Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine lite keeps coming on saying I have a miss on multiple cylinders. My coworker mechanic suggested that I replace the spark plugs and put injector cleaner in the gas tank so I did but it did not solve the problem. I have 130,000 on it. I guess I will replace the plug wires next. Does it have points and rotor in the distributor that can go bad? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Let me guess, its one or more of these codes: P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, and possibly P1399?

Your profile says you have a 1998 CR-V, which is the 1st Generation of CR-Vs.
They all came with a B20 series engine which has an issue with valves tightening over time.

The error codes indicate you need to have the valves adjusted. The sooner the better.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yeap, start with valve lash adjustment, by that mileage should have been done probably twice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,075 Posts
Spark plugs wires go bad surprisingly often, and cause misfires. Change your plug wires. It's quick, cheap, easy, and if it fixes things, you're good.

I would second the suggestion to check the valves if you haven't had that done in the last 15k. I haven't seen bad valve adjustment cause misfires, but it can ruin your head if same of the valves are too tight.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I haven't seen bad valve adjustment cause misfires, but it can ruin your head if same of the valves are too tight.
The P0301 thru 4 and P1399 misfire codes on a B20 engine indicate something is wrong with the valves.
Since the B20 engines have a known issue with valves tightening over time, if those codes are thrown the first thing to do is schedule a valve adjustment as soon as possible. Tight valves overheat and can melt, requiring at least a valve replacement, and possibly a new head.

And yes, misfires are possible with old or damaged spark plug wires, so if they haven't been replaced in awhile then they should be on the list of things to do, too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all seems well since I adjusted the valves. All the exhaust valves were too tight and number 4 was especially tight.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Glad to hear that things are going well now.
Now you just have to remember to adjust them once a year and you'll be good. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts