Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is still pretty new but I'm trying to be proactive about keeping the sunroof drains clear. Due to COVID our cars are parked on our drveway more than usual and the CRV has been under a tree thereby increasing the possibility of debris.

I've poured a little water into the front drains to see where it exits and as others have said it comes out right above the front wheel mud guards. I gather there is a 90 bend where the tube exits the car body. I've threaded a weed wacker string down and can get about 3-4ft before it meets an obstruction. It doesn't seem quite far enough for it be at the exit 90 degree grommet - or maybe it is? Has anyone managed to feed something all the way thru? If not, any suggestion on how to clean the entire length? I'm uncomfortable about compressed air because I've heard others (on other cars) doing that and the pressure seperates an internal pipe/connector causing a bigger problem. What has to be done to access the exit point of the drain so that a weed wacker string could clear from bottom up? Other ideas?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I can’t see how the drain would clog esp if you keep the sunroof shut while under the tree?
I would be more concerned with periodically lubricating the mechanism with some grease and wiping off the track. My TSX is over 17 years old ..yes over 17 years, driven daily including the winter except weekly lately, normally hand washed weekly, waxed and clay barred yearly, no surface rust, and no issues with the sunroof drain channel, just grease the mechanism annually. CRV will be treated in the same manner. I try to avoid mechanical car washes as much as possible..maybe 3 or 4 per year when temperatures are way below freezing. If sunny and just below freezing, I still handwash.

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
My car is still pretty new but I'm trying to be proactive about keeping the sunroof drains clear. Due to COVID our cars are parked on our drveway more than usual and the CRV has been under a tree thereby increasing the possibility of debris.

I've poured a little water into the front drains to see where it exits and as others have said it comes out right above the front wheel mud guards. I gather there is a 90 bend where the tube exits the car body. I've threaded a weed wacker string down and can get about 3-4ft before it meets an obstruction. It doesn't seem quite far enough for it be at the exit 90 degree grommet - or maybe it is? Has anyone managed to feed something all the way thru? If not, any suggestion on how to clean the entire length? I'm uncomfortable about compressed air because I've heard others (on other cars) doing that and the pressure seperates an internal pipe/connector causing a bigger problem. What has to be done to access the exit point of the drain so that a weed wacker string could clear from bottom up? Other ideas?
You could take it for periodic exterior car washes to flush the channels.

Even in pandemic i get bi weekly car washes and had our yearly detail done & regular 303 protectant.

i dont think a month or two will make a diff its the people that leave sludge and dont clean their cars for a long time that usually have issues.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
I've threaded a weed wacker string down and can get about 3-4ft before
You want to go UP from the bottom, not down from the top. Down just makes the blockage more stuck. :)

But, I think there is a joint in there somewhere. I don't know where or how to get to it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one of those usb cameras (and yes its way too big).

I seem to be getting more suggestions of why I don't need to clean the drains versus how to clean the drains :) You find people all over the internet with internal leaks due to blocked drains so while its theoretically not necessary practical experience says its very necessary. Also, the external sunroof seals are not designed to be 100% waterproof and the drain is there for any water (and dust, dirt etc) that gets past the seal - so its not just ingress when the roof is open.

Agree bottom up would be better but since there is no visible lower drain tube exit (it's buried under the fender liners or in the inner body itself) I was trying to think of other solutions. And now reaching a roadblock (literally) top down so was looking for others who have already solved the problem.

Honda should have designed this a bit better for ease of maintenance (no sharp turns) . I guess it helps their bottom line if they can charge $1800 out of warranty to fix the leak and damage caused (one example I found)

Maybe some Liquid Plumber (like for blocked sinks) might work when it does block but as I say I'm trying to be proactive vs fixing it after a leak (and that would probably do more harm than good anyway)

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,577 Posts
I have one of those usb cameras (and yes its way too big).

I seem to be getting more suggestions of why I don't need to clean the drains versus how to clean the drains :) You find people all over the internet with internal leaks due to blocked drains so while its theoretically not necessary practical experience says its very necessary. Also, the external sunroof seals are not designed to be 100% waterproof and the drain is there for any water (and dust, dirt etc) that gets past the seal - so its not just ingress when the roof is open.

Agree bottom up would be better but since there is no visible lower drain tube exit (it's buried under the fender liners or in the inner body itself) I was trying to think of other solutions. And now reaching a roadblock (literally) top down so was looking for others who have already solved the problem.

Honda should have designed this a bit better for ease of maintenance (no sharp turns) . I guess it helps their bottom line if they can charge $1800 out of warranty to fix the leak and damage caused (one example I found)

Maybe some Liquid Plumber (like for blocked sinks) might work when it does block but as I say I'm trying to be proactive vs fixing it after a leak (and that would probably do more harm than good anyway)
Actually the Liquid Plumber idea is not far off track. But instead of something that caustic, the cleaning/foaming solution used to clean off the coils and drain of the car's AC system would work very well. Instead of shooting it up the condensate line under the car to clean the AC, you send it down the sunroof drains. Let it work for 15 mins and flush with water.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would try compressed air first after vacuuming/cleaning the track and then a little water. Especially if this is just preventative maintenance and the drain is not all plugged up. I likely have never had this issue as I park mostly underground or in a garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts