Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(General Air Filter talk) Clean air for V = Clean air for Me

Replaced the intake filter as well as the cabin filters the other day on my 03. As much as it is overlooked, it is amazing how much crap is in the air around us. This is proof! The cabin filter side by side was after the old ones had been cleaned off the debirs in the fins. Dust and dirt that not only we breathe, but our cars as well, the caging was rusting. Shocked to read stories about rodents and snakes nesting and/or dying in there from owners never changing their air filters, gross. I'll take dealing w prying/losing those glovebox retainer arms and a few of these $15 filters any day in hopes to not only breathe cleaner air for me and the V, but gain some lost MPG's too! Difference already being noticed in cabin air flow, still counting miles to see if there is any change.

20190509_191818.jpg
20190505_170128.jpg
20190505_001153.jpg
20190505_171845.jpg
20190509_222752.jpg

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I will admit to not having changed my cabin or engine air filters nearly as often as I should have in the past, but they never came out looking like those!

I usually look at the cabin filter after there's been forest fires. I remember one year with my commuter Accord I changed it after a particularly bad fire which had smoke/ash raining down on our house for a couple of days. I changed the filter because it smelled like a smoker inside the car.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Those are Pretty Bad Cabin Air Filters BUT
I'm sure someone, somewhere on earth has one as bad. :HighFive:

Today I replaced my Engine Air Filter using a Fram Extra Guard.
Usually I use a Honda Filter but I was at Wal Mart-it was there for 13 bucks.
The Fram is a good looking filter but the filter paper is thinner than a Honda. The Honda has Very Thick Paper.
The Honda is constructed a little different and weighs more. air filter 222.jpg air filter 444.jpg air filter 333.jpg

·
Registered
476 Posts
QUESTION--Since the air filter is Round
and the dirtiest part is where the air comes in
and the other side is fairly Clean,
Can a Filter Be Turned to the Clean Side?
As you can see from my Pics--Some of the filter is clean.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
QUESTION--Since the air filter is Round
and the dirtiest part is where the air comes in
and the other side is fairly Clean,
Can a Filter Be Turned to the Clean Side?
As you can see from my Pics--Some of the filter is clean.
No reason in the world not to do that fubarnow. It isn't going to be passing that much air thru the dirty part if you rotate it to the far side, ie away from where the air comes into the housing. That'd be a good way to get the most out of your filter IMO.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I change mine yearly (from date of purchase) regardless of miles
Cabin i use the fram w/ febreeze and engine oem

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Since I'm retired now and not driving as much (no commuting!), my maintenance schedule is turning into a more yearly affair than it has in the past. I think I'll just add the air filters to the yearly oil/filter change. Easy to keep track of it that way too. Less entries in the little notebook I keep in both cars for things like that and gas station stops.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Since I'm retired now and not driving as much (no commuting!), my maintenance schedule is turning into a more yearly affair than it has in the past. I think I'll just add the air filters to the yearly oil/filter change. Easy to keep track of it that way too. Less entries in the little notebook I keep in both cars for things like that and gas station stops.
Yep im retired also, 39 now and already 4 years home lol
I use the crv just for driving my daughter to school and errands
So i do the filters once a yr and end of winter and twice a yr oil changes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts