Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed a lot of finger prints on my HU display and used a little water and a microfiber cloth to try to clean it off, but you can still clearly see marks on the frequently touched area. I'm not sure if the display is a glass or plastic screen. If it were glass I don't think the marks would have stayed on it after I wiped it down. What are some products I can use to clean the screen more thoroughly without ruining it or should I just put in a little more elbow grease with the water and cloth? I do have some glasses cleaning liquid in a spray bottle if you guys think that would work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I noticed a lot of finger prints on my HU display and used a little water and a microfiber cloth to try to clean it off, but you can still clearly see marks on the frequently touched area. I'm not sure if the display is a glass or plastic screen. If it were glass I don't think the marks would have stayed on it after I wiped it down. What are some products I can use to clean the screen more thoroughly without ruining it or should I just put in a little more elbow grease with the water and cloth? I do have some glasses cleaning liquid in a spray bottle if you guys think that would work.
There is an electronic spray for displays that work on glass and synthetic screens that should be safe. I bought it years ago at radio shack and later on in supermarkets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is an electronic spray for displays that work on glass and synthetic screens that should be safe. I bought it years ago at radio shack and later on in supermarkets.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
Yeah... finger smudges are notoriously tough to deal with... as they are oil deposits with any and all manner of other debris from the surface of the finger. And unless you clean often.. it tends to collect and "bake in", making it harder to remove. I would NOT go the elbow grease route here. :)

What I have found works best is a two step process, as follows (this also applies to that very soft, and prone to scratch, clear screen on our instrument panel):

Step 1: I use a cleaning fluid approved for cleaning eye glasses, and I prefer pre-moistened single use cleaning wipes as they are easy to keep in the center console cubby and are always clean and fresh since they are single use. They also make these for computer displays and those would work well too. So.. lightly clean the HU surface with this method. It will generally leave a little residue left from the residuals of the finger smudges... hence Step 2:

Step 2: I spray just a tiny bit of distilled water on a clean fresh microfiber cloth, and gently use it to wipe the entire surface of the HU one more time. This will effectively remove any residue from Step 1.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I think people are getting a little too worried about the HU display scratching. It's not like the plastic dash display cover. I just use a bit of windex and a micro fiber cloth and its fine. The glass is fairly scratch resistant.

Rob

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
51 Posts
I bought a glass cover on Amazon, just took a chance on the highest-rated one. It took care of any scratch worries, and looks great, a deeper, richer black.

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
I think people are getting a little too worried about the HU display scratching. It's not like the plastic dash display cover. I just use a bit of windex and a micro fiber cloth and its fine. The glass is fairly scratch resistant.

Rob

I agree that it is nowhere near as fragile as the plastic screen on the instrument display.

That said... there is a thin coating on the HU that forms the touch screen feature, and that can and will be much more easily damaged compared to the underlying glass. [In my wifes prior Accord, she bumped her cell phone into her HU one day and actually put a visible defect into the HU surfaces touch screen coating.. the underlying glass surface was fine. Hit is just right I guess.]

Yes.. glass is resistant to damage by normal cleaning solutions and cloths, but I would caution owners to be prudent and careful with regard to the touch screen layer. Any grit on the cleaning cloth or the HU glass and you can in fact apply a scratch into the touch screen surface. So always make sure you first lightly dust off the surface, then be sure to use a fresh clean micro-fiber cloth along with any cleaning fluid.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I agree that it is nowhere near as fragile as the plastic screen on the instrument display.

That said... there is a thin coating on the HU that forms the touch screen feature, and that can and will be much more easily damaged compared to the underlying glass. [In my wifes prior Accord, she bumped her cell phone into her HU one day and actually put a visible defect into the HU surfaces touch screen coating.. the underlying glass surface was fine. Hit is just right I guess.]

Yes.. glass is resistant to damage by normal cleaning solutions and cloths, but I would caution owners to be prudent and careful with regard to the touch screen layer. Any grit on the cleaning cloth or the HU glass and you can in fact apply a scratch into the touch screen surface. So always make sure you first lightly dust off the surface, then be sure to use a fresh clean micro-fiber cloth along with any cleaning fluid.
Yes I agree on making sure there is no dust and would add one thing.
If your thinking about using the same cleaning process on a flat screen TV DO Not Do IT !!!

TV's have a thin coating on the glass to prevent glare and stuff like Windex and most other cleaners will eventually strip it off. (First Hand Experience Talking).
Just use a damp micro fiber cloth with sometimes a drop or two of soap and then dry with another micro fiber cloth. Yes I know it's not car related but I don't want anyone to use Windex on a TV screen.

Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
For all those concerned about damaging the screen, just get a screen protector like I did. You can get them for cheap on amazon. The one I got cleans very easily with just a microfiber I keep stashed in the car. I’ve never had to add water or chemicals, with the exception of an occasional antibacterial wipe to sanitize. The screen protector does not interfere with the responsiveness of the screen at all. I have zero issues. Also, screen pro tip: go into your settings menu and look for the sensitivity setting. It’s on medium by default. Set it to high. I feel like the screen responds more quickly and accurately as a result.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The screen protectors advertise an oleophobic, fingerprint-resistant coating. Lies.

Some of them had to be completely overhauled just to prevent the glue melting in direct sunlight and creating hotspots.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CR-V EX-L
14 Posts
For all those concerned about damaging the screen, just get a screen protector like I did. You can get them for cheap on amazon. The one I got cleans very easily with just a microfiber I keep stashed in the car. I’ve never had to add water or chemicals, with the exception of an occasional antibacterial wipe to sanitize. The screen protector does not interfere with the responsiveness of the screen at all. I have zero issues. Also, screen pro tip: go into your settings menu and look for the sensitivity setting. It’s on medium by default. Set it to high. I feel like the screen responds more quickly and accurately as a result.
Which one did you buy off Amazon? Do you have a recommendation for a screen protector?

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
A good recommendation.

For anyone inclined to put a screen protector on their HU... definitely go with one that is actual tempered glass (like the one linked above) rather then older style plastic. much more robust, better reflectivity characteristics, and much easier to install without bubbling. Tough to remove though without destroying it.. so make sure you follow directions closely and carefully, particularly cleaning and prep of the surface before applying.

personally, I only ever use these on smart phones... and they are outstanding protection on a device that very much needs it, given everything that the typical smart phone is exposed to. Wife drops her phone somewhat often and on two occasions, she has cracked the glass screen protector so I replaced them.. but that is superior to having to have the actual phone glass replaced.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A good recommendation.

For anyone inclined to put a screen protector on their HU... definitely go with one that is actual tempered glass (like the one linked above) rather then older style plastic. much more robust, better reflectivity characteristics, and much easier to install without bubbling. Tough to remove though without destroying it.. so make sure you follow directions closely and carefully, particularly cleaning and prep of the surface before applying.

personally, I only ever use these on smart phones... and they are outstanding protection on a device that very much needs it, given everything that the typical smart phone is exposed to. Wife drops her phone somewhat often and on two occasions, she has cracked the glass screen protector so I replaced them.. but that is superior to having to have the actual phone glass replaced.
Great advice. I had to order a second one because I put the first one on slightly crooked, only a small portion had started to stick, and it cracked when I lifted it to try putting it on more straight.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
51 Posts
That's the one I bought, I've been happy with the looks and performance. I had a corner touch down as I was lowering it into place, but was able to s l o w l y lift it off and position it right. No bubbles!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Installing a screen protector seems pretty hard to do without getting dust under it in the car.

When I install it on my phone I always do it after a hot shower so that the steam gets rid of a lot of the dust in the air.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts