Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Both carburetors and GDI turn the oil dark sooner than port EFI. Carbureted engines, when properly maintained, lasted 100s of thousands of miles back in the day with dark oil. So will GDI engines, when properly maintained.

How long are you going leave the crankcase overfilled????
I am going to contact my dealer tomorrow to ask them to remove the gas from my crankcase, just to see how they will handle it. Of course they should drain and refill with oil. My guess is they will tell me its normal, because thats what Honda is telling them. Its kind of odd when I first bought the car I kept an eye on the oil level because I heard about this. For the first 10,000 miles the oil level seemed normal, I have only noticed this after they did the TSB. I doubt that had an effect on this. There is no way this issue is not going to affect the wear on this engine.
Honda is using the excuse that gas in the oil is normal, which is true. The real issue here is what is to much and this is obviously way to much.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
My simple maintenance thread turned into another OD discussion, LOL!
There's nothing simple about an motor oil thread. After all, you did ask the question........"Should I change the oil now or follow the MM?"......and you got answers from the left and the right........with some fake news thrown in.:giggle:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Haven't had my 2019 V long enough to assess the MM's quirks yet. But, if it is anything like GM's trucks, their MM decreases also as a matter of time. My 2018 Silverado came to me new with 240 miles on it, and it said that I had 25% oil life left. That truck was sitting for 5 months before I bought it. GM's explanation was that oil looses its lubrication quality over time, even just sitting. (Guess Walmart better clear their shelves more often).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, in the motor it “may” degrade due to age. In a container it leads a very different life.
I don't believe motor oil will degrade just sitting at least in the time you mentioned. What may happen is moisture might accumulate and be a problem. Other things such as acids and engine by products may be present, but in the oils that I have analyzed over time its contamination not a problem with the oil itself.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Degrading means anything that may affect its performance or condition. Whether that’s from contamination or severe abuse it makes no difference.

There is no way for the oil or vehicle manufacturer to know how the vehicle may be used or stored, nor the climate it’s required to live in.

In the “correct” conditions it may last much longer in the motor, but the recommendations need to be made for a more typical, less than ideal environment.

An unopened plastic bottle is a relatively controlled environment, so shelf live is considerably longer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Haven't had my 2019 V long enough to assess the MM's quirks yet. But, if it is anything like GM's trucks, their MM decreases also as a matter of time. My 2018 Silverado came to me new with 240 miles on it, and it said that I had 25% oil life left. That truck was sitting for 5 months before I bought it. GM's explanation was that oil looses its lubrication quality over time, even just sitting. (Guess Walmart better clear their shelves more often).
Not sure how the Honda MM works, but the GM's work on several considerations such as mileage, start cycles, engine temperatures, time and etc. So with 25% left and only 240 miles that may be correct for how the 240 miles were accumulated.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts