Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need someone’s advice if you ever experienced this situation. My 2012 CRV has hard start, engine idle rough and same at driving. Check engine light always on. I already replaced crankshaft position sensor. A friend of mine checked crankshaft position sensor harness with multi tester, it’s good. I already changed 3 years old battery to new. Still same symptoms and same error code. Please let me know if someone ever had this issue and was able to fix it.

Attachments

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,016 Posts
Have to ask: Did you install a Honda crank sensor or aftermarket brand? :confused2: :Darn:Aftermarket parts are a crapshoot, as multiple topics here indicate.

What's the mileage? Could your timing chain be stretched?

https://www.fixdapp.com/blog/p0335

[h=4]P0335 Symptom[/h]
  • Check Engine Light
  • Vehicle may stall/hesitate
  • Hard starting vehicle
  • Rough running vehicle
  • Engine dies
[h=4]P0335 Causes[/h]
  • Damaged crankshaft position sensor
  • Defective crankshaft position sensor
  • Broken timing belt or chain
  • Rough running/misfiring engine
  • Failed ECM

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,016 Posts
Ordered from O’reilly. CRV has 75000 miles.
Well I hate to say this, but I would try another sensor (of a different brand). The OEM Denso sensor is $60 from Rock Auto, the cheapie is $15 but is a favorite. Another cheap sensor might be worth it just as a 'parts-cannon' diagnostic.

When the harness was checked, did your friend give it the 'wiggle test'? Perhaps there is an intermittent broken wire at a flex point...

·
Registered
20 Posts
What was the conclusion and repair which fixed this condition?
I have the same situation in my 2012 CRV. The P0335 code also apparently trips the electric steering and traction control as all three lights are ON but only the one code. I just replaced the CPS with a Denso 196-2002 I ordered on Amazon which came sealed inside a new Denso box. I inspected the cable and it appeared good. The Honda Bulletin regarding corrosion and cable problems seems to target later model years. The onset of the P0335 was sudden with no history of any prior issues. The engine seems smooth until 2500-3000 rpm and the shift is sometimes rough. Are there any other known problem areas which can cause P0335?
Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been 'suspicious' about the short cable extension attached to the block that runs between the CPS and the main engine harness. I removed and thoroughly checked/wiggled it but found no issues.
What are the pin numbers for the contacts on the ECM for the CPS circuit?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I spoke to a Honda service manager and Honda tech who said that replacement of the crankshaft position sensor (CKP) REQUIRES Reset and Relearn of the ECM from a high end scan tool. I can't be the first one to encounter this. Please confirm that a proper bidirectional Scan Tool is required to complete the installation. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,013 Posts
To check continuity at the CKP sensor connector, unplug connector. Turn ignition on. measure between pin 1 and ground, it should be battery volts. Between pin 1 and pin 2 should be also battery volts. Between pin 3 and ground should be about 5 volts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To check continuity at the CKP sensor connector, unplug connector. Turn ignition on. measure between pin 1 and ground, it should be battery volts. Between pin 1 and pin 2 should be also battery volts. Between pin 3 and ground should be about 5 volts.
Traylaw, I want to thank you for your two postings. Allow me to respond with the voltages I measured.
Pin 1 to gnd 11.87 VDC
Pins 1 to 2 11.82 VDC
Pin 3 to gnd 0 VDC
Pins 2 to 3 0 VDC
From what I observe it appears Pin 3 is an open input to an amplifier or comparator in the ECM. Or of course there is no connection between the connector and the ECM, but note that when the connector is on the CKP that the engine will eventually
20200806_122832.jpg
20200806_122834.jpg
20200806_122855.jpg
20200806_122902.jpg
20200806_122908.jpg
start and run, although roughly above 2500 rpm.
As a sanity check I connected an oscilloscope to the CKP and observed the attached waveform. The vertical scale is 10 mV per division. I had no way to sync to the actual wider crank pulse but I could occasional see a wider pulse.
20200806_122832.jpg
20200806_122834.jpg
20200806_122855.jpg
20200806_122902.jpg
20200806_122908.jpg

Any ideas what this means? I may need to tow the 2012 CRV to a shop who can perform the Reset and Relearning. I want to make sure it will be ready for them and not paying more inflated costs.
Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Never met a man who could use a scope I didn't like.
Pin 1 goes to the main fuel injection relay so it should be hot when ignition key is on.
Pin 2 goes to ground terminal G101 located on engine block just behind the fuel injectors.
( G101 is on the right side and G102 is the left side when you're facing the front of the engine)
Pin 3 (CPK Sig) goes to pin 42 on PCM connector C49P
The PCM input circuit biases this line to about 5vdc and the CKP sensor pulls this line low for each a pulse. ( At least i think it pulls low and not high )
The attached pic is just for a pin reference of C49C. They are just checking for a short to ground in the cable from C49P to the CKP plug in this pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Me neither! It seems like my daddy taught me how to use a 'scope before I could walk and it stuck as I used one for my entire career whenever it was needed. Thanks, now that I know it is on Pin 42 I can troubleshoot it. I may try to Ohm it first to see whether it is shorted or by how much. It must not be a complete short as I see a signal but it is only 40-50 mV P-P. I think somewhere I read that the signal should be in the volt range. Do you know?
I may run out of time and have to return to this project as I have a heart operation scheduled for this week. Don't give up on me!
Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Never met a man who could use a scope I didn't like.
Pin 1 goes to the main fuel injection relay so it should be hot when ignition key is on.
Pin 2 goes to ground terminal G101 located on engine block just behind the fuel injectors.
( G101 is on the right side and G102 is the left side when you're facing the front of the engine)
Pin 3 (CPK Sig) goes to pin 42 on PCM connector C49P
The PCM input circuit biases this line to about 5vdc and the CKP sensor pulls this line low for each a pulse. ( At least i think it pulls low and not high )
The attached pic is just for a pin reference of C49C. They are just checking for a short to ground in the cable from C49P to the CKP plug in this pic.
Traylaw, I got to thinking: why would Honda publish a troubleshooting note for a short unless they had seen it a few times? In wondering what might cause it, I wanted to ask whether the CKP wire in the actual harness might be coax. If the coax where to be squeezed it could short. At the sensor it is only a wire but I don't know what happens when it enters the engine harness.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
It's not a coax cable. Is their troubleshooting steps
1. check for 5vdc on pin 3.
2. check for continuity from pin 3 to pin 42
3. check for a short on the wire that goes from pin 2 to pin 42
If no 5 vdc, continuity is ok and no short, then replace the PCM with a known good one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's not a coax cable. Is their troubleshooting steps
1. check for 5vdc on pin 3.
2. check for continuity from pin 3 to pin 42
3. check for a short on the wire that goes from pin 2 to pin 42
If no 5 vdc, continuity is ok and no short, then replace the PCM with a known good one.
Thanks, I hope to find time tomorrow before it heats up outside. I had thought the harness might use coax for this lead to shield against noise interference from the other wires. Thanks again for all the info. Replacing the PCM/ECM would undoubtedly be expensive and involve a dealer or independent with one of the high end scan tools.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks, I hope to find time tomorrow before it heats up outside. I had thought the harness might use coax for this lead to shield against noise interference from the other wires. Thanks again for all the info. Replacing the PCM/ECM would undoubtedly be expensive and involve a dealer or independent with one of the high end scan tools.
Traylaw, I spent several hours today testing for shorts and opens. I followed your procedures and determined the CKP pin 3 lead was open and there were no shorts. In order to determine whether the ECM was actually functional on pin 42, I opened the connector shell at the ECM and pulled back the harness tape. I then nicked the blue wire enough that I could measure the voltage and it was 5.03 volts. This confirms the ECM has a nominal 5V level which is not at the CKP connector.
I now have to decide the best way to repair the harness. I may partially remove the back part of the harness from the engine and add a wire between the end at the ECM and the end going to the intermediate 3-pin connector at the top back of the block. This might allow me to tape the new wire to the existing harness to make it secure.
Any suggestions?
Again, thank you so much for the technical assistance. I could not have done it without you.
Jim

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
That will work. I would think there were three locations where the wire would have the best chance to break. At the back of the PCM or intermediate connector, or where the wires to the intermediate connector branches off the harness from the PCM just to the left of the air filter box. You might look there to see if it's broken and if it is you may be able to repair it.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for the tip! I have one further question at this point: Is there a trick to remove the lower part of the airbox? I remember trying to get it out of the way to gain better access to the transmission fluid filter and could not get the corner closest to the driver's side rear corner to release. Getting the airbox out of the way would give me full access.
I will not be able to continue any work on the Honda until after I recover from the heart operation.
Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts