Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

changing serpentine belt on 06 CRV

12K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  fubarnow 
#1 ·
My 06 CRV has 130k miles, I think I'm due for a change of serpentine belt before it breaks on me in the middle of nowhere right?

I saw this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OE...h=item19f3d952c9:g:TqEAAOSwPe1UGLLh:rk:3:pf:0

It seems to be OEM, Made in Japan, but kinda pricey at $80

I saw some Bando ones for $25 and I wonder if they are good enough:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SERPENTINE...bGEOd:sc:USPSFirstClass!52405!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

Also, I heard changing the belt is a pain so I'm going to have my mechanic do it. He said he'll charge $70 for labor.

Please advise. thanks

#4 · (Edited)
Never heard of Bando. Another case of eBay junk?

You should always replace the tensioner at the same time. With that in mind, look at the kits including belt and tensioner by well known brands for less the Oem belts https://www.rockauto.com/
Absolutely not. I'm pretty sure that Bando is one of the OE manufacturers of these accessory belts for Honda, Mitsubishi, and Toyota. Maybe some of the others too. They have been making belts for a long time. Bando Chemical Industries has been around for over 100 years. Actually kind of surprised you haven't run across any of their belts before.

7PK1732 is the Bando part number for the belt that fits the CRV. Rock Auto has it listed as the OE replacement for $13.80.

#6 ·
I like Gates, Goodyear, or Dayco replacement belts. I've not heard of Bando either. But, I see it has the HEART on the RockAuto listing, which makes it a favorite. So I would consider it.

ISTR that the OEM belt on our Japan-produced '06 had Mitsubishi markings.

+++++++++++++

Regards replacement difficulty, it wasn't too hard for me, but I bought the Serpentine Belt Tool. You MIGHT be able to get a free rental from an auto parts store.

Harbor Freight sells item#63689 for ~$18.
Serpentine Belt Tool Kit

Font

#9 ·
Don't buy from eBay, EVER.

As for Bando, I can't believe our admins haven't heard of the brand. Not mainstream in the US but they are OEM for most Japanese branded vehicles. Bando I have found cheaper than US brands and same maybe better quality. That's what's on both our Hondas. Only other belts I will use is GATES. Won't touch anything else unless I'm in a bind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#13 · (Edited)
Not sure where the "replace tensioner" thing even came from. If it's functioning and bearings arent bad (pulley wobbling or grinding) there is absolutely no reason to change it and it's a giant waste of money. Unless it's bad it will effect nothing. So just leave it alone.

#16 ·
Since I have to remove the power steering pump to get
to the tensioner, I'll drain the pump and reservoir and refill
with new Honda Power Steering Fluid.
Even though I serviced the power service unit last year,
taking a little more time and spending 10 or 15 dollars
for new fluid is less expensive that a Rack and Pinion Unit.

#17 · (Edited)
Okay, I have actually not heard of RockAuto. Is it legit?

I realize my 06 CRV belt has the number 38920PNB004 or 7PK1732. I guess I'm a bit concerned with a $13 belt from RockAuto when I see other belts at $65, like this:
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~belt~compressor~38920-pnb-004.html

The belt is not something i want to go cheap on since failure means overheated engine and loss of power steering, very bad. I really need to get the absolute original Honda factory belt.

thanks

#18 ·
It is indeed legit. One of the better places to buy good quality parts. As for the price, that is called markup. Every time a product changes hands from the manufacturer, to the distributor, to the retailer and so on, the price goes up. Everyone has to get their cut. You can buy the same OE parts from somewhere else and get the exact same thing at a fraction of the price sometimes. You just have to do a little work to find out who the OE part manufacturer is so you know what to look for. The only thing that I go to the dealerships for are vehicle specific parts that you can't usually find anywhere else.

In short, don't feel bad at all about paying $13 for the same belt the dealership sells for $65.

#19 ·
Not just changing hands with dealership. They actually get parts extremely cheaply as a car brand is first to see them from warehouse. Unlike autoparts stores which have their own warehouses and all their stores. Dealerships like big chain auto shops mark their parts up ridiculously.

Now the dealership MAY REFUSE to install a part you brought in and they are allowed to do that. They can tell you that you have to buy their part or they will not install a new one. And nothing you can do about it.

#21 · (Edited)
I'd want to know the manufacturer of the belt first, then I do some research
on the belt. I do not want a inferior belt since the car depends on it.
My last belt lasted over 5 years and was still intact when I replaced it.
Get a Dayco or Gates and you'll be fine.
You do not need to buy a belt from Honda--too expensive
and theirs is probably a brand mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.