Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gen 5, '19 EX owner here. Current mileage the new V is 4500. I check the oil level every other fill up at the gas station, so once every few weeks, or more often.

MM says 50% oil life remaining but the oil itself has turned dark in the last few weeks. Didn't know that synthetic oil can have a dirty look to it? I understand that the factory adds molybdenum to the original batch of oil. Perhaps that is what is turning dark?

Should I change the oil now or follow the MM? I am departing on a long road trip (highway speeds) in a few days and I don't want to cause any damage if dark oil should be replaced.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Motor oil in direct injected engines turns darker quicker than oil in port injected engines. Changing oil before your trip won't hurt a thing.......probably not necessary either. Whatever makes you sleep better.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,045 Posts
Oil 'color' has no real bearing on it's effectiveness. Only an oil analysis will tell you if your oil needs to be replaced at that %. (Dark oil indicates that your oil is holding contaminates in suspension which is a good thing.)

@crv383 's post above is true: DI engines create particulates that can make it look darker. That doesn't mean it isn't any good.

The moly in the factory fill can create a 'dark' look, too.

You can rest easy during your longer trip.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume the the oil life in the MM changes on a curve? In other words, at 4500 miles and 50% oil life remaining, it wouldn't hit 0% at 9K miles.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,045 Posts
Is your trip going to last 4500 miles? o_O

Some say that it seems to drop more rapidly towards the 'end' of the OCI. We never experienced that with our '07 Fit (which admittedly had a less intelligent MM).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm old school, so I'd change the oil, but not reset the MM. Then you'll have to change again when the MM says 5% or so.
That makes sense if the oil life doesn't change for the bad on a curve. I don't want to have to spend the cash for a full syn oil change more than once every 5000ish miles. I just wonder what the mileage for my V will be when the MM finally says "change your oil now, dummy!".

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
The MM triggers/displays at 15%. Changes in ambient temps, engine coolant temps, throttle positions, a whole host of other parameters figure into when the MM displays. With my mostly short trip driving style, I have yet to get 4K miles before the MM displayed.

I've changed oil several times in our V......haven't noticed any difference in oil color from the original fill to subsequent fills......the oil in, our direct injected V, darkens quicker than the oil in previous port injected vehicles, including our current RAV4.

Depending on what/where you read, the moly comes from the factory assembly lube vs the oil.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, I mean: do you expect (or HOPE) that the oil will go ANOTHER 4500 miles (bringing you to 9000)?

How many planned miles duration is your long trip?
No, I expect this synthetic oil to last 5000-6000 miles but I can't believe that the computer on this vehicle is sooooo smart, that it can detect the actual condition of the existing oil and then adjust it's "oil life" signal accordingly. If I'm at 4500 miles now with 50% oil life remaining, it would seem to me that the remaining oil life will diminish rapidly, comparatively, therefore it's sort of like grading on a curve.

A little history. I came from owning an '09 puck up truck. No MM on it. Only front driver and passenger air bags. No back up camera, no radar sensing system, no info center screen, but it did have a CD player (which I really miss!). I am very old skool. The stuff on this V scares the crap out of me (in a good way). New vehicles have come a long, long way since I bought my truck back in 2009 so I am dumb these days even though I have extensive experience with working on all of my vehicles of my past. I've never used synthetic oil or synthetic/oil mix. I only ever used regular oil on all of my past vehicles. But I understand that this vehicle will be maintained on syn.

My upcoming road trip will take most of 1000 miles in total, to and from, 90% of it on the highway.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,045 Posts
No need to replace your oil before that 1000 mile trip.

I can tell you from direct experience on our Fit, that the MM predictions are fairly accurate. The % dropped faster in winter (with more cold-engine running, idling, and stop-n-go) than it did in the summer.

That long duration trip will not bring you to the 15% warning mark IMHO.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I assume the the oil life in the MM changes on a curve? In other words, at 4500 miles and 50% oil life remaining, it wouldn't hit 0% at 9K miles.
It's based on how the car is driven. Such as short trips uses up oil life faster than long highway trips. Also on time, if you didn't drive it for a year the oil life would go to zero.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
...........I can't believe that the computer on this vehicle is sooooo smart, that it can detect the actual condition of the existing oil...........
It doesn't actually detect, or analyze, the actual condition of the oil, like a oil sample testing laboratory does. The automotive engineers know the specifics of API rated SN/SN+ motor oil.......what the oil will/won't do. The MM is based upon numerous temps, miles driven and a whole host of other parameters. From there, algorithms are used to determine the life of the motor oil.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Don't count on it. Unlike prior generation CRVs.. the MM is quite intelligent. The internal algorithm for the MM is tracking and calculating off of a range of variables... not just miles driven. It checks calendar time, hours driven, driving conditions (including speed, temperature, etc.) and probably several other factors that are reported through sensors to the system doing the calculations.

With regard to early change of the oil.. Honda actually recommends leaving the factory oil in until the MM hit's 15%. I have no idea how much this matters, just relaying what Honda recommends. If your oil levels are good.. then I would leave it until the MM says to change it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't count on it. Unlike prior generation CRVs.. the MM is quite intelligent. The internal algorithm for the MM is tracking and calculating off of a range of variables... not just miles driven. It checks calendar time, hours driven, driving conditions (including speed, temperature, etc.) and probably several other factors that are reported through sensors to the system doing the calculations.

With regard to early change of the oil.. Honda actually recommends leaving the factory oil in until the MM hit's 15%. I have no idea how much this matters, just relaying what Honda recommends. If your oil levels are good.. then I would leave it until the MM says to change it.
My car is smarter than me! :eek:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think those that say you should change the oil before the MM tells you to have never sent their oil and/or ATF to a lab for analysis. I have.

I change the oil/ATF/whatever when the MM reaches 0%. For those times I've sent oil in for analysis, every time they said I could go longer, and my intervals are 8-9,000 miles.

The ATF sample I sent in had 30,000 miles on it (I still didn't fully trust the MM), the lab said I could go for 50,000 miles. Guess when the ATF change MM indicator came up next? About 50,000 miles after the last time I saw it.

After a while, I stopped second-guessing the system and now follow it to the letter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gen 5, '19 EX owner here. Current mileage the new V is 4500. I check the oil level every other fill up at the gas station, so once every few weeks, or more often.

MM says 50% oil life remaining but the oil itself has turned dark in the last few weeks. Didn't know that synthetic oil can have a dirty look to it? I understand that the factory adds molybdenum to the original batch of oil. Perhaps that is what is turning dark?

Should I change the oil now or follow the MM? I am departing on a long road trip (highway speeds) in a few days and I don't want to cause any damage if dark oil should be replaced.

Thanks.
I change my oil at 40% always so that's about 5k or less I'm still a firm believer in 3k oil changes.seeing all oil is remanufactured it's never pure oil out there oil is recycled and refined.i use 530 synthetic in my 08 crv and change it at 40%.I do my own oil changes cost me 25 bucks each oil change with full synthetic.i dont believe in oil or manufacture saying to change it in every 7500 to 10k.i worked at dealerships head tech and they do this because dealers know when things break so they get your buisness if the engine fales or starts to break down on viscosity and cleaners wearing off in refined oil.its called JOB SECURITY.which is why dealer or manufacturer isn't always true to customers and ask to do extra stuff at unwanted maintenance. I still change my plugs at every 60k change rear diff at 30k with tranny drain and fill at 30k and coolant at 75k followed by serpentine belt at 75k.all my hondas have been st 300k to 550k.my old 91 accord has 980k.follow these and you be fine

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Many rightfully say that you can't tell if the oil needs to be changed by it's color (petrol Honda engines).
However, I change my oil if it suddenly gets a LOT darker or, if it gets really dark well before it approaches 5-6k miles.
To me, since I only drive around 8k miles a yr, keeping clear, clean looking oil in the crankcase is well worth it since I usually keep my vehicles over 10 yrs, easily.
To each his own. :)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
It’s not until the oil turns dark that you can see it on the orange monster.🤦‍♂️

1 - 20 of 49 Posts