Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Moderator Edit:

Short Summary -

Clock Time/Date Issue - Not GPS Related.

Honda USA aware - possible fix due by August 2022, not guaranteed. No timeline yet for Honda UK.

UK members - contact Honda UK via:

This thread will be locked if people cannot grow up and rein in their pseudo hysteria.

Read the thread BEFORE you consider posting.

We dont want to do this, but unless any posts actually have value, then we're left with no option but to close this thread and you'll ruin it for everyone.

Its your call.

-TDK

All of a sudden my clock is resetting to 2002 at 4pm everytime I restart the car. Any thoughts? Maybe need to update Navigation DVD?

·
Premium Member
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
5,244 Posts
All of a sudden my clock is resetting to 2002 at 4pm everytime I restart the car. Any thoughts? Maybe need to update Navigation DVD?
Have you checked your battery? Under load?
Unlikely to be the DVD.

·
Registered
2010 2.2 diesel EX
11 Posts
My Wifes 2010 EX, clock has started telling the wrong time. It was fine on her way home on Friday, today it was a couple of hours slow. I tried to reset it but the + & - keys are doing odd things. I eventually got the time correct, next time we stopped and switched off the ignition it was slow again. Wondered if it might be a sync issue with the atomicic clock or just bad luck and we have a faulty unit?

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
10,908 Posts
Try and do a hard reset (hold the power button down).

Failing that, disconnect the car battery for an hour and then try adjusting the clock to the correct time.

·
Registered
2008 EX-L FWD
1 Posts
Scooter,

My nav unit started doing the same thing yesterday, 1/1/2022. 2008 EX-L FWD. Not a battery issue. Found discussion on another forum where 04-06 Acura TL owners ran into a similar problem last January. There was no clear fix. Some people upgraded to the '07-'08 unit, which has a more recent DVD, while others were pushing Acura for a DVD update for the '04-'06 unit. I think they are still waiting.

There is a 2021 turquoise DVD update that is currently available for our nav unit. I'm reluctant to pay $150+ for it without knowing for sure that it will fix the time and date problem. On the other hand, it is the last update available for our system, and it may sell out if this is a widespread issue. I am currently running the 2011 turquoise DVD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I know the feeling that I’m a little reluctant to drop $150 if it might not fix it. I’ve got the 2009 DVD that shipped with the car.

but if it’s the last edition, it might not hurt to have it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Slow..?

It is synchronized by the audio, unit and the audio unit is synched by GPS. If you have correct minutes and wrong hour means it is set in the wrong time zone or has the daylight timesaving.

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 mk3 Crv 2.2 ictdi EX Aero
18 Posts
Weird. Same thing happened on ours and I was going to post the same thing.

Each time I turn on the ignition the clock is blank for a few seconds then sets itself to 1:00

Its almost like the millennium bug was 22 years late!

Was planning to check fuses in the morning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Came to the forum trying to find the answer to this.

My 2007 CRV EX has the same issue. As of yesterday (1st Jan 22) my clock is also wrong, and the + and - buttons are not behaving properly when you reset the time.

I think I know what the cause is, but I doubt there will be a proper solution.

It hasn't been in the news much but yesterday the date was written by many computers as 2201010001 (YYMMDDHHMM). Many older computers that store the date this way cannot handle any number bigger than 2147483647, so as soon as the year began with a 22, it fails and can no longer register the date/time correctly.

I can't prove this for certain, but the timing is not likely to be coincidence. It's basically like the millennium bug on a smaller scale.

Edit: the same issue wrecked some Microsoft email servers yesterday too:
Microsoft Exchange year 2022 bug in FIP-FS breaks email delivery

It is ultimately a hardware and software issue so I doubt Honda will roll out a fix for vehicles that are this old.

The only work around I can think of is to figure out just how on earth you can adjust the time correctly with +/- in the settings, although as others have found what you do in the settings seems to bear no relation to the final time you end up with.

On the plus side my CRV is now 15 years old and apart from the clutch/DMF failing at 13 years old, this is the first thing to break on it in all that time. :)

Happy to be corrected if this is not right but the timing and the fact that it has started to affect many cars at the same exact time means it's likely to the the root cause IMHO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Wifes 2010 EX, clock has started telling the wrong time. It was fine on her way home on Friday, today it was a couple of hours slow. I tried to reset it but the + & - keys are doing odd things. I eventually got the time correct, next time we stopped and switched off the ignition it was slow again. Wondered if it might be a sync issue with the atomicic clock or just bad luck and we have a faulty unit?
I just noticed the same issues today with my 2010 CRV EXL. One thing I haven't seen mentioned was that the date (which doesn't seem to have a reset capability anywhere I can find) is set to January 1, 2002. I've tried resetting the time, but it reverts to whatever it wants too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue here on my 2009 EX. I agree with the other poster who said this is a mini y2k issue. The hardware and/or software can’t handle the size of the integer any longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, our 2010 EX with Navigation started showing January 1st 2002, 12:00. The clock advances on its own but stays on January 1, 2002. The reset option lets you set a time, but as soon as you leave the screen, it ignores the value. Seeing that we are unlikely to get a software update to fix this and I rely on the car clock constantly, I think it might be time to buy a Tesla.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, our 2010 EX with Navigation started showing January 1st 2002, 12:00. The clock advances on its own but stays on January 1, 2002. The reset option lets you set a time, but as soon as you leave the screen, it ignores the value. Seeing that we are unlikely to get a software update to fix this and I rely on the car clock constantly, I think it might be time to buy a Tesla.
My 2010 EX is doing the same thing, was ok today shows Jan 1st 2002 12:00

My 2010 EX is doing the same thing, was ok today shows Jan 1st 2002 12:00
sorry my time is 2:00 I am in Arizona

·
Registered
8 Posts
OMG! just signed up to figure this thing out, and saw this post! Exactly my situation. With the new year, my clock and calendar have stopped working, and it’s been impossible setting them correctly. And I have the latest software, purchased maybe two years ago? PLEASE UPDATE on this if anyone finds the solution. I am thinking it’s the same issue you’re suggesting.

thx!

Came to the forum trying to find the answer to this.

My 2007 CRV EX has the same issue. As of yesterday (1st Jan 22) my clock is also wrong, and the + and - buttons are not behaving properly when you reset the time.

I think I know what the cause is, but I doubt there will be a proper solution.

It hasn't been in the news much but yesterday the date was written by many computers as 2201010001 (YYMMDDHHMM). Many older computers that store the date this way cannot handle any number bigger than 2147483647, so as soon as the year began with a 22, it fails and can no longer register the date/time correctly.

I can't prove this for certain, but the timing is not likely to be coincidence. It's basically like the millennium bug on a smaller scale.

Edit: the same issue wrecked some Microsoft email servers yesterday too:
Microsoft Exchange year 2022 bug in FIP-FS breaks email delivery

It is ultimately a hardware and software issue so I doubt Honda will roll out a fix for vehicles that are this old.

The only work around I can think of is to figure out just how on earth you can adjust the time correctly with +/- in the settings, although as others have found what you do in the settings seems to bear no relation to the final time you end up with.

On the plus side my CRV is now 15 years old and apart from the clutch/DMF failing at 13 years old, this is the first thing to break on it in all that time. :)

Happy to be corrected if this is not right but the timing and the fact that it has started to affect many cars at the same exact time means it's likely to the the root cause IMHO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OMG! just signed up to figure this thing out, and saw this post! Exactly my situation. With the new year, my clock and calendar have stopped working, and it’s been impossible setting them correctly. And I have the latest software, purchased maybe two years ago? PLEASE UPDATE on this if anyone finds the solution. I am thinking it’s the same issue you’re suggesting.

thx!
Sadly I don't think there will be a way to fix it. Honda would have to replace the hardware and/or issue new software for the unit.

I would be interested to know if anyone with an aftermarket head unit has the issue.

1 - 20 of 228 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.