Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To celebrate my 40th birthday this week, I am finally pulling the trigger on getting an Android navigation system to replace the stock stereo. After much looking and reading this forum and others, I ordered a Joying unit from eBay. I know others have been apprehensive about the Chinese units and recommend purchasing from AVIN USA, but I went with this one for a couple of reasons:

1. It's the same unit. Frankly, most of the aftermarket OEM fit units (that don't require install kits) are all just different versions of the same generic Chinese unit. Not a knockoff, just rebrands of the same thing. The only thing that changes is the internal specs and the button layout. This one has a quad-core processor, 1024x600 screen, and 16 GB memory which will allow plenty of room for apps. All of which are better specs than the AVIN USA unit.
2. It's the same unit, but over $100 less, for better specs.
3. Joying has an actual web presence away from the eBay store at http://www.carjoying.com, so they should be around if I have any problems.
4. Quick shipping! Unit should be here by the middle of next week. Who wants to wait for their electronics goodies, am I right?

I will post some pics of the unit and install in about a week or so. I am also thinking of installing a backup cam while I have the dash apart and easy access to the back of the unit.

Joying Android Navigation Unit link on eBay
Backup camera link on Amazon

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd rather spend the 100$ and get a name brand even if it is the same , so you get support for warranty etc in your country.
Try returning one to China, you'll never hear from them again.
The web site looks nice but of course it's going too.
I would'nt spend my $$ on anything from such a corney sounding website.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I fitted an Eonon stereo into my 2002 V after much deliberation over well known makes and have never looked back (apart from using the reversing camera)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
If you look on YouTube, there is a lot of disappointed owners who never got their money back, and they only seem to last about a year!

$430 US is a lot of money for a no name Chinese knockoff!

P.S. Happy Birthday!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I'm really interested your project!

Also want to change my head unit from 'joying'

Please post some videos/pictures how is getting on :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

The unit arrived pretty quickly from Hong Kong, about four business days. Installation of the backup camera was a pain, mainly getting the wires through the rear of the car. Basically every piece of interior plastic on the driver's side had to be removed. Installing the Joying head unit was easy, and the fit is very good, very OEM. I sticky-taped the GPS antenna on the dash right by the A-pillar on the passenger side. The plastic of the antenna matches the dash, so it doesn't draw the eye. Overall, I am pleased with the look.

Functionality is mostly great. The one exception is the radio. The reception is poor, and the sound doesn't seem to use the same processing as the Android portions of the unit. The sound is very flat. So, I just don't use the radio and instead use my cell phone as a hotspot and use either Pandora or iHeartRadio, both of which do sound good. If I am in a place without cell service, then I just use my music library which I have on a USB drive. I don't really listen to the radio much anyway because of all of the ads (it seems like you get six minutes of music in exchange for 30 minutes of ads) and when I do it is one of the AM news stations which don't need much in the way of sound quality.

Overall, I am pleased with the unit. I will post some pics of the finished install when I get around to taking some pictures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just received this exact same unit directly from carjoying.com. They answered plenty questions before ordering and i would recommend them. These chinese head unit has two fm input for antenna (different frequency?). You just have to select the right one. As you said these are all the same unit with different exterior. You can see here hxxp://youtu.be/cA8rSqpbeEg arround 9mins. I also bought a rear backup, however yours look way more OEM than mine and i will probably order one like that. I just have to find one that ship to Canada in a decent shipping time! This will be my first DIY installation and i am still trying to find some tutorial to install on crv 2008. I would appreciate it if you could put some picture if you have. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ive just read this with I interest. I'm
Looking at buying a Chinese Eonon into with sat nav and all the rest. Looks like hassle with the Eonon to wire up and get the steering wheel controls to work. Did you have to buy and harness converters?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just received this exact same unit directly from carjoying.com.
How is your install going?

Could you post pictures?

I joined this forum because I'm thinking about upgrading my 2007 EX-L with Navi, but I'm worried about all the "gotchas"
- will my steering whell controls still work?
- will my original backup camera still work?

etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I noticed some of these systems aee incompatible with the upgraded audio with subwoofer. Was this unit a true plug and play with your exl?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts