Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one flat tire today and went to Goodyear tire shop. The guy there told me I need to change 4 tires due to the TPMS system that the indicator will still on if I just change one tire, since it would not be even. Is that the case or I got ripped off ?
Thanks !
Honda CRV 2017. EX-L. FWD.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You can re-calibrate the TPMS system after changing out the tire; it takes about one minute of button-pressing... the instructions are in your manual.

That said, if your tires were already pretty worn down, putting on a brand-new tire with a different diameter is not fun for your differential.

As a side-note, was the puncture simply in an unrepairable spot, or was the tire trashed by the time TPMS activated? If it's the latter, you may want to invest in an aftermarket TPMS system; I have one (it's just some valve caps with a little transmitter in them, and a small dashboard display) and I like it quite a lot.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hopefully you didn’t listen to the Goodyear “Ripoff” guy. You can calibrate the TPMS yourself. It’s a 2017 so depending on the amount of wear on the other tires it shouldn’t be a problem. In any case you could get a reputable tire shop to shave the tread until it matches the opposite tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think you've been ripped off, sorry. Like the previous poster, you can re-calibrate the TPMS after the tire change. Is the rest of the tires worn out? curious because its just less than two years?

·
Registered
467 Posts
As a side note you shouldn’t totally depend on the TPMS. You should manually check the pressure once a month.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I think you've been ripped off, sorry. Like the previous poster, you can re-calibrate the TPMS after the tire change. Is the rest of the tires worn out? curious because its just less than two years old CRV?
I'm totally due for tires at just under 30k. I'm about 2/32" from the wear bars in the back. *Bleep!*-ing OEM tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm totally due for tires at just under 30k. I'm about 2/32" from the wear bars in the back. *Bleep!*-ing OEM tires.
It’s the best thing that just happened to you.. now you can get a proper set of tyres, OEM tyres are infamous for their performance. What’s your current set?

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you are getting one new tire and the rest of them are worn, you can get Goodyear to shave the new one so that they all have the same diameter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. Sounds like consensus is that I got ripped off. My car got about 20k mileage. To make things worse, I paid nearly $1k for all 4 goodyear tires (ALLS COMFOR):jawdrop:. I'll be sure to give that place a crappy review.:kaboom

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,681 Posts
Thanks everyone. Sounds like consensus is that I got ripped off. My car got about 20k mileage. To make things worse, I paid nearly $1k for all 4 goodyear tires (ALLS COMFOR):jawdrop:. I'll be sure to give that place a crappy review.:kaboom
If you paid with a credit card you could probably dispute the charge. Maybe force the tire dealer to renegotiate with you?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you paid with a credit card you could probably dispute the charge. Maybe force the tire dealer to renegotiate with you?
I've never done this dispute credit card before. Didn't know can do that.... does that mean I need very strong evidence to show the bad and unfair charges ? Where can I find that ?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wow!!! Nearly $1k???!!! You definitely got ripped off. Where was the puncture on the tire? If it wasn’t on the sidewall it should have been able to be patched unless the puncture was too large. You should have just used the spare until you got another opinion or asked in the forum.

·
3,681 Posts
I've never done this dispute credit card before. Didn't know can do that.... does that mean I need very strong evidence to show the bad and unfair charges ? Where can I find that ?
Discuss it with your credit card company. You should also discuss it with the tire dealer. Tell them you feel they "took" you and would like either a big discount, or your old tires back on the car mounted and balanced with a 100% refund....Tell them you will be pursuing the issue with their corporate office and your credit card company.

Don't let them win. The sooner you act, the better you chance for satisfaction. Good luck!

·
3,681 Posts
No You cannot- since you authorized a charge unless you blatantly lie saying you did not approve the charge
Many credit cards will work with you (give you a refund) when a merchant will not accept returns, and where a customer has been "scammed". There are all kinds of customer protections in many credit cards today. They vary, but it is worth the OP checking.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Many credit cards will work with you (give you a refund) when a merchant will not accept returns, and where a customer has been "scammed". There are all kinds of customer protections in many credit cards today. They vary, but it is worth the OP checking.
Where is the scam? He had a flat that couldn't be fixed so they recommended new tires because the others had 20k miles...and he agreed..

Its not hard at all to get $1k in a set of tires if you include mount, balance, a road hazard warranty and taxes.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
467 Posts
Where is the scam? He had a flat that couldn't be fixed so they recommended new tires because the others had 20k miles...and he agreed..

Its not hard at all to get $1k in a set of tires if you include mount, balance, a road hazard warranty and taxes.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
Usually mount, balance and valve stem are included when you buy a set of 4. Road hazard warranty is a waste of money.

You were scammed into buying a set of 4 tires when you only needed 1. Lesson learned. As always RTFM.

·
3,681 Posts
Perhaps, my first recommendation should have been: Talk to the tire dealer, see if they will refund for the 3 extra tires that were not needed. Barring that, I personally have at least 3 credit cards that will help when a merchant will not accept returns or offer refunds. I have never used this feature, so I don't know the details, but wanted to offer up some suggestions to a fellow member who felt he got "ripped off" (perhaps a better word than "scammed"?) partly based on other members comments here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
245/45/19 Goodyear touring tires...for the wife's mustang..full set mounted balance w/road hazard and free balance and rotation for life of tires at SAMs 537.00 out the door....It pays to shop.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts