Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I understand, the standard Civic has 174 HP, the SI had 205 HP and our CR-V has 190 HP. Is there any easy way to get our cars to 205 HP? Apparently the downpipes are the same between the SI and CR-V so I'm guessing it's not exhaust related. Possibly intake? Our has a suitcase muffler looking box over the valve cover and wondering if that is robbing HP.
Thought I read somewhere that the basic Civic and the SI have different turbos, wonder which one our cars have?
Also, the Accord has the same motor and makes 192 HP and 192 TQ @ 1600 where our makes 179 TQ at 2000.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
A meager 15hp is likely all in the computer programming.

I think the CRV motor looks better without that goofy so-called silencer on top. Took it off of ours for a week......the butt-dyno couldn't tell any difference in performance and my ears couldn't tell any difference in sound. The wifey couldn't tell any difference in sound either. It's back on, but still looks goofy.:(

What's up with the smilies not aligning????

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
From what I understand, the standard Civic has 174 HP, the SI had 205 HP and our CR-V has 190 HP. Is there any easy way to get our cars to 205 HP? Apparently the downpipes are the same between the SI and CR-V so I'm guessing it's not exhaust related. Possibly intake? Our has a suitcase muffler looking box over the valve cover and wondering if that is robbing HP.
Thought I read somewhere that the basic Civic and the SI have different turbos, wonder which one our cars have?
Also, the Accord has the same motor and makes 192 HP and 192 TQ @ 1600 where our makes 179 TQ at 2000.
Thoughts?
to answer your question, in multiple parts:

1) The engine in the Civic SI and the CRV are essentially the identical engine configurtion, with just sleightly different tuning. They share the same turbos too. The Accord is similar, but again, with a sleightly different tune, and it may have a sleightly different turbo as well.

2) You can in fact reprogram these 1.5T engines, as well as add after market parts (like air intakes, etc), and boost horse power well over 300 (with coresponding improvements in torque) if you wanted to... and still not blow up the engine. But why would you want to? Civic enthusiasts do it because they are all on a fest to outdue each other on engine modifications and performance numbers. CRVs are NOT Civics (from an owner demographic perspective) ... and as such... I don't see the point of modifying your CRV to be a performance pushing vehicle, especially when you have a Sport mode right there on your transmission selector. :)

3) Contrary to all the hand wringing and bad mouthing by a small number of owners about the 1.5T engine platform... there are millions of them in the field in various configurations.. including some severe aftermarket retunes.. and yet no objective reports of people blowing up engines or even early engine failures. It is a rugged little engine, and is dominant in Honda vehicle volumes produced now days.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I want 300hp in our V, really bad. I also want to keep our 25-27 "in-town" mpg. Wishing in one hand and ___ in the other. ?‍♂

·
Registered
46 Posts
How will the cvt fold up to more power in the CRV?
If I still like the CRV as much as I do now I may forget about the powertrain warranty and do some decent mods.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also, how durable are the diffs and transfer case? I almost bought a supercharger a guy had on his Escape for my old 06 Escape, but after reading, the transfer case was puny and a total pos. Replaced it once in my 5ish years of ownership and needed to be replaced again, hence the reason I bought the HRV

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, apparently our 5th gen crv has 18.5 lbs of boost. The Civic SI has 20.3. Same motor and turbo. The Accord also has 20.3 lbs of boost and more low end torque. Think it’s time for a JB4 to add the missing 2#!

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,023 Posts
Theres one or two members running

Mishimoto intercooler upgrades
Prl cobra cai
Si inlet pipe
Turbo blanket
Rv6 downpipe and other mods
Tuned with ktuner/hondata

Stock hp numbers dont make a diff (comparing suv/car) when its mated to diff transmission, has extra weight and is tuned for mpg vs performance.

even if you modded the crv and had the output higher the slim choices for suspension and other mods would leave you lopsided.

thats why the majority if the upgraded crvs are bigger wheels with air ride andleave the engine stock

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not looking for a SI beater, but a little more pep, say 1 sec or so better 0-60 time would be so much fun. (At least that’s what Hondata advertises).
RV6 catted downpipe,
Better intake (BMS)
Hondata and 3 psi or JB4 & 2 psi.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Either a Ktuner, hondata or JB4 with intake will give a good performance jump. The other mod is to chance the inter cooler pipes before you start messing with the exhaust pipes. I'm running the jb4 on the +4 psi map with the bms intake, I have the pipes but waiting for my warranty to expire before they go in ( our dealer gives free service while under warranty don't want to mess with that and the pipes are a bit much for them to accept ). I have the jb4 in 1st gear limited to 2 psi to stop excessive wheel spin, it will embarrass audi 2.0T Q5's and bmw 320's all day and there's still room for higher maps but I don't want to be paying for more octance fuel if I don't need to.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,023 Posts
Either a Ktuner, hondata or JB4 with intake will give a good performance jump. The other mod is to chance the inter cooler pipes before you start messing with the exhaust pipes. I'm running the jb4 on the +4 psi map with the bms intake, I have the pipes but waiting for my warranty to expire before they go in ( our dealer gives free service while under warranty don't want to mess with that and the pipes are a bit much for them to accept ). I have the jb4 in 1st gear limited to 2 psi to stop excessive wheel spin, it will embarrass audi 2.0T Q5's and bmw 320's all day and there's still room for higher maps but I don't want to be paying for more octance fuel if I don't need to.
you worried with the historical coil & injector issues with the jb4?
seems like ktuner and hondata seem to be the safest tuners vs the jb piggyback (not discounting gains)

·
Registered
17 Posts
A bit. I'm not going super advanced tuning on the crv, in that case it would have been a ktuner or hondata. I know most coil issues on the bmw's are easily solved with new plugs before the jb4 and more frequent plug changes so I expect to change my plugs about 50k just incase

you worried with the historical coil & injector issues with the jb4?
seems like ktuner and hondata seem to be the safest tuners vs the jb piggyback (not discounting gains)

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,404 Posts
Hah! If I was gonna spend the money, I'd want an Accord V-6 with a manual transmission and the suspension upgrades to balance it out. If you're gonna go, go all out!

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's like the trucks. I remember when Ford had the 4.6 in the F-150s, but the 4.6 in the F-150 had much less horsepower than the 4.6 in the Mustang. This was all because the truck was tuned for power down low -- towing etc. My guess is that they were trying to get the most MPG out of the CR-V and perhaps a little more low end power. It's all tuning. The 1.5 is a very strong little engine... people were able to get over 500WHP with the stock block using an upgraded turbo, fuel system, and tuning. Tuning doesn't do a whole lot in naturally aspirated engines, but in forced induction engines, it's a big deal.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
The 1.5 is a very strong little engine... people were able to get over 500WHP with the stock block using an upgraded turbo, fuel system, and tuning. Tuning doesn't do a whole lot in naturally aspirated engines, but in forced induction engines, it's a big deal.
Indeed. I continue to be amazed at what some of the Civic enthusiasts are able to get out of the 1.5T. Even modest changes in tuning and air intakes and they can easily get a good bit more power out of an otherwise stock engine.

AND... try as they might to push the engine design over it's limits.. they seem largely unable to actually break these engines either. Also, when they break them open looking for carbon buildup to clean out (something everyone assumes will happen with this DI engine), they can't find any carbon buildup even after 20-30K miles and modified tuning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Indeed. I continue to be amazed at what some of the Civic enthusiasts are able to get out of the 1.5T. Even modest changes in tuning and air intakes and they can easily get a good bit more power out of an otherwise stock engine.

AND... try as they might to push the engine design over it's limits.. they seem largely unable to actually break these engines either. Also, when they break them open looking for carbon buildup to clean out (something everyone assumes will happen with this DI engine), they can't find any carbon buildup even after 20-30K miles and modified tuning.
Ah but they do break them, seems 27 psi with various other mods is the upper limit of the stock internals. That's alot! Those cars were dynoing 320+ hp on stock pistons and cranks, the crank shafts seeming the first weak point, then the pistons. There is also the cvt to worry about as it can't handle too much torque hence why hondata stock maps are +6 max ( about 24psi )

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would love to see Honda make a CVT that can handle a lot of power. I know that it's possible since they have technology that even makes a CVT possible in a semi-truck lol. They say that it's more simple and cheaper to make than a standard truck trans! StackPathv

·
Registered
17 Posts
hight power Cvt research for regular autos took a hit when F1 banned it, it was expensive to make but it ended up in semi trucks and even tanks. Time will tell but it is possible.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,404 Posts
I doubt it will last long in big trucks. Automatics of any kind are not doing very well at all in big trucks. They don't seem to hold up for more than a few months before they wind up in the shop. Mechanically they are unreliable, and major carriers like Fedex Freight have stopped buying them as they are not feasible for the long term. Plus, and automatic in a big truck is unsafe in inclement weather, because in a big truck the most important thing you need is complete control over the driveline, and with an AT you don't have it. Causes a lot of crashes.

Reactions: agentl074
1 - 20 of 30 Posts