Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My climate control audio command system doesn’t work. The system acknowledges audio commands by repeating them but fails to carry out the action. Climate control works OK by manually selecting commands on the touchscreen but that’s not what I want, I want to tell it what to do and keep my eyes on the road.

I have had an enquiry lodged with my Honda dealership regarding this problem for over six months. Dealership techs have confirmed it’s a problem by replicating it in cars on the lot. Honda UK have requested assistance from Honda Japan who have replied that they don’t envisage a fix being made available to sort this out. Not the response I or the dealership expected.

Apparently I am the only owner to raise a concern. I know this is incorrect as another UK forum member has the same issue and raised it with their dealer.

If possible can other Hybrid owners try their climate control audio and let me know if it works. I’d like to gauge if this is a problem across the board or if it only affects a specific range. Easy one to try is Fan Speed Up / Fan Speed Down, you should hear the fan speed change. Cheers.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,723 Posts
As per our prior/private discussions - this, like the SatNav volume issue may be isolated to Hybrids.

Be interesting to see responses.

Reactions: Charlie1960

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,485 Posts
It never even occurred to me to try and control the CC system by voice, nor can I find anything in the owner's manual that even seems to imply that it is possible.
Is this a UK/EU (Japan built) only thing? Like the Head Up Display?
I'll try it out when my car returns from vacation.
edit: Silly me, I was looking under "climate control" for info on how to control the CC system.
It was under "voice control operation".

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
It never even occurred to me to try and control the CC system by voice, nor can I find anything in the owner's manual that even seems to imply that it is possible.
Is this a UK/EU (Japan built) only thing? Like the Head Up Display?
I'll try it out when my car returns from vacation.
edit: Silly me, I was looking under "climate control" for info on how to control the CC system.
It was under "voice control operation".
Slightly off topic, but I have to congratulate you @beww, you are one of very few who correctly call it "Head Up Display". Most say "Heads Up Display" The idea is the operator keeps his/her head up and can cee vital info. ONE head not plural! My hat's off to you! (y)

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
353 Posts
Voice climate control does work in my vehicle but like the infotainment system the voice recognition is not the best.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,485 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I have to congratulate you @beww, you are one of very few who correctly call it "Head Up Display". Most say "Heads Up Display" The idea is the operator keeps his/her head up and can cee vital info. ONE head not plural! My hat's off to you! (y)
Thanks. I'd guess most people who have flown with one would name it correctly, as you say the name is the function, unless you have multiple heads.
But that's probably not a whole lot of people.
Maybe people think it's an aural alert: "Heads Up! Mountain Ahead!"?

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,723 Posts
Voice climate control does work in my vehicle but like the infotainment system the voice recognition is not the best.
I think many members/owners have come to accept that Honda's engineering brilliance does not extend to its infotainment systems!

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
353 Posts
I think many members/owners have come to accept that Honda's engineering brilliance does not extend to its infotainment systems!
Now if we could just teach them to outsource to someone who knows how to do it right.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,723 Posts
Now if we could just teach them to outsource to someone who knows how to do it right.
....or simply buy in something from Pioneer....

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But it would be very interesting if 2019/20 owners could try their climate control audio command system and report back
Thanks for those who have responded so far but I was hoping for more reports. I’m trying to determine whether this is localised problem to UK/European Gen 5 Hybrids or it affects other models across the board.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,723 Posts
Thanks for those who have responded so far but I was hoping for more reports. I’m trying to determine whether this is localised problem to UK/European Gen 5 Hybrids or it affects other models across the board.
Might be worth opening a poll in the usual 5th Gen section for more feedback?

Reactions: Charlie1960

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have to train the system in the CR-V? My previous Rav4 Limited had voice commands. They worked intermittently. Though I'm not certain, I believe every time the software or something got updated, it lost all it's references. Usually, they would work, then suddenly be way off. e.g. I said, "Call Kim". It responded, "Calling David Tiffenbach". As far away from the word "Kim" as you can get. I got tired of retraining it and stopped using it all together.

·
Registered
458 Posts
As Charlie 1960 says this is a wierd fault
as you say climate control it will appear on the screen
what we need is the next magic word to make it increase or decrease the temperature

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
This video mentions "2016 and 2017 CR-V" They are NOT the same, as the 2017 started a new generation, the Gen 5.

It is possible that set of commands will work in Gen 5 CR-Vs. I am not able to test mine now as wife has it at work. Anyone else able to test it now? Try saying "climate control" first as the video says.

FWIW, I always find it easier to just push the buttons I need rather than trying and failing with the improper spoken commands.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to agree the voice control for the climate system on my CRV hybrid hasnt worked since new May 2019 “still waiting”
Brinor

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,723 Posts
Just to agree the voice control for the climate system on my CRV hybrid hasnt worked since new May 2019 “still waiting”
Brinor
Strange.

Definitely seems limited to Hybrids.....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts