Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 CR-V EX - 7,000 miles.
It happens about 80% of the time -it doesn't matter if I'm pulling out of the driveway in the morning or pulling into a parking spot at work after a 20 mile ride. When I am driving very slow and I apply the brakes I hear a loud clicking noise, anyone in the car with me or standing outside the car within earshot hears it and... it's kind of embarrassing:(look at my new car CLICK CLICK CLICK!

The dealership mechanics said "it's normal shifting of the brake pads in the caliper" I don't think anything should be making any loud clicking noises on a new 2015 vehicle :mad: Even though it's still under warranty I'm considering taking it to a trusted local mechanic to see what they think. Except for this issue and the steering wheel feeling kind of like plastic I absolutely love my CR-V but, if the local mechanic says it's a normal noise then I guess I will have no choice but to live with it...and if that's the case I'll plan on trading it in 4 years from now and I will never ever buy another Honda.

I did a little research online and found similar complaints on a Honda Odyssey forum. A few people on the forum thought it was the caliper pins sticking and releasing making a metal on metal clicking noise. I'm no mechanic -I don't even know what a caliper pin is.

I also found this on Honda's FAQ.
Why do my brakes make a "clicking" noise when I back out of a parking place and once again when I drive forward? A clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pads allows for heat expansion and avoids corrosion between the caliper bracket and the brake pads. That clearance can cause the pads to hit the caliper brackets when you first apply the brakes in a new directions of travel. When you back up and apply the brakes and then drive forward and apply the brakes, the "click" noise you hear is a normal characteristic of the brake system.

Am I the only CR-V owner here with this problem?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Is the sound coming from the rear? I'm not sure if they improved the design on the '15, but CRV's have a reputation for the pads sticking in the back brakes. Apparently this is known at least by the dealers because many dealers now offer some kind of "rear brake maintenance" service that includes disassembling and lubricating the rear brake assembly on a periodic basis. I don't recall the mileage that I required my first brake service on my '09, but it was much earlier than I expected and I asked the dealer why the back brakes needed service so early and also that this was the first vehicle I had owned that required rear brake service before the fronts needed service (the front brakes take the majority of the load). At the time the dealer commented that it was due to the "open" construction of the rear brakes and basically the dirt and road debris was causing the wear (total BS). But now the dealer shrugs and agrees it's just a design flaw and nothing can be done but more frequent service to prevent wear.

Anyway, the click sound mentioned in that FAQ refers to a one-time sound caused by the change in direction. If you have an ongoing click-click-click then your pads are probably sticking and rubbing on the caliper, which will cause premature wear over time. At that mileage, I would demand that they disassemble and inspect the brakes... they may tell you everything is normal, but I would bet the service rectifies the noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
It sounds like it's only coming from the front. It's definately multiple clicks.
I will make a note of what you said about the pads sticking and rubbing. Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts