Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As with any car, crevices/gaps etc allow for dust and other crud to get in.

I've noticed some accumulation on the Heads Up Display but am not sure what the display itself is made from, so am a little unsure what cloth/product to use to wipe it clean so that it doesnt get damaged or leave any smearing or abrasive marks behind.

Any suggestions folks??

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,195 Posts
Get a soft brush and dust it only. A camera lens brush is perfect. Never touch it with your fingers. Should over time, you must clean it with something other than a brush, get a microfiber cloth from an eyeglass store. Also use a fluid for eyeglasses that is safe for anti reflective coatings. The fluid will normal have AR safe written on the bottle.
This is also what you should do for the instrument cluster clear plastic cover.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh gosh yes, I'd never touch/smear with fingers.

Curious to know what material its actually made from. I might have to use a cloth for spectacles etc and see how that works.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
135 Posts
do a search here - there were a couple of articles that went deep into cleaning and fixing any scratches. Just cleaned mine two days ago - I always use a couple of wet naps (the kinds you use for babies/etc.). I use the first one to tap on the plastic to pick up the dust and wet the surface then use the second one to wipe everything off. The plastic is very easy to scratch and I'd stay away from anything dry including brushes. Just make sure to use good quality wipes that do not leave any lint behind.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,475 Posts
do a search here - there were a couple of articles that went deep into cleaning and fixing any scratches. Just cleaned mine two days ago - I always use a couple of wet naps (the kinds you use for babies/etc.). I use the first one to tap on the plastic to pick up the dust and wet the surface then use the second one to wipe everything off. The plastic is very easy to scratch and I'd stay away from anything dry including brushes. Just make sure to use good quality wipes that do not leave any lint behind.
hes asking for the heads up display in the uk not the cluster clear plastic

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Polycarbonate makes up the plate of the HUD, it's the reflective coating on the plate that actual makes is work.
Many thanks!

Yes its these properties which make me concerned about how to clean it properly without causing any damage. Most appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Clean it with a micros fiber as said earlier. Then for under $10, purchase a "scren protector and you are good. I have had one on my 17 Crv and it is fine. I don't know how you can use the HU unless you touch it??

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know how you can use the HU unless you touch it??
The Head Up Display is electrically operated - it opens/retracts at the push of a button. I have no need to touch it.

I've purchased some quality spectacle/glasses cleaning cloth, so will give that a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Personally, I would try to avoid touching the polycarbonate at all.. preferring to use canned air and a camera lens brush.. as the camera pros do. That said... it is hard to avoid outgasing deposits inside vehicle cabins.. so yeah... high quality glass cleaning cloth and solution is probably your best bet if air alone won't achieve results. Treat is as you would an optically coated camera lens and you should be fine. (y)

Separately... regarding the suggestion to put a protector on it in an earlier post, which you accurately pointed out is redundant anyway ..... applying any sort of screen protector to a surface like this or any sort of touch screen like the Head Unit, I would avoid it like the plague. Most screen protectors simply do not work well in the typical environment of a vehicle cabin due to harsh extremes of temperature over time. The exception to this consideration would be protectors supplied by companies who actually do industrial grade screen protectors... such as Photodon (I put one of their screen protectors on my head unit on my 2017 CRV long ago and it is ACES in terms of quality and durability even in cabin temperature extremes Amazon.com: Photodon Clear, Anti-Scratch Screen Protector for Honda CR-V 2017 EX/EX-L/Touring 7-inch Navigation with Mobile Screen Protector Installation and Care kit: Computers & Accessories )

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The recess of the HUD is awkward - that alone is enough to put me off from ever daring to attempt putting on some sort of screen protector!

But yeh, the "hands off" approach is the one I am taking for sure.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
do you use HUD that much?
Yes and no.

When venturing to somewhere new, its easier to use for the Nav as you are looking "dead ahead" and dont have to take your eyes off the road to look at the infotainment screen.

And as you know, cars seem to get dust all over the place and in hard to reach crevices - the HUD recess is the same.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I picked up some air duster cans from the pound shop I will give them a try
Your right about dust most modern cars seem to be dust magnets

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up some air duster cans from the pound shop I will give them a try
Your right about dust most modern cars seem to be dust magnets
When you get your CRV, you will notice that the HUD closing "door" doesnt sit completely snug/flush with the upper housing, so sadly, dust and other particles will manage to sneak in! Grrrrr!

Reactions: CRV4575

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,195 Posts
You didn't get one in the North American version. But you can see it here. We also didn't get folding mirrors or the very popular Electric Dog Polisher.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^
Thats the one!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Clean it with a micros fiber as said earlier. Then for under $10, purchase a "scren protector and you are good. I have had one on my 17 Crv and it is fine. I don't know how you can use the HU unless you touch it??
They are talking about the HUD not the HU.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts