Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran the A/C on my 2012 for the first time today, and I noticed a strong chemical smell each time the compressor came on. Not a musty odor, I know that one. This one was kind of sweet and chemical in nature.

Is this normal for a new A/C, or could I have a refrigerant leak? It only happens when the compressor is running, during the off cycle I dont smell it.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi--

We recently purchased a 2012 CRV EX and are having the same problem. We noticed it on the way back from the dealership and after 500+ miles it still isn't diminishing. More specifically, we can smell a chemical-like smell emanating through the vents. It seems especially worse when the AC is on.... or the engine is hot. It has a nasal-opening quality which I suspect isn't healthy. Oddly, it seems like we can also taste it on occasion while operating the vehicle. It has a sweet taste. I checked the radiator fluid levels which were fine and the car doesn't seem to be overheating. I was told that it could be normal factory materials burning off the engine, but I am not buying it. It seems noxious. What did you learn about this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I am sure the fabrics, plastics, and other materials will take some time to off-gas. We're attempting to air it out as much and as often as possible. Thanks for your input. It is reassuring that we weren't the only ones to notice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.