Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone I’ve been having a minor starting problem
in the morning it starts but It is not normal I can tell something not right
I went to my mechanic he put a volt meter on it w/a load it was 12.9
The battery is 28 months old Its is a 36 months Replacement no cost
So I got a new battery he said it was weak
New bat in Reads 13.9 with a load
Do you guys think that’s alright
The alternator is 375.00 he said try it for awhile and we will Ck the volts again
How bad is it to change the alt myself
ive been working on older cars all my life
What do you think about my situation
My volt meter broke a couple years ago
Have a new one coming
Thanks
Steve

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
If you SEARCH for a little bit, you will find that Honda uses an Electrical Load Detector as well as a voltage regulator to control the alternator. All alternator output checks should be done with the lights (or interior fan) on.

Good thing you bought a new voltmeter, :p They can be had for $10 - $20 from Harbor Freight.

PS. Make sure the battery terminals are tight (cannot be swiveled without loosening). Many new batteries require terminal shims to assure good contact with the Honda clamps.
PPS: If your car has been sitting idle for long periods during Corona virus lockdown, you may want to buy a battery maintainer. Again, HF sells adequate ones for $10 (currently on sale for $5).

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Car buff covered about everything.

As for changing yourself, not a really easy job but not bad. Biggest thing is having correct tools. Metric stocks, flex head ratchet and so on.

As Carbuff pointed out, the way Hondas work (not sure if 2010 still has ELD, somewhere around that time they started changing that) is you need a load, not something small either. Lights, blower inside on, enough to trigger it.

13.9 is perfectly fine. 13.5-14.5 is proper charge voltage range as it does vary based on loads and charge level of the battery.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
Here's a more exact description of the Honda charging system:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts