Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CRV clunks sometimes, mostly when backing out and then shifting to drive and taking off it clunks. It is almost as if the rear end is catching up to the front end. Sometimes it also clunks taking off from a stop. I have checked the U-Joints and they are good and the transmission and rear differential have fresh fluid in them. I have just a little under 150k miles on it. Does anyone know what this problem is?
Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,086 Posts
It takes about 1/2-2/3 of a second to switch between D and R. If you hit the gas before it engages, you'll definitely get a jolt. I usually just wait until I can feel/hear the tranny engage.

If that's not what you have going on, you may be looking at an internal transmission problem. What color was the old fluid you changed out of the transmission? Did it look slightly used, or was it black?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the tranny fluid a while back so I don't really remember the color but I think it was pretty dirty. It clunks also when taking off from a stop light too not just going from reverse to drive although it is the same clunk sound.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,086 Posts
You might want to ask a shop then. The way these transmissions are designed, 1st gear is engaged at all times in drive by way of a sprag clutch, so when you come to a stop, and the other gears disengage, 1st is already engaged because it was always engaged.

I did have a problem something like that when my transmission was on its way out last year. I was having problems with the shift solenoid assembly falling. That did cause 1st gear's hydraulic clutch to release when I stopped (which it's not supposed to do unless you shift to neutral). You could try replacing the shift solenoids and see if that fixes it. They are on the right side, at the bottom, behind a small black cover. Fairly easy to get at.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to ask a shop then. The way these transmissions are designed, 1st gear is engaged at all times in drive by way of a sprag clutch, so when you come to a stop, and the other gears disengage, 1st is already engaged because it was always engaged.

I did have a problem something like that when my transmission was on its way out last year. I was having problems with the shift solenoid assembly falling. That did cause 1st gear's hydraulic clutch to release when I stopped (which it's not supposed to do unless you shift to neutral). You could try replacing the shift solenoids and see if that fixes it. They are on the right side, at the bottom, behind a small black cover. Fairly easy to get at.
Thanks for your recommendation, I am looking into it. That sounds like this is the problem I am having. I notice from looking at them online that they have fine screens on them. I wonder if they are being restricted. Maybe I can clean them. I will try if they are easy to get to. Otherwise they are a little expensive but I will buy one if it will fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My CRV clunks sometimes, mostly when backing out and then shifting to drive and taking off it clunks. It is almost as if the rear end is catching up to the front end. Sometimes it also clunks taking off from a stop. I have checked the U-Joints and they are good and the transmission and rear differential have fresh fluid in them. I have just a little under 150k miles on it. Does anyone know what this problem is?
Thanks, Joe
Hey I have a 99 crv AWD, automatic and I as well started to feel the jump when switching in drive but at 205k and well it gave up on me. Mechanic ran his scanner thru it and well he told me it was a internal issue with the tranny and well it wasn’t cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts