Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a photo of a blemish in the paint of a 2000 CR-V that we just bought. A few people said it was damage to the clear coat but I know little about dealing with paint issues. It does seem to be close to be on the surface when I rub my finger over it.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

View attachment 3554

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
That looks way past the clear coat. That's a big sun burn. The only way to really fix that is to have the whole panel it's on paint matched, and repainted. It can be feathered, but no matter what, the only solution is paint, there's nothing to add to fix it, that's down to the primer almost.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
You need to put paint there before it will buff. Buffing it now will just make it look worse and possibly peel up more paint. Whole panel needs redone or it needs to be sanded and feathered.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Well, feathering is the act of repairing metallic paint without having to repaint an entire panel or to get it to look like the rest of the car. It's something only a professional can do. I worked that stuff for 3 years, and it's one of the hardest things there is. You basically have to spray the regular color, cut with 50% clear coat, then you spray it again, but cut it by 50% again, and you keep doing that till it "feathers" in. You know how one feathers a clutch? Same thing, gradually make the color match so you don't notice the transition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Serj22. Does not sound like anything I will take on. We bought the car with a somewhat rough exterior but reasonable mileage and decent interior. The exterior will probably stay somewhat rough, at least for now.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Thanks Serj22. Does not sound like anything I will take on. We bought the car with a somewhat rough exterior but reasonable mileage and decent interior. The exterior will probably stay somewhat rough, at least for now.
IF it really bugs you, have it painted, but if you just wanted an economic car to help you move the family around and have fun, I wouldn't worry too much about it, because that little spot right there is going to cost at least $300.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts