Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That would be all of the dash lights lit on my 2018 CR-V EX.

As I doubt that every single system in my vehicle had failed, I did some research and it seems this could be battery related. I took it to an autozone for them to hook up to a battery tester. It tested out just fine. But what I noticed is that the lights went away 5 minutes after I drove away.

1000K miles later, back popped on the lights. I disconnected the battery terminal for 30 seconds. Five minutes later, the lights went away again. And more importantly adaptive cruise, collision, etc all came back online.

This seems to happen once every few months. The same fix works every time. No issues cranking. No other indications of problems. The car has 3 years/95K on the original battery, so I guess a replacement wouldn’t be out of line. But I also don’t want to start the clock on a new battery if that is not what is going on here.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Vehicle Steering part Speedometer Car Tachometer

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,698 Posts
When the car loses power on next startup it calibrates (the tree) and clear after 35mph for a few miles

change battery

i went with a costco interstate
Right at 3yrs, i had no previous issues
If you want u can go to honda and prorate a new one but 3yrs is right when they start going

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
the warning system about 50 threads about this. also noted what to do in the owners guide

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
The. Mod. Erator.
7,468 Posts
When the car loses power on next startup it calibrates (the tree) and clear after 35mph for a few miles

change battery

i went with a costco interstate
Right at 3yrs, i had no previous issues
If you want u can go to honda and prorate a new one but 3yrs is right when they start going
This. All day long.

Change the battery and report back - that should clear all the faults.

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
All issues go away above 12 mpg

the issue

the fix

if it is or not its worth the shot

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fishycomics,

I think you had a different issue than I do. The lights on mine have stayed on for a week or longer, including hours of highway driving. It does not go away until the battery is disconnected/reconnected.

I noticed in some other posts that this occurs for people when they first start their car. For me this has always happened while the car was running. Today it happened when I was idling in a parking lot, prior to shutting down the engine, after a 15 minute drive.

All issues go away above 12 mpg

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
I understand. so let me ask did the radar ever get soaked its located in the front grill. noted not to get wet.

hope you do figure out the issue

Reactions: williamsji

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
6,956 Posts
Fishycomics,

I think you had a different issue than I do. The lights on mine have stayed on for a week or longer, including hours of highway driving. It does not go away until the battery is disconnected/reconnected.

I noticed in some other posts that this occurs for people when they first start their car. For me this has always happened while the car was running. Today it happened when I was idling in a parking lot, prior to shutting down the engine, after a 15 minute drive.
Original battery in the CRV, right? So.. heading for 4 years old. Unless you routinely maintain and keep your battery topped up with a good saturation charge on a smart charger once or twice a month, your battery is likely heading for end of life anyway. Note: if you are not testing your battery yourself, then always get at least two separate test opinions, from two different auto shops. Reason: auto shops test for free, and they are notoriously inconsistent or sloppy in their testing, which is why I test my batteries myself with a handheld modern battery health testing device.

Some things to be clear about:

1) All the different systems talk together and even self-check each other. So.. in this context... IF.. IF one system or a sensor has any issue, it may well trigger a cascade of warning alerts on the dash. And these sometimes clear simply from an engine restart, sometimes they need a power reset.

2) As you already know.. most often this sort of event is battery related. A battery with a low charge state, may still be able to start the engine, but the power bus will be pulled low enough during engine start to glitch one or more systems with low bus voltage.

This can also be caused by an intermittent sensor or connection somewhere, which can be a real pain to troubleshoot and isolate. There may be error codes recorded in the OBDII data that helps localize a source, or there may not be.

3) Further, a battery can have some mechanical issue in it such that it works normally most of the time, but there could be something that shorts internally in the battery from mechanical shock of driving down the road... essentially a defect in a plate. These can come and stay, or they can come and go. Not to mention, low electrolyte levels in the battery would likely trigger a similar transient failure as the electrolyte sloshes around inside.

4) keep in mind that the main sensors for HondaSensing must be clean and free of damage or debris to work correctly. The radar sensor is a known problem in this regard if it is left caked with road grime, especially in winter. Also.. sometimes the sensors are not well calibrated, meaning they are on the edge of calibration and can false trigger on you under what would otherwise appear to be fairly good driving conditions and weather.

5) Sometimes a system or sensor just goes bad or intermittent. And given they all talk on a common data bus... one crazy system on the bus may indeed be yacking up the bus and confusing all the other systems into alerting. In cases like this, you likely need a Honda dealer to properly diagnose and repair.

The reason fellow forum members ALWAYS suggest starting with the battery is because 9 times out of 10.. what you are experiencing is simply due to a weak or malfunctioning battery (though not a totally dead battery) and a new battery solves the problem. This is an inexpensive approach, and if your battery is the original from the factory... it's already headed for 4 years old... which is about the normal length of battery life in these modern motor vehicles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey friends,

I have posted previously about the multi error problem on my 2018 CR-V with 100K+ miles. (Christmas Tree on the Dashboard)

I replaced the battery as suggested by others and the issues did not subside. I have also recently noticed a rough idle, especially in the extreme heat. The car is at the dealer now, and they are recommending replacing the spark plugs. The current error is P0172. I am insisting that this is covered by the additional powertrain warranty from Honda with the 1.5L engines. The dealer is telling me that only applies to certain error codes and I will be paying out of pocket.

My research on this forum leads me to think it is more likely the fuel injectors. Dealer says they can do a test for $142. And who knows what outrageous cost they intend to charge me if I actually do replace them.

I would appreciate your advice. And any thoughts on angles to try to get either of these things covered under the extended warranty.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey friends,

I have posted previously about the multi error problem on my 2018 CR-V with 100K+ miles. (Christmas Tree on the Dashboard)

I replaced the battery as suggested by others and the issues did not subside. I have also recently noticed a rough idle, especially in the extreme heat. The car is at the dealer now, and they are recommending replacing the spark plugs. The current error is P0172. I am insisting that this is covered by the additional powertrain warranty from Honda with the 1.5L engines. The dealer is telling me that only applies to certain error codes and I will be paying out of pocket.

My research on this forum leads me to think it is more likely the fuel injectors. Dealer says they can do a test for $142. And who knows what outrageous cost they intend to charge me if I actually do replace them.

I would appreciate your advice. And any thoughts on angles to try to get either of these things covered under the extended warranty.
They likely consider spark plugs as a wear item and hence not covered. They probably need changing at 100k anyway. Can you do it yourself? Once you've ruled this out move on to other possibilities.

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,698 Posts
Friend at dealer gets lots of uber drivers who use cheap gas and around 70-90k its usually injector issue.
You can check the warranty i think certain emissisons gets longer coverage by state but you’d have to call honda corporate open a ticket to either have them step in or discount the service.

or say f it grenade the motor then call your ins company for your MBI replacement $250 and new motor 😂
J/k… 😇

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,495 Posts
Spark plugs are like windshield wiper blades, they wear out, have to be replaced and are not covered by any warranty other than the orginal 3 yr / 36 month factory warranty. As for the P0172 code, this could be caused by any one of several sensors / actuators involved in the engine's fuel managment system, injectors are just one of them.
If you are referring to the the warranty extention that Honda added to the power train, this only applies to vehicles that are showing significant signs of oil dilution and not simply faulty fuel injectors which are not covered in the drive train warranty but under the emissions warranty. However Honda has been covering the cost of the injectors and the customer covers the labor in some cases.
Long gone are the days of the simple VW Beetles with their air cooled engines an AM radios. Today's car are very complicated and very expensive to repair...purchasing an extended service contract is not a bad idea anymore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not a mechanic, just a guy with google. Doesn't it seem like this should apply?

YES: 2018 CR-V EX-L
YES: P0172 (fuel system too rich)
THEREFORE: "Honda is extending the powertrain warranty on the camshafts, rocker arm assemblies, and spark plugs from the original 5 years or 60,000 miles to 6 years with unlimited mileage from the original sale date"

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
Hey friends,

Based on your reported symptoms, this is going to mostly likely be your injectors.

If so.. then NO.. they are NOT covered by Honda's powertrain warranty, they are covered under the emissions system warranty. Now, if you lived in one of 14 or so states that all apply California's emissions warranty and standards, your injectors would be covered if they are bad.

Please be aware, other owners that have had issues with bad injectors have generally been successful in Honda Corporate provided the new injectors (which is the lions share of the cost to replace) at no charge, and the owner picks up the dealer labor costs (generally reported at ~$400 in the US). But you have to work with your dealer to request this consideration by Honda.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, just a guy with google. Doesn't it seem like this should apply?

YES: 2018 CR-V EX-L
YES: P0172 (fuel system too rich)
THEREFORE: "Honda is extending the powertrain warranty on the camshafts, rocker arm assemblies, and spark plugs from the original 5 years or 60,000 miles to 6 years with unlimited mileage from the original sale date"
Nope.. been tested at the dealers by a number of owners. Honda covers injectors under the emissions warranty... for fairly obvious reason.. they affect emissions more so than any other thing.. like smooth idle, proper response, etc.

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
Friend at dealer gets lots of uber drivers who use cheap gas and around 70-90k its usually injector issue.
You can check the warranty i think certain emissisons gets longer coverage by state but you’d have to call honda corporate open a ticket to either have them step in or discount the service.

or say f it grenade the motor then call your ins company for your MBI replacement $250 and new motor 😂
J/k… 😇
I do think use of non-top tier fuel may be a contributing factor here and may explain (at least partially) why some owners have injector issues and others do not. Same with the actual formulation blends of the fuel.. which do vary widely across the US, even within states in some cases.

Would be nice if we had visibility to geographic location of vehicles with reported need of injector replacement. I bet there IS a pattern. We do know Honda made some sort of change to spec on the injectors back in early 2018, but did not change the part number if I recall correctly. This leads me to believe there may have been a tolerance issue from Honda's supplier and so Honda tightened acceptance specs on the supplier. If so.. then I can certainly see things like fuel quality might be a contributing factor that Honda has since scrubbed out of the gen5 CRV with their spec change on the injectors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope.. been tested at the dealers by a number of owners. Honda covers injectors under the emissions warranty... for fairly obvious reason.. they affect emissions more so than any other thing.. like smooth idle, proper response, etc.
Williamsji -- I was talking about my original post. The dealer is recommending spark plugs, but saying I will need to pay out of pocket. I too think it's the injectors. But they are insisting we start with spark plugs. I'm good with getting new spark plugs, just don't think I should have to pay for them since that doesn't seem to be the presenting issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
Williamsji -- I was talking about my original post. The dealer is recommending spark plugs, but saying I will need to pay out of pocket. I too think it's the injectors. But they are insisting we start with spark plugs. I'm good with getting new spark plugs, just don't think I should have to pay for them since that doesn't seem to be the presenting issue.
They are going with spark plugs as that is a less expensive first step than the injectors.

But spark plugs are only replaced free of charge during the first year of ownership (ie: clearly a bad spark plug), per Honda. Plugs are a wear item on a vehicle that is multiple years old. So replacing them for free requires the dealer eat the cost, which is unlikely.

Given the plugs are not cheap, nor the labor to replace them, I doubt you will get a good will replacement from the dealer.

You may very well have one or more bad injectors, so this is not the time to argue or negotiate expectations regarding plugs with the dealer, as you may very well need them to go to bat with Honda corporate for a set of injectors at no charge, and that leaves you only with the labor charge. If you and the dealer think plugs first, then get them changed, but be prepared for that to not solve your issue (in my view).

·
The. Mod. Erator.
7,468 Posts
Merged your two threads :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, I get the dealer's angle here on the spark plugs. Though I never thought that was the issue. I just don't understand why the extended warranty Honda gave for 1.5T engines wouldn't apply in this case. The code matches the TSB. And it seems like Honda's extended powertrain warranty meant "to increase customer confidence" shouldn't be irrelevant just because you and I think it's actually the fuel injectors. I'm happy to play the game and step through the hoops the dealer wants to go through, just don't want to do it with my money when it is likely this will not be the solution.

They are going with spark plugs as that is a less expensive first step than the injectors. But spark plugs are only replaced free of charge during the first year of ownership (ie: clearly a bad spark plug), per Honda. Plugs are a wear item on a vehicle that is multiple years old. So replacing them for free requires the dealer eat the cost, which is unlikely.
note: edited by moderator to correct the purpose of the Honda warranty extension.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts