Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like any recommendations on a good clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel assembly, for my 98 Honda CRV
Thanks so much MyHonda4Fun

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Most clutch kits don't come with a flywheel.
Is there a reason you think the flywheel needs to be replaced?

I couple of web searches came up with prices starting around US $200 for clutch, pressure plate, bearing, and alignment tool.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I couple of web searches came up with prices starting around US $200 for clutch, pressure plate, bearing, and alignment tool.
Thank you !

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not for my CR-V, but I've been reading lately that some organic brake pads and clutches still use asbestos as the friction material, and the last time I was looking for a clutch (2017) the ones at O'Reilley were the only ones that said they were asbestos free.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Exedy hands down. I've installed them on several of my Hondas' over the year and they've always performed amazing. This included HPDE events as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you !

Thanks for the feedback racoon, I just thought good practice to change flywheel at the same time and slave cylinder
once were in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exedy hands down. I've installed them on several of my Hondas' over the year and they've always performed amazing. This included HPDE events as well.
Thanks CR I was looking at Exedy also, what's your thought on changing out flywheel at the same time ? Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not for my CR-V, but I've been reading lately that some organic brake pads and clutches still use asbestos as the friction material, and the last time I was looking for a clutch (2017) the ones at O'Reilley were the only ones that said they were asbestos free.
Thank you !

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks CR I was looking at Exedy also, what's your thought on changing out flywheel at the same time ? Thanks
I can only speak from experience regarding my CRX, that's the only vehicle I have a lightened flywheel on, it's a Competition Clutch 11.7lb version and I love the way it drives. I have about 6 years on that setup with absolutely zero issues.

I'm not sure how well that would work on a CRX unless you're making a bit more steam, these things thrive on lower-end power. If you're planning on doing offroading (slower speeds) I'd probably suggest keeping the stock flywheel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have an '86 4runner. when i changed the clutch out, i wanted a stronger clutch pressure plate. most folks get them for offroading, but i got a 1200lb unit for pulling a trailer better in the hilly region i live. that's about 300lb over the toyota stock, and those little 22re's aren't the most powerful motors. it really helped. iow's, if offroading, and you do have a desire for more steam, perhaps there are stronger clutch options for the little crv. and, fwiw, i didn't change out the flywheel. you can just get it machined if need be. i didn't

anyway, two cents...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can only speak from experience regarding my CRX, that's the only vehicle I have a lightened flywheel on, it's a Competition Clutch 11.7lb version and I love the way it drives. I have about 6 years on that setup with absolutely zero issues.

I'm not sure how well that would work on a CRX unless you're making a bit more steam, these things thrive on lower-end power. If you're planning on doing offroading (slower speeds) I'd probably suggest keeping the stock flywheel.
Thanks !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have an '86 4runner. when i changed the clutch out, i wanted a stronger clutch pressure plate. most folks get them for offroading, but i got a 1200lb unit for pulling a trailer better in the hilly region i live. that's about 300lb over the toyota stock, and those little 22re's aren't the most powerful motors. it really helped. iow's, if offroading, and you do have a desire for more steam, perhaps there are stronger clutch options for the little crv. and, fwiw, i didn't change out the flywheel. you can just get it machined if need be. i didn't

anyway, two cents...
Thanks thook!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts