Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Honda CRV, just wondering if anybody has purchased sensors and cloned your existing sensor ID's onto these new sensors. I am having a really hard time finding these types of sensors. I have tried amazon and found the Schrader EZ sensors which I like, amazon says they are compatible but when I go to Shrader International they say the EZ sensors will not work with the 2012 CRV. Hoping to get some help finding this type of sensor, I have a set of all seasons on rims for the summer/fall months without sensors, Honda told me if I drive with no sensors the traction control light will come on and the AWD will be activated all the time.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Mine made it a week without sensors before the system decided alert me that there was an issue. I ended up with four new Honda sensors and a ATEQ Quickset programmer so I can switch back and forth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
'Honda' did not tell you that. Some clown at a dealer did.
I guess your right, service manager told me that, is that true?, I have found the sensors on ebay that I have been looking for, should have them this coming week, had them cloned with the same sensor codes that the original honda sensors have. Will have the installed in my all season set this week and will let you guys know how they are working.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up purchasing 4 Smart Sensors Pro + from United Auto Parts Supply on ebay, provided them with my original sensor codes and the year of my CRV, they program the sensors and send them to me ready to install. Checked the Smart Sensor Pro web site and these TPMS sensors are compatible with my 2012 CRV, will see how they work later this coming week.

·
Registered
868 Posts
How did you get the codes for the original sensors? And how much did the programmable sensors cost? I have read about these, but never actually knew anyone who used them.

Good for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you get the codes for the original sensors? And how much did the programmable sensors cost? I have read about these, but never actually knew anyone who used them.

Good for you.
Took the CRV to a local garage and asked them to scan the sensors, they went out with the scanning tool, I think they had a Bartec scanner, he scanned the 4 tires, got the codes then he went inside and tried to look for a code in his PC to charge me, couldn't find one so he let me take a picture of the scanner screen with the 4 codes on it and didn't charge me anything. The TPMS sensors that I purchased were $165 programmed and delivered. It will probably be the end of this coming week before I get these sensors put in my all seasons.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Took the CRV to a local garage and asked them to scan the sensors, they went out with the scanning tool, I think they had a Bartec scanner, he scanned the 4 tires, got the codes then he went inside and tried to look for a code in his PC to charge me, couldn't find one so he let me take a picture of the scanner screen with the 4 codes on it and didn't charge me anything. The TPMS sensors that I purchased were $165 programmed and delivered. It will probably be the end of this coming week before I get these sensors put in my all seasons.
Definitely some $ to be saved with your approach, and ease of change over of the two tire sets also. I have $100 in four new sensors and the Quickset tool was another $150. I have to plug into the OBD port with my Quickset to switch between sets, not difficult or time consuming, just something else I have to do.

·
Registered
868 Posts
That's great, brox. If all goes well, it's the smartest way for sure.

That damn TPMS system is a real pain in the ass. I have now driven 260 km's in two weeks since I took the winter wheels off. City driving only so far. Still no error light. What if I have a tire problem now? What would happen? Probably nothing. System is in a twilight zone. Totally useless. :mad:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Good for you.
In one of the above post I had said that these sensors were purchased from United Auto Parts Supply from ebay, the actual ebay store is allianceautomotive and if you search: 4 Universal Tire Air Pressure Sensor TPMS Duplicates OE No Pairing Required, you will see the TPMS sensors that are compatible with many of the CRV models. They are the green 315mhz Frequency sensors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had the sensors installed in the wheels today, no TPMS light on yet, I know it usually takes a while, so I will post again in a week or so after some mileage is put on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After driving a few hundred Kms the TPMS light came on. Contacted the ebay seller and they said that the sensors were programmed with the codes that I provided them with. Took the CRV to the garage to have them try to scan the sensors and get the codes from them to see if the were actually the same codes. They were not able to read the sensors so they hooked there TPMS tool to the OBD2 connection and read the sensors codes from the CRV this way. The codes they retrieved were not the same as the codes that I provided to the ebay seller. The ebay seller said that I could have the sensors removed and sent back to them for a refund or have the garage program the new sensors to the CRV. I told them that was why I purchased these sensors, so that would not have to do this every time I changed wheels. The ebay seller would not admit that the sensors were either not programmed at all or were programmed wrong, had a print out from the garage with the codes from these new sensors and a receipt from these sensors with the codes I wanted programmed, the codes were not even close to being the same, the seller didn't even want to see this. The seller hung up on me twice when I tried to contact them on the phone, and there email were always the same, sorry for the inconvenience, and to either send them back or have the CRV relearn the codes, they said that if the garage reprogram the sensors I would not be eligible to return them for a refund. Had to pay to have them put in and paid again to have them removed, didn't want to take the chance of sending them back and then have them return them and the same thing happen again, so I decide to get the full refund. I cannot see why these would not work if they had been programmed properly, the seller would not take any responsibility for the incorrect codes being programmed, so now I am driving with the TPMS light on.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Damn. What a nightmare. It made so much sense to go that way. I guess the secret is to buy them from a place that know what they're doing to program the sensors correctly. Could the codes be read from sensors before you install them? Would save the install/uninstall hassle and cost.

"The codes they retrieved were not the same as the codes that I provided to the ebay seller".

That makes no sense. Could it be that the garage that read your original sensors did it wrong? Gave you the wrong codes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damn. What a nightmare. It made so much sense to go that way. I guess the secret is to buy them from a place that know what they're doing to program the sensors correctly. Could the codes be read from sensors before you install them? Would save the install/uninstall hassle and cost.

"The codes they retrieved were not the same as the codes that I provided to the ebay seller".

That makes no sense. Could it be that the garage that read your original sensors did it wrong? Gave you the wrong codes?
That is what I probably should have done, with these sensors though, I think that you need that specific TPMS scanner to be able to read these sensors, the garage that I took it to, said that these were the first sensors that they were not able to read.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts