Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to the store yesterday and had the CMBS apply the brakes hard and flash the alert on the dash but the only thing near me was a leaf falling from a tree.

The leaf was a little odd in that is was a long thin leaf and it was doing a fast spiral/barrel roll, not just floating to the ground. I think it was from a eucalyptus.

I've had the CR V a little over 3 months and the only other false alarm I've had is when I'm in a 2 lane left turn lane and the car gets nervous about one of the other cars turning left but in the other lane.

Have others had their CMBS apply in similar situations?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I've only had the light flash at me (no brakes applied) when in bumper to bumper slow traffic. Where I live, our trees are only waist high, so not many leaves. LOL

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Ive never had this happen.
On the mid cycle refresh i bet the crv will get the sensors in the honda symbol like on the new pilot
So the inset radar caused so many problems with debris and snow on the 17-18 (for some)

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,202 Posts
It spotted something else.
Yes, like a car that was in front of you, but has just turned right, so it is no longer in your path. In this scenario, my CRV will brake (when using the ACC). I have learned to anticipate this, and apply slight pressure to the accelerator. Braking either stops, or hasn't yet started.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes, like a car that was in front of you, but has just turned right, so it is no longer in your path. In this scenario, my CRV will brake (when using the ACC). I have learned to anticipate this, and apply slight pressure to the accelerator. Braking either stops, or hasn't yet started.
My CRV used to do this and other weird things until i took it in for the oil dilution/heat safety recall/product update. I don’t know what they have updated exactly but the service advisor said they updated all the vehicles software to up to date. I can definitely see and feel the difference after the updates.
1- The engine sounds different. Cant pin point it but maybe riving higher at idle.
2- The cabin heats faster.
3- The acceleration is more abrupt. It feels as if Eco mode is off even though its on.
4- Have not noticed an increase in gas consumption.
5- Too early to tell if the oil level is rising. So far still at same level as when i picked it up after the updates a few days ago.
6- The ACC now sees further down the lane even though its at the shortest following distance (1 bar). Before the updates the CRV would accelerate hard down the lane even though the vehicles ahead have slowed down or stopped and i would have to break to avoid an accident.
7- The ACC now accelerates sooner after the vehicle on front of me leaves the lane and also it does not break the CRV to almost a stop and does not sound any false alarm of an imminent collision when the vehicle on front of me just turns right or left like it used to do.

Chinook

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have a constant (and now expected) false reaction with the same system: On a local 4-lane toll roll, the approach to the toll plaza is just beyond an overpass. If it's near midday, and the sun is bright, as soon as I come down the overpass, the system hits on the white rumble strips painted across the lanes.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The ACC is causing the braking in your case. However, when CMBS causes the braking, the accelerator pedal must be deeply depressed in order to cancel it, as noted on P. 536 of the Owners Manual.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a constant (and now expected) false reaction with the same system: On a local 4-lane toll roll, the approach to the toll plaza is just beyond an overpass. If it's near midday, and the sun is bright, as soon as I come down the overpass, the system hits on the white rumble strips painted across the lanes.
You could always use the dash button to temporarily disable CMBS when approaching this area.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My CRV used to do this and other weird things until i took it in for the oil dilution/heat safety recall/product update. I don’t know what they have updated exactly but the service advisor said they updated all the vehicles software to up to date. I can definitely see and feel the difference after the updates.
1- The engine sounds different. Cant pin point it but maybe riving higher at idle.
2- The cabin heats faster.
3- The acceleration is more abrupt. It feels as if Eco mode is off even though its on.
4- Have not noticed an increase in gas consumption.
5- Too early to tell if the oil level is rising. So far still at same level as when i picked it up after the updates a few days ago.
6- The ACC now sees further down the lane even though its at the shortest following distance (1 bar). Before the updates the CRV would accelerate hard down the lane even though the vehicles ahead have slowed down or stopped and i would have to break to avoid an accident.
7- The ACC now accelerates sooner after the vehicle on front of me leaves the lane and also it does not break the CRV to almost a stop and does not sound any false alarm of an imminent collision when the vehicle on front of me just turns right or left like it used to do.

Chinook
all this was done including oil change in less than 40 minutes.....I think I got ripped off with my so called fix

·
Registered
704 Posts
The sad fact is US DOT should never allowed a single system to control braking.

There should be 3 separate systems doing the detection with 2 out of 3 agreeing that the brakes need to be applied.

A camera in the windshield will trigger too many false braking and fail to see a real need to brake.

Check around the body shops - there are plenty of rear end collisions that have occurred due to CMBS false triggers hard braking and cars/trucks following to closely running into the stopping car. Not only Honda but all makes of vehicles.

If we required 5 systems to control the space shuttle with 3 out of 5 before doing any automatic maneuver - our cars need at least 3 systems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have driven my new 2018 CRV for about 3 weeks now. The Brake thing has come on 4 times so far. Twice for nothing more than a dip or hillock in the road. I hate it. I dislike that so much of the window is taken up with this useless thing as well.
Is there someway to get rid of the entire thing or at least turn it off?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have driven my new 2018 CRV for about 3 weeks now. The Brake thing has come on 4 times so far. Twice for nothing more than a dip or hillock in the road. I hate it. I dislike that so much of the window is taken up with this useless thing as well.
Is there someway to get rid of the entire thing or at least turn it off?
I'd have the dealer take a look at it, that's not normal. Suspect it needs to be recalibrated. There is a button on the dash to temporarily turn off CMBS. Every time you start the engine it defaults back on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.