Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I would love to clean my axles rubber boots to keep them in good conditions
Do anybody here have done it, what do you use??

I have searched a lot about it and it seems people use SILICONE SPRAY, but pure silicone not the ones with petroleum distillates

It turns hard to find a 100% silicone for that purpose

ANY IDEAS HERE? ANYBODY WITH SAME CONCERNS AS MINE

·
Registered
126 Posts
Look up sil glyde or Honda’s shin Etsu silicone grease. That’s what I normally use for door seal and lubing the slider pins on the brake. I never lube the cv boot as a preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look up sil glyde or Honda’s shin Etsu silicone grease. That’s what I normally use for door seal and lubing the slider pins on the brake. I never lube the cv boot as a preventative maintenance.
thank you for your repply,

But if you search around, you will be people use various type of silicone spray. But I heard on the boots should be more 100% silicone not the ones with other materials. (I have seen silicone spray on door seals)

For the sliding pins I use the brake lubricant grease

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
I use this CRC product, haven't ripped a CV boot in two decades.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use this CRC product, haven't ripped a CV boot in two decades.

So, you spray it on the boots???? wow for two decades

If you never have issues that means it works?

thanks

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
I GUESS it works. :banana: It could just be the placebo effect! :angel2:

I spray all the rubber bushings and joint 'boots' while doing oil changes. That keeps me from being anxious and not letting ALL the oil drain out. :eek:

Before I started doing this I had three CV joint boots tear or leak. (Only one on a Honda) Cheap to buy but I had to remove the axles to complete the job.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I GUESS it works. :banana: It could just be the placebo effect! :angel2:

I spray all the rubber bushings and joint 'boots' while doing oil changes. That keeps me from being anxious and not letting ALL the oil drain out. :eek:

Before I started doing this I had three CV joint boots tear or leak. (Only one on a Honda) Cheap to buy but I had to remove the axles to complete the job.
I have this CRv 2005, i never have a issue with the axles on three corners. i only had to replace the driver side four years ago, and guess what? i had to replace it again couple of months ago. ( It last me exactly 4 years. I bought that axle on Autozone, Duralast)

So, in conclusion it seems the oem axles are great but the one on autozone last me 4 years. But i always thought in doing something to clean those rubbers on the axle, they should help

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
It is well documented on various Honda forums that aftermarket drive axles don't last as long as OEM.

"Duralast" is just a name, after all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts