Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I doubt it will last long in big trucks. Automatics of any kind are not doing very well at all in big trucks. They don't seem to hold up for more than a few months before they wind up in the shop. Mechanically they are unreliable, and major carriers like Fedex Freight have stopped buying them as they are not feasible for the long term. Plus, and automatic in a big truck is unsafe in inclement weather, because in a big truck the most important thing you need is complete control over the driveline, and with an AT you don't have it. Causes a lot of crashes.
There is a huge difference between cvts and automatics.

Cvts have issues because of shit designs. But some have gotten it right. Biggest issue is heat.

Cvts yes can have issues, but automatics are fine.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I doubt it will last long in big trucks. Automatics of any kind are not doing very well at all in big trucks. They don't seem to hold up for more than a few months before they wind up in the shop. Mechanically they are unreliable, and major carriers like Fedex Freight have stopped buying them as they are not feasible for the long term. Plus, and automatic in a big truck is unsafe in inclement weather, because in a big truck the most important thing you need is complete control over the driveline, and with an AT you don't have it. Causes a lot of crashes.
That's true... you don't have engine breaking (or not very good) in automatics. That's a good point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is a huge difference between cvts and automatics.

Cvts have issues because of shit designs. But some have gotten it right. Biggest issue is heat.

Cvts yes can have issues, but automatics are fine.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yeah... it seems to be a tough egg to crack, but if anyone is close, I'd say Honda would be. It still could use a few years to work out the bugs. I think it would be possible to make a heavy duty CVT... time will tell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The real issue with CVT's is engine Braking, or lack there of. Reliability has equaled autos now once it's not brake torqued or the like

21 - 24 of 24 Posts