted. I think that is going to be left to the dealer to do. The transmission and rear end fluids are next on the list. Radiator too if those go without incident.

Is there anything else that should be cleaned or replaced? I think it should get better gas mileage than it has (20 to 22).

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Strange that the Denso SXU22HCR11S spark plugs didn't work because they are the proper spark plug. NGK 5787 ILZKR7B-11S Laser Iridium Plug is the recommended spark plug by NGK for your CRV and they are cross referenced to the Denso SXU22HCR11S.
I would try to return the Denso plugs (usually excellent for the CRV although most prefer the NGK) to get you money back (perhaps email Denso and explain what happened) or at least try to find out what was wrong with the Denso one(s). Perhaps a coil pack low voltage connector or other connection was loose and just by putting the old plugs back in 'corrected' the problem;similar to what otto888man suggested.

Don't worry about getting a valve adjustment yet: not due unless other symptoms call for it. Check your maintenance schedule.

If the tranny fluid (atf) is at all dark or smells a little burnt, be sure to do a couple drain and fills. If it looks OK, just do a single drain and fill using Honda DW-1 or another compatible synthetic atf such as Valvoline MaxLife Des\Merc, Amsoil, etc. It takes just over 3 qts of atf for a drain and fill and the Valvoline stufff (used and liked by quite a few Honda owners) is under $18/gal jug at WalMart. very easy to do a drain and fill on your CRV, doesn't even need to be jacked up. The most difficult part is puttin the new atf in, and that is also pretty easy.

Doing a coolant change is also very easy and Honda says to just drain the radiator and do a refill of it and the reservoir , and 'burp' it. (takes around a gal, I believe).
However, I don't believe you need to change it until at least 100,000 miles or so with the original fill. Check your maint. schedule.

Brake fluid is probably due for a complete change also, just time wise. Not difficult to do yourself at all using another person, just take a few precautions like not pushing the brake pedal to the floor (use a 2x4 or similar under the brake pedal to prevent this), and keeping the fluid level in the reservoir from getting too low and getting air into the system while bleeding the brakes. Read up on how to do it with another person.

ATF fluid and rear diffy fluid are the main ones, overall.
Don't overthink it and enjoy your new ride. :D

Buffalo4

PS: If you buy a Scan Gauge or an Ultra-Gauge, you will he able to monitor a lot of engine parameters and perhaps figure out some things to tweak or change to increase your mpg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put the NGK's in and it's back to normal. Have no clue what went wrong with the new Denso plugs. I suppose another set of Densos and it would have been fine too.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Strange that the Denso SXU22HCR11S spark plugs didn't work because they are the proper spark plug. NGK 5787 ILZKR7B-11S Laser Iridium Plug is the recommended spark plug by NGK for your CRV and they are cross referenced to the Denso SXU22HCR11S.
I would try to return the Denso plugs (usually excellent for the CRV although most prefer the NGK) to get you money back (perhaps email Denso and explain what happened) or at least try to find out what was wrong with the Denso one(s). Perhaps a coil pack low voltage connector or other connection was loose and just by putting the old plugs back in 'corrected' the problem;similar to what otto888man suggested.

Don't worry about getting a valve adjustment yet: not due unless other symptoms call for it. Check your maintenance schedule.

If the tranny fluid (atf) is at all dark or smells a little burnt, be sure to do a couple drain and fills. If it looks OK, just do a single drain and fill using Honda DW-1 or another compatible synthetic atf such as Valvoline MaxLife Des\Merc, Amsoil, etc. It takes just over 3 qts of atf for a drain and fill and the Valvoline stufff (used and liked by quite a few Honda owners) is under $18/gal jug at WalMart. very easy to do a drain and fill on your CRV, doesn't even need to be jacked up. The most difficult part is puttin the new atf in, and that is also pretty easy.

Doing a coolant change is also very easy and Honda says to just drain the radiator and do a refill of it and the reservoir , and 'burp' it. (takes around a gal, I believe).
However, I don't believe you need to change it until at least 100,000 miles or so with the original fill. Check your maint. schedule.

Brake fluid is probably due for a complete change also, just time wise. Not difficult to do yourself at all using another person, just take a few precautions like not pushing the brake pedal to the floor (use a 2x4 or similar under the brake pedal to prevent this), and keeping the fluid level in the reservoir from getting too low and getting air into the system while bleeding the brakes. Read up on how to do it with another person.

ATF fluid and rear diffy fluid are the main ones, overall.
Don't overthink it and enjoy your new ride. :D

Buffalo4

PS: If you buy a Scan Gauge or an Ultra-Gauge, you will he able to monitor a lot of engine parameters and perhaps figure out some things to tweak or change to increase your mpg.
The spark plug issue was a new one for me. Never ran into a bad plug.

Tranny fluid and rear end has to be done because we tow the CRV behind our RV. I've read a lot, possibly too much, that we should stay with the Honda fluid and not Valvoline or Amsoil. Price wise of course the Valvoline is less but is it going to be just as good? Radiator is getting drained and refilled plus I'm putting in an engine block heater. Got spoiled by one in my diesel pickup truck. Run it for a couple of hours before I leave for work and it was nice and warm. Especially when it was left outside overnight. Not a necessary item, the CRV heats up fairly quickly but I have the timer and power cord left over from the truck so why not.

I have the Torque app for the OBDII reading. Haven't tried it yet on the Honda, it was just used on my truck. I do have a Scangauge II in our RV. Best investment I made for it.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
The coolant in your CRV should still be good, unless it looks bad.

Many of the 'old' Honda owners spouted 'loudly' to only use Honda fluids, esp the atf, when it was Honda Z-1. The Valvoline stuff was vastly superior, even back then, as was the Amsoil stuff. Today, the Honda DW-1 has a good rep and many still say the Valvoline product is equal to, or superior to the Honda DW-1. Same with Amsoil.
Your choice.

At least never put any Z-1 into it, even if you get a good deal on it. :eek:

Hey, put that ScanGauge on your CRV and see what comes up.
Real time monitoring is great, and also fun, at least for me. :)
Enjoy!! :D
Buffalo4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts