Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Honda CR-V Engine Oil Contamination
The law firm of Sauder Schelkopf LLC is investigating a class action lawsuit on behalf of owners of Honda CR-V vehicles (model years 2016, 2017 and 2018) that are prone to engine oil contamination.

It has been alleged that consumers with these Honda CR-V vehicles are experiencing fuel contamination of the engine oil that results in the failure of engine bearings and other internal components. This may result in catastrophic engine failure and even stalling while driving.

If you have experienced engine oil contamination within your model year 2016, 2017 or 2018 Honda CR-V vehicle, please contact the lawyers at Sauder Schelkopf by clicking on the link below.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/alerts/ss-honda-crv-engine-oil-contamination.shtml?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180411-honda-investigation

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
The law firm of Duwee, Cheatum and Howe......and others to follow.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Honda CR-V Engine Oil Contamination
The law firm of Sauder Schelkopf LLC is investigating a class action lawsuit on behalf of owners of Honda CR-V vehicles (model years 2016, 2017 and 2018) that are prone to engine oil contamination.

It has been alleged that consumers with these Honda CR-V vehicles are experiencing fuel contamination of the engine oil that results in the failure of engine bearings and other internal components. This may result in catastrophic engine failure and even stalling while driving.

If you have experienced engine oil contamination within your model year 2016, 2017 or 2018 Honda CR-V vehicle, please contact the lawyers at Sauder Schelkopf by clicking on the link below.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/alerts/ss-honda-crv-engine-oil-contamination.shtml?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180411-honda-investigation
Those guys are only about 20 minutes from me

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm sorry, but how many engine failures have been attributed to this potential dilution? I don't think any law firm presses a class action suit on behalf of consumers....I think they press on behalf of the firm's revenue stream. They get $180,000,000 and consumer gets coupon for free oil change.

·
Registered
341 Posts
How do these work?
Would a person use this as well as lemon law or just if the lemon law doesn't work?
Can one use both, teach me I know nothing about this kind of thing what are all of my options?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
No need to over react.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I think your better off working with the lemon law.
When all is said and done the legal company will get a high percentage of the money and you might end up signing away your lemon law rights for something less than a complete reimbursement or a new vehicle. It’s still worth looking into but find out if being a participant means your no longer allowed to try other remedies.
This course of action can take years!

Rob

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think your better off working with the lemon law.
When all is said and done the legal company will get a high percentage of the money and you might end up signing away your lemon law rights for something less than a complete reimbursement or a new vehicle. It’s still worth looking into but find out if being a participant means your no longer allowed to try other remedies.
This course of action can take years!

Rob
THANKS, I am not willing to give up my rights yet so I will just hang tight for a while.

·
Registered
63 Posts
How do these work?
Would a person use this as well as lemon law or just if the lemon law doesn't work?
Can one use both, teach me I know nothing about this kind of thing what are all of my options?
Count on getting nothing. Class action law suits like these are basically there to hold a company accountable for public policy reasons. The consumer that is affected nearly never get anything of significant value out of it. You don't have any options. You wait to see if the ones bringing suit wins. If they do then you get a portion of whatever they sued for. You have no control over anything in this suit, if it is brought. Right now they're just investigating anyways. No suit has been brought.

·
Super Moderator
2,189 Posts
And, to add to what everyone else has said, it takes literally YEARS for this kind of action to get finalized, and get any resulting damage awards to the folks who were "injured" YEARS. Like 4 or 5 perhaps.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
141 Posts
And, to add to what everyone else has said, it takes literally YEARS for this kind of action to get finalized, and get any resulting damage awards to the folks who were "injured" YEARS. Like 4 or 5 perhaps.
well, they also get the lawyers involved on both sides (more so than before) so now Honda's going to be even more reserved and cautious about any fixes or time tables. The best mechanism to force Honda's hand in providing a fix or confirming a non-issue is still via a social media campaign in my opinion. These lawsuits just end up delaying an outcome for those impacted.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Honda will wait 10 yrs like other auto manufactures to do a recall hoping all those cars are crushed.
I don't think so!
Honda has a pretty good reputation around the world for reliable quality products.
If they wait too long on this it will be a major blow to the company name. GM and a few others have a long track record of hit and miss products so they would do something like that but I doubt Honda will go down that path. The thing that is unclear to me is how wide spread this issue is with NA models and has something already been changed in the 2018's? I have seen only a couple of cases of 2018's with problem. Keep in mind that the fix may just be changes in the code.

Rob

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't think so!
Honda has a pretty good reputation around the world for reliable quality products.
If they wait too long on this it will be a major blow to the company name. GM and a few others have a long track record of hit and miss products so they would do something like that but I doubt Honda will go down that path. The thing that is unclear to me is how wide spread this issue is with NA models and has something already been changed in the 2018's? I have seen only a couple of cases of 2018's with problem. Keep in mind that the fix may just be changes in the code.

Rob
I also wonder how big this problem is?

It's weird that some have the problem and some don't more in cold weather than warm that seems for sure but that's a problem in itself.

Hard to believe it's software when some have and it and some don't, makes me wonder if it's not something more mechanical and serious.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't think so!

Rob

My 2018 (built January) is already showing signs of fuel in oil. When I took delivery the oil was exactly in the middle of the gauge, now its about 1/4 inch above, currently have 800 miles on it

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Class actions only benefit LAWYERS and can take years to complete. I hope Honda owns up to the problem and solves this problem very soon. I live in a rural area so my dealer has agreed to pay for as many oil and filter changes I do untill Honda has a fix. He just needs a receipt and mileage it was changed at.
I'm satisfied at this point..............I'm not going to go the Lawyer route yet

·
Registered
446 Posts
What is the best way to start / open a case for this possible issue? I'm assuming I should go in and talk to the service manager? I'm planning on going to the dealer next week. 2018 (built January 2018) and showing signs of oil dilution currently with 800 miles on it

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,228 Posts
I'm sorry, but how many engine failures have been attributed to this potential dilution?
I'm still waiting to hear of a single engine failure....

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.