Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
Joined
·
2,013 Posts
Its just held in with one bolt. In the back, it sits on two posts which pass thru rubber grommets in the air cleaner. A little WD40 on the gromments make it easier to slip the air cleaner back on the posts when you put it back.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Its just held in with one bolt. In the back, it sits on two posts which pass thru rubber grommets in the air cleaner. A little WD40 on the grommets make it easier to slip the air cleaner back on the posts when you put it back.
Thanks! Mine must just be stuck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I have completed the repair and the mighty Honda CRV is back on the road! Here is what I would record what I fount found to hopefully help others.

The 'Blue' wire running to the Crankshaft Position Sensor was indeed broken right where the 3-wire sub cable left the main wiring harness above the transaxle. I carefully untaped this branch and found the attached photo showing the break. If you look carefully at the brown wire you will see that it also shows that the insulation is rough at the same location. Some of my friends suggested rats but since it had protection from some of the harness tape I believe that the wire breakage was due to fatigue caused my vibration of the fine copper strands. The vibration was focused and amplified by a stiff vinyl sleeve which extended for a couple of inches adjacent to the connector at the driver's side of the head. I estimated the wire to be 26AWG stranded copper wire.

This is how I completed the repairs to the wiring harness. I used 26AWG copper stranded wire which appeared to be the same diameter as the Honda wiring but perhaps different stranding. My thermal stripper easily stripped the wires without damaging them. I inserted ~5 inches of new wire in series on all 3 wires with where the break had occurred, staggering the breaks to avoid a large knot. I soldered and used adhesive lined shrink tubing (~0.6 inches) on each of the 6 solder joints. I then used some 1/4" split loom and covered it entirely with some Tesa's Most Advanced High Heat Harness Tape 51036 Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW which undoubtedly is the best harness tape I have ever used. It reminded me of friction tape that my dad used to have and much better than anything I have previously used. I tried to carefully route the longer branch cable which no longer had any stress on the wires.

Then I had to reinstalled all of the harness wiring to the crankshaft sensor and the access panels on the bottom. I purchased new Honda-style plastic fasteners because I had broken so many getting it apart.

I replaced the dinky original battery with a Duracell 24F from Sam's after installing a new bottom battery holder from Honda designed for the Odyssey.

When I started the engine there was no CEL and the steering/stability lights were also off. Note I used the Denso 196-2002 Crankshaft Sensor which I believe to be the exact same one Honda had originally used. It required no additional programming. Thus far the CRV appears to be running great!

I want to especially thank Traylaw for all of his technical assistance which enabled me to analyze and find the wire breakage.
20200909_123854.jpg
 
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Top