Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So with all the commotion of Circuit City closing down, I thought of just browsing around the store yesterday. I found this. They're selling a 10" Kicker (round) with a small box already, all for $104.

Just curious if this is a good buy or just a typical price. They claim it was originally $150 but since they're dropping prices they are selling it for $104.

It's a single 10" Kicker sub with box included...

Any thoughts???:confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
No big deal, you can get a 12" enclosed Blaupunkt subwoofer in a cylindrical enclosure at Crutchfields for $79 rated 4 stars by buyers.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Circuit city has a cool warranty where you can get a replacement of whatever it is, even if it is your fault that the sub is blown, for the next 2 years for $20.

Unfortunately, instead of just being chapter 11, circuit city is fully closing all stores in the U.S. so there is nowhere to return the product except to mail it to some random location to get a replacement.

Those kicker things are cheap for a reason. They actually increased the price and told you they lowered it. I've been watching circuit city stores, and the price of a Kicker amp went from $200 to $400 and they said it was reduced from $530. B.S.

I did, however take 20 jackhammer 12" subs off their hands for $400. And then I picked up two of those 10" kickers. They were garbage. I've had better 10's come out of a box made in China by an un-named company. Circuit city's boxes aren't worth much either. Best Buy has sourced a pretty decent box company, but they charge way too much for generic non-custom boxes.

I'd pass on anything from circuit city now, unless you plan on buying some stuff in bulk like I did to sell later.

Also, that kicker box with sub combo was only $110 When they weren't going out of business.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh ok. Thats what I thought so. It seems a little pricey still and I thought maybe these aren't the best Kickers out there. So you're saying if I buy stuffs in bulk, they are willing to work me a deal?? :confused:

I'm still kinda regretting the swap I made on that 12" Pioneer I used to have. But then some people say that it was too good to be true though. I had a 12" Pioneer with a box, Orion amp with separate bass controller all installed for $190... Some people say there's something fishy with that because it's too cheap.. I thought it was too much bass for me thats why I sold it to my friend and we had all of it installed on his 4Runner.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Hmmm... taht Pioneer is a decent sub. I know they have a blue one that is a lot cheaper for $90 or so. $150 is not that bad to pay.

And yes, they will probably work a deal with you at Circuit city. Depending on how much stuff they have left. When I was there they had 60 of em in stock, and were happy to drop the numbers, but usually when they only have a few left, they charge more for the thing than it cost new.

Also, that subwoofer box is very tiny in the picture. Strange that it would put out too much bass, but maybe that's just you. SOme people are happy with stock subwoofers, or bazooka tubes. Maybe you should go that route.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait I just remembered something. Originally, that $190 price should have only gotten me a 10" Orion sub and box. The store "upgraded" me because I patronized them for their tint job. That's why I had that 12" Pioneer instead.

But the thing is I have little knowledge as to how people install these things. I was told by several stereo shops that (Serj and Illegal, you guys know this im sure) some shops connect it to the back of the stereo while other shops tap it into the speakers.. Obviously tapping it into the speakers is a big shortcut but here are my questions..

IS there a big chance of stereo problems if the wires got tapped into the speakers? Secondly, is it true that the bass you get if tapped into the speakers is not, what's the word, right? :confused: Lastly, is it really that expensive to get an amp with a bass controller?

Right now I'm shopping around for the similar setup I sold to my friend, and the cheapest i've run into is $300 for a 12" pioneer and box (box is better, it has that "glass" window on the front of it ) and amp with bass controller..

Ugh I wish there was a big cubby hole like the 3rd gen V that we could custom fit a box so that the sub would look original hehe:D

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Connecting it to the speaker lines will drop the quality of whatever line they tapped into. If you have the stock stereo, they may install a device to hook rca's into the back speaker lines. If it isn't stock, or a newer model Cr-v, the Rca's hook directly into it's own spot specifically for a subwoofer. Yes, the bass won't sound right if tapped directly in. Some newer stereo also have 2 line outs for an amp for your regular speakers with their own RCA's. An amp with a bass controlelr will actually be pretty cheap. I had one that was $90 and ran 700 watts. But the sound quality was terrible, and the little bass remote didn't do much, but turn the volume up one notch or down.

I wouldn't buy the boxes with the glass on front. You always have to re-seal it after the glass comes off if you ever have to adjust or change the subs. Also, it tends to muffle the sound unless you have a really nice woofer and amp setup.

I personally built my sub into the floor, so that I would still have all my trunk space, then put black carpet over a false floor and covered the sub with a black grile to keep stuff from rolling on top of it in the trunk. The floor in the trunk is only about 1/2" higher up than it used to be. It looks pretty stock-y. The best would be to cut the hole in the original brown carpet, but if I ever change the setup, that isn't reversible. My whole setup is on my personal info page in pictures on my hondasuv.com account. Here's a link: http://www.hondasuv.com/members/album.php?u=74487

1 - 7 of 7 Posts