Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 228 Posts

· The. Admin. Istrator.
11,288 Posts
If I did go down the new head unit route would I still keep same functions as old one eg reverse camera voice recognition etc
Depends on the brand.

Most likely you would be able to keep the reverse camera, but the voice recognition may be tricky. Frankly, I'd rather have a better headunit than those two - particularly if you have reverse parking sensors.

· Moderate
2,667 Posts
Most likely you would be able to keep the reverse camera, but the voice recognition may be tricky.
Gen3 voice recognition is worthless anyway (I'm very good at different accents, to no avail "I beg your pardon?").

Modern AA/CP head units rely on Google/Apple voice recognition which work like a charm.

· Registered
2011 CRV EX IDTEC
28 Posts
If Honda doesn't have an easy fix for this they might offer some deal on new units, not likely but you never know.
I'd wait and see what Honda does before I'd spend a lot of money.
Maybe they'll provide a nice brass Honda-branded mechanical clock for the dash?
😂😂 certainly be better than the clock I’ve got at the moment yeah fingers crossed they come up with something

Depends on the brand.

Most likely you would be able to keep the reverse camera, but the voice recognition may be tricky. Frankly, I'd rather have a better headunit than those two - particularly if you have reverse parking sensors.
Know what you mean sounds not great might have a look see what’s available for my hard earned £££

Gen3 voice recognition is worthless anyway (I'm very good at different accents, to no avail "I beg your pardon?").

Modern AA/CP head units rely on Google/Apple voice recognition which work like a charm.
Ha ha I’m Scottish so it doesn’t understand a word I say in any language 😀

· Registered
119 Posts
I will have to ament my reply regarding the GPS correction to time. My Civic (9thG) and CRV (4thG) are UK made and they are not affected.

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

· The. Admin. Istrator.
11,288 Posts
Know what you mean sounds not great might have a look see what’s available for my hard earned £££
Lots of solutions out there, both that do/not support reversing cam's - minor in the grand scheme of things.

But I agree with @mrtn re the voice command superiority of newer AA etc devices.

· Registered
2 Posts
Came to the forum trying to find the answer to this.

My 2007 CRV EX has the same issue. As of yesterday (1st Jan 22) my clock is also wrong, and the + and - buttons are not behaving properly when you reset the time.

I think I know what the cause is, but I doubt there will be a proper solution.

It hasn't been in the news much but yesterday the date was written by many computers as 2201010001 (YYMMDDHHMM). Many older computers that store the date this way cannot handle any number bigger than 2147483647, so as soon as the year began with a 22, it fails and can no longer register the date/time correctly.

I can't prove this for certain, but the timing is not likely to be coincidence. It's basically like the millennium bug on a smaller scale.

Edit: the same issue wrecked some Microsoft email servers yesterday too:
Microsoft Exchange year 2022 bug in FIP-FS breaks email delivery

It is ultimately a hardware and software issue so I doubt Honda will roll out a fix for vehicles that are this old.

The only work around I can think of is to figure out just how on earth you can adjust the time correctly with +/- in the settings, although as others have found what you do in the settings seems to bear no relation to the final time you end up with.

On the plus side my CRV is now 15 years old and apart from the clutch/DMF failing at 13 years old, this is the first thing to break on it in all that time. :)

Happy to be corrected if this is not right but the timing and the fact that it has started to affect many cars at the same exact time means it's likely to the the root cause IMHO.
Been having the same problem, only noticed it yesterday, every time I start the ignition clock starts from 1.00. I've checked fuses and gps shows 2002 as year and can't change it or save it as 2022. Really annoying radio stations are still preset, but always have the clock as my main display, must be a way of setting the year or a previous year to allow the clock to function

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,577 Posts
This is recurring to a block of CRV owners, gen3s, right?

Then it is a software bug somewhere.

If the CRVs are relying on an external source for setting time and date, then the problem could be at the source.

If time and date setting is via manual setting in the system, then it is a software bug in the systems.

We are talking about 10 year old CRVs here, so I would not expect any software update or TSBs from Honda. Your best hope is that it is a source error that can get corrected and everyone goes back to normal.

A clock/calendar problem is not really a problem in gen3s, just an inconvenience. In newer generation CRVs, the maintenance minders rely on accurate calendar and clock for part of their calculations.

· Registered
2 Posts
i talked with Honda dealer and they know the issue. they will get back to me with the solution (if there is a solution) within this week.
they will talk with Honda manufacturers to find a solution and as soon as they have an official answer, they will contact me.

as soon as i have their answer, i will post it.

Cheers
excellent. thank you.

· Premium Member
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,338 Posts
When I was young car clocks were a total joke. They used electrically rewinding mechanical clocks that almost never worked.
The first car clock I ever saw that actually worked was a Kienzle in a '68 Opel Kadett.
Interestingly, I collect clocks, I have a Kienzle that came out of an HE-111 that crashed in England during WWII.
It still keeps perfect time, has only needed routine cleaning.

No matter what ultimately happens, it's a black eye for Honda. Unfortunate.
Perhaps Honda will be giving away wrist watches?

• Wow
Reactions: mrtn

· Registered
Honda CRV I-VTEC RE5 Auto
32 Posts
Seems quite a few people have tweeted out to Honda UK.

Being Bank Holiday today, I would be surprised if any official response emerges.

That said, while its not nice for those of you afflicted, it is nice to see more UK members sign up to CRVOC - silver linings and all that :)
I only found out about this issue when I was watching a youtube video and someone commented yesterday about how to correct the time as its been wrong since 2022. I then had the lightbulb moment. Search google and was brought straight here.

Neil Basingstoke, Hampshire.

· Registered
1 Posts
All of a sudden my clock is resetting to 2002 at 4pm everytime I restart the car. Any thoughts? Maybe need to update Navigation DVD?
This has happened to me too. I have reset the the calendar and the clock numerous times. I really don’t car about the calendar but the clock UGH. The owners manual say it gets the information from the GPS, so why oh why

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
This has happened to me too. I have reset the the calendar and the clock numerous times. I really don’t car about the calendar but the clock UGH. The owners manual say it gets the information from the GPS, so why oh why
Why?
Because they are storing the date/time as a single signed int32.
There is nothing you can until and unless a software fix is issued.

· Registered
2 Posts
All of a sudden my clock is resetting to 2002 at 4pm everytime I restart the car. Any thoughts? Maybe need to update Navigation DVD?
Having the same issue here... Called honda. Of course they tell me it's a $500 piece of hardware in the dash, and refused to acknowledge that more than just mine has malfunctioned January 1st. They could "try" a software update for $200. Smh, what a joke... so, now I wait. 🙄🙄

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Having the same issue here... Called honda. Of course they tell me it's a $500 piece of hardware in the dash, and refused to acknowledge that more than just mine has malfunctioned January 1st. They could "try" a software update for $200. Smh, what a joke... so, now I wait. 🙄🙄
Once they get a few more calls they may back off on that "You're the Only One" line.

Reactions: williamsji

· The. Admin. Istrator.
11,288 Posts
There is nothing you can until and unless a software fix is issued.
Might sound uncouth, but I would not be surprised if Honda ended up doing precisely nothing. Why? Outdated systems that are not cost effective to support.

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Might sound uncouth, but I would not be surprised if Honda ended up doing precisely nothing. Why? Outdated systems that are not cost effective to support.
I agree. I'm sure there is a meeting happening somewhere right now.
I don't think they have any legal obligation to address the issue, but it could be a PR nightmare.
I can hear it now, "If they can't even make a clock work why should buy a car from them?"

81 - 100 of 228 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.