Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not inclined to get the OEM rear sill protectors. They look OK and as stainless steel are no doubt bulletproof. But maybe too much $ and too much bling for something largely unseen. The rear sill is not a smooth surface and it's plastic (has ribs / nubs to it) so you can't really use a paint protective film. Eventually the thing will get trashed from dragging things across it. What other options are there? I know there are things like the "curtains" from weather tech that drape over it and the bumper but that might be a pain... something fixed, attached and sleek I'm thinking. Maybe somebody here has already been down this road and can suggest what they landed on...

Also, to be clear I'm not talking about if / how to protect the bumper itself -- that's a separate consideration.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,891 Posts
Years ago, on my first CRV.. I adopted the habit of keeping a blanket in the cargo area and if I am going to be putting, or removing large or heavy items from the cargo hold.. I put down the blanket. Cheap, easy, effective.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll probably do something like that... but I still want something always there. I predict at least one of my wives won't do the blanket thing.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,461 Posts
I'm not inclined to get the OEM rear sill protectors. They look OK and as stainless steel are no doubt bulletproof. But maybe too much $ and too much bling for something largely unseen. The rear sill is not a smooth surface and it's plastic (has ribs / nubs to it) so you can't really use a paint protective film. Eventually the thing will get trashed from dragging things across it. What other options are there? I know there are things like the "curtains" from weather tech that drape over it and the bumper but that might be a pain... something fixed, attached and sleek I'm thinking. Maybe somebody here has already been down this road and can suggest what they landed on...

Also, to be clear I'm not talking about if / how to protect the bumper itself -- that's a separate consideration.
just use it, let it get scratched up and order the trim when you want it refreshed

its only $15

·
Registered
865 Posts
just use it, let it get scratched up and order the trim when you want it refreshed

its only $15

Wow, slightly off topic but it blows me away how cheap this is compared to, say a door liner. That is a pretty significantly sized piece of plastic! Wonder if it is because it is less commonly replaced?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts

Honda 2017 2018 2019 CR-V CRV Rear Interior Bumper Sill Plate Guard Cover Trim Stainless Steel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shak01 now why would you post that $90 product given what I wrote in my OP?

Thx BoostedV, I was actually looking at its construction thinking about just replacing someday. But I had no idea the part would be so inexpensive. Maybe the the thing to do is buy it NOW as parts eventually run out / get scarce as models get redesigned.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,461 Posts
No prob.
Years ago for fathers day i ‘refreshed’ my dads element. (Was originally mine) and he ruined a ton of pieces.. it was like $200/300 out of pocket for small trim bits and looked brand new.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
That Amazon link is for the same Honda part 08F07-TLA-100.
The Amazon price is cheaper than other places I've seen them online.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bit the bullet for the rear bling/protectors...went with factory parts. Since I have a severe case of "3M-tape-a-phobia" (Once the tape protectors come off...you only have one shot!), I called my local dealer for a quote on both parts and installation...$325...$200 for parts, and $125 labor. Viola!!! I was cured.
Total cost on Amazon, was $120. 08F07-TLA-100 trim protector (2 pieces) ($50), and 08P01-TLA-100 bumper protector ($70).
It took about 15 minutes to prep the areas, and about an hour to drink two Miller Lites and work up the nerve to pull the tape protectors!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Personally, I'm not thrilled with the OEM Bumper Protector. In retrospect, I should have waited a few months for aftermarket option (got mine soon after the Gen5 was released), because it leaves much of the bumper unprotected.

I also have the sill plate covers and they are ok, though they are expensive for what you get. I've also had one of them pop off, though I was able to just push it back on without replacing the tape.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
“Peel up” as in adhesive is failing or the finish is flaking? I’m guessing failed adhesive since these are 100% stainless steel. If the adhesive is failing it could be a) surface wasn’t clean enough or they were applied so as to not mesh well with the sill’s ridges b) need stronger adhesive c) the things are exposed to more flex than you think d) they are badly designed and not sufficiently contoured to mate well with the sill e) something else...

·
Registered
460 Posts
“Peel up” as in adhesive is failing or the finish is flaking?
I'll add that mine peeled up due to a combination of abuse, cold weather and failed adhesive:
On a cold day last winter as I was pulling out a heavy box the edge caught the protector and it popped off.
The good part was, the double-sided adhesive was still intact on the back of the protector. I pressed it back down and it held until a warmer day when I 'really' pressed it down. No problem since...

Oh, and yes, the surface was cleaned with isopropyl alcohol prior to original install.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New thought. It’s interesting to me how we as consumers get attracted to shiny (in this case literally) accessories for a new car. Here’s a photo of the same spot in my ‘09 Honda Fit. Most of the blemishing is plain-old dirt, not much in the way of gouging and scratches. Makes me re-think why I personally need at all vs ye olde blanket / towel, my wives not withstanding. Obviously this will totally vary with individual use case. The fate of the world hangs in the balance.
E09ED5BC-CBB1-4838-8151-AFCD8E9D044F.jpeg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts