Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A lot of people around here work for GM and when we were on a walk today I saw a 2018 GMC Terrain parked in a neighbor's driveway. I'm still shopping around with the CR-V at the top of my list, and looks are always an opinion, but I have to say that the new Terrain is the best-looking compact SUV that I have ever seen! It has also been downsized this year to pretty much match the size of the CR-V, CX-5, etc.

But get this. When I went to GM's web sites for it -- which list all of the trims, features, and packages -- it looks like you could get one of these in the top-line Denali trip, easily topping $40K, and it doesn't have adaptive cruise control! It's not like they just didn't list it since it comes with most other sensing technologies that the competition has; it's just not offered. The same goes for its sister car, the 2018 Chevy Equinox.

There are a few other reasons why I probably wouldn't take a chance on this car (and IMO buying any GM product is "taking a chance"), but this is a real showstopper.

And the CR-V stays at the top of the list (at least until the CX-5 gets Android Auto, maybe?).

·
Registered
973 Posts
I never liked the Terrain's looks. It doesn't look very aerodynamic and what's the deal with those overstated wheel well/fenders?

The Equinox lacks back storage space for it's size much like the CX5. There's a number of crossovers that taper down to smaller proportions back where it would be nice to have storage (Murano, CX5, CX9, Equinox,..). And then others have an overstated front engine hood length (CX5, CX9).

·
Registered
294 Posts
I looked at the Terrain on the GMC web site after reading the OP's post. May I suggest getting your eyes checked. For purely safety reasons.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I never liked the Terrain's looks. It doesn't look very aerodynamic and what's the deal with those overstated wheel well/fenders?

The Equinox lacks back storage space for it's size much like the CX5. There's a number of crossovers that taper down to smaller proportions back where it would be nice to have storage (Murano, CX5, CX9, Equinox,..). And then others have an overstated front engine hood length (CX5, CX9).
The CX-5 will likely rely on their control knob to control AA/Carplay, a la the 2018 TLX, since they lock out the touch screen while in motion. Really stupid decision imho.

I looked at the Terrain on the GMC web site after reading the OP's post. May I suggest getting your eyes checked. For purely safety reasons.
I think it would look great if they removed that stupid kink near the rear end. That completely ruins the look...and the visibility.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The terrain is one sexy looking car i would lease it if you plan to keep the car then go crv after the shine and new car feeling goes away. Honda are bullet proof resale reliability etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Once I read the original post, and then clicked the link, I just about gagged when I saw the picture of the Terrain. In my opinion, the front is hideous, and the shape of the wheel wells isn't much better. The rear is interesting, however.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yea not a fan of that GMC.. but hey to each their own.

I'm quite fond of the CRV styling. It in many ways reminds me of the new Volvo XC styling and if my pocket book was heavier I would have jumped on one..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
730 Posts
A lot of people around here work for GM and when we were on a walk today I saw a 2018 GMC Terrain parked in a neighbor's driveway. I'm still shopping around with the CR-V at the top of my list, and looks are always an opinion, but I have to say that the new Terrain is the best-looking compact SUV

But get this. When I went to GM's web sites for it -- which list all of the trims, features, and packages -- it looks like you could get one of these in the top-line Denali trip, easily topping $40K, and it doesn't have adaptive cruise control! It's not like they just didn't list it since it comes with most other sensing technologies that the competition has; it's just not offered. The same goes for its sister car, the 2018 Chevy Equinox.
Well, considering most GM dealers will discount their products $5,000 off MSRP, I'm sure you can get the price closer to that of a CR-V Touring. Lacking the Adaptive Cruise Control is interesting, now that I have ACC, I would not buy another new vehicle that doesn't have that feature. It's one of my favorite new safety features.

Resale of the GMC won't be a good as the CR-V, once the GM dealer start doing $5,000-$8,000 off their new vehicles, the resale tanks pretty fast.

As for the looks, I agree with others that the grill isn't the best looking, but at least the rest of the vehicle isn't bad. My pet peeve is the exhaust tips, they look terrible to me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
GM's 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder engine and the 9 speed automatic looks like a great powertrain, 250 hp and 260 lb-ft.
Styling will appeal to traditional domestic fans and seats look comfortable.
8 inch infotainment system with android auto and apple carplay. Available panaromic sunroof.
Worth a look.
2017-gmclife-introducing-the-all-new-2018-terrain-s2-980x347-02.jpg
2018-gmc-terrain-reveal-interior-mm1-lightbox-980x432-05.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yikes. What is the point of the rear side glass/body design? Or did the designer just doze off and their pencil wandered?

Normal continued body line and they'd have a real nice overall look there.

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
Bit like a Mercedes M class from sideways on as well as those Nissans.
Notice that Chevy lists a diesel as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think the Denali edition looks pretty badass. The only thing I don't like is that stupid push-button transmission and the fact that it's a GM.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Be sure to research resale and residual values if you trade often, GM might shock you, but part of the reason for that is their fleet sales.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts