Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 CRV. My check engine light came on after a refueling.

I got a code reader, and it said PO133, "slow o2 sensor" .

Does that mean my 02 sensor is going? Cost to replace?

·
Registered
428 Posts
RockAuto.com has Denso O2 Sensor (upstream, P/N: 2344011) for $37.79

7/8" wrench needed to remove and install the O2 sensor. Seems like the upstream O2 is underneath the car by the oil drain area before the catalyst converter.

Here's a video I found on youtube that may help you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t_MpTLbxv0

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Usually the most difficult part is getting the old one to break free. Read up on some ideas on how to help get it loose.
I did it on a friend's 2000 and it went well and I did it with a jack and jack stands.
Buffalo4

·
Banned
806 Posts
Thanks.

Is it a good idea to use something like WD 40 ahead of time?
I personally would spray it a day or two in advance and let the stuff get in there. You may want to see if when spraying it if you can get it to budge too. You might get lucky. But I would use a product other than WD-40. I don't use the stuff at all, and have never cared for it. I would use a good rust penetrant that can be bought at any auto parts store. You wouldn't have to "soak" it, just spray some around the edges to get it to seep into the threads.

And as was recommended in the video above, get some anti seize compound on the threads of the new one, without getting it on the sensor. I buy that stuff in a large bottle myself and use it all the time when working on my vehicles. Good Luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many 02 sensors are there on a 1999 CRV?

Talked to our service guy today, and he said there are 2, and upstream sensor that regulates fuel mixture, and another downstream.

He said the upstream is more expensive to replace, quoting $290 to $300 plus.

Sounds fishy to me.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
How many 02 sensors are there on a 1999 CRV?

Talked to our service guy today, and he said there are 2, and upstream sensor that regulates fuel mixture, and another downstream.

He said the upstream is more expensive to replace, quoting $290 to $300 plus.

Sounds fishy to me.
Follow what DIY Guy said be sure you pre soak the threads 1st at least 2 days in advance. If you can as it will make it easier to remove. Most likely an OEM price. Here is a diagram: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/1999-honda-cr-v-5dr_ex-ka-4at/exhaust-pipe.html

Item # 22 is Upstream. Item # 23 is Downstream.

I would suggest to save you money get an Aftermarket. NTK or Denso only as if you install other brand name you might get a CEL. Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Newbie replying, and an old guy at that. I noticed you said the check engine light came on after refueling. I understand you threw a code, but sometimes if the gas cap wasn't tightened more than a click you would get a ce light. I know this from experience :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went on Oreilly's site, and they show the upstream NTK for $68.99.

Can there be that much difference?

·
Banned
806 Posts

I wouldn't buy anything from O'Reilly, their parts are junk, unless you know exactly what you're getting. I won't be going there for anything other than oil, or a wix filter. And they are right around the corner from where I live. Your much better off going to hondapartsnow.com, or if you're wanting an aftermarket part, go to NAPA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything from O'Reilly, their parts are junk, unless you know exactly what you're getting. I won't be going there for anything other than oil, or a wix filter. And they are right around the corner from where I live. Your much better off going to hondapartsnow.com, or if you're wanting an aftermarket part, go to NAPA.
Oreilly's and NAPA, both carry junk and good quality parts, NAPA was my preferred supplier 20 years ago till they had to get competitive with Oreilly's, Autozone, CARQUEST and the likes, online you're taking a risk as you never know what's in the box unless you purchase from an online Honda parts dealer like hondapartsnow.com and other online dealers. Just cant get the local Honda Dealer to match online prices like the local GM dealer has done for me in the last year.

I would not and did not a purchase a replacement air filter for my CRV from NAPA or O'Reillys. Why, I went to NAPA, O'Reilly, Autozone, CARQUEST and compared the OEM filter at all 3 of them. They were all junk compared to the OEM filter so I purchased it from the Honda dealer.

The Wix oil filter was not even close to being as well built as the Honda brand, compared it at the store. Wix manufactures good filters but not all them are as great as some think.

My 1982 work truck I drove for 25 years finally had to replace the heater core, the part from OReillys and NAPA were identical and no discernible differences, not much of a choice there.

I purchased ACDelco glowplugs made in Germany for my Duramax with a 1 year warranty from Oreillys, NAPA has some unknown brand and did not bother to ask what the warranty was, the ACDelco made in Germany is the choice on most Duramax diesel sites that I post on.

The fan clutch for the diesel truck, O'Reilly has a Murray fan clutch made in USA, the NAPA, well, same story I hear from the manager all the time. "It's made by so and so" and an unknown manufacturer just have to rely on what the manager tells me.

Always a good idea to shop around and compare parts, some aftermarket parts are superior to OEM and in some cases the reverse is true.......

·
Banned
806 Posts
Oreilly's and NAPA, both carry junk and good quality parts, NAPA was my preferred supplier 20 years ago till they had to get competitive with Oreilly's, Autozone, CARQUEST and the likes, online you're taking a risk as you never know what's in the box unless you purchase from an online Honda parts dealer like hondapartsnow.com and other online dealers. Just cant get the local Honda Dealer to match online prices like the local GM dealer has done for me in the last year.

I would not and did not a purchase a replacement air filter for my CRV from NAPA or O'Reillys. Why, I went to NAPA, O'Reilly, Autozone, CARQUEST and compared the OEM filter at all 3 of them. They were all junk compared to the OEM filter so I purchased it from the Honda dealer.

The Wix oil filter was not even close to being as well built as the Honda brand, compared it at the store. Wix manufactures good filters but not all them are as great as some think.

My 1982 work truck I drove for 25 years finally had to replace the heater core, the part from OReillys and NAPA were identical and no discernible differences, not much of a choice there.

I purchased ACDelco glowplugs made in Germany for my Duramax with a 1 year warranty from Oreillys, NAPA has some unknown brand and did not bother to ask what the warranty was, the ACDelco made in Germany is the choice on most Duramax diesel sites that I post on.

The fan clutch for the diesel truck, O'Reilly has a Murray fan clutch made in USA, the NAPA, well, same story I hear from the manager all the time. "It's made by so and so" and an unknown manufacturer just have to rely on what the manager tells me.

Always a good idea to shop around and compare parts, some aftermarket parts are superior to OEM and in some cases the reverse is true.......
I guess everybody is going to have their opinion. And yes, NAPA isn't as good as they used to be, but they are still better. I used to buy everything from NAPA and never had one issue with any of their parts. Here recently with my kid picking up his first vehicle, because O'Reilly was close we used them. Went thru 2 steering gear boxes in a month, and the 3rd one the threads were trashed before it got in the truck. It went back right away. Bought another one from a competitor and it has been in there for 6 weeks with zero issues. Replaced the power steering lines too and the old factory line I could screw in with zero issues. The new one wouldn't go in for nothing. Tried until my finger tips were sore. They gave me another one to try and it worked.

As far as the Wix filters, if I were to use an aftermarket filter they would be all I would use. I use factory filters for all my personal vehicles, however my kid not being able to afford factory filters uses Wix. And I'm not sure how you can tell from looking at the outside of an oil filter at the parts store and comparing it to the factory filter as to whether one is better than the other without dissecting it. The in cabin air filter and the engine air filter OEM look almost identical to a Wix. And I have an eye to notice things. Anybody that knows me will tell you this.

As far as your experience with O'Reilly and their glow plugs, I show that NAPA carries the ACDelco brand as well. At least they do for my Duramax. I would be curious however as to whether the quality is the same with a part you buy from the dealer and one you buy from the corner parts store. Even though they have the same brand name. I know that you can buy a Moen faucet for example from Home Depot and one from the plumbing store, take them both apart and there is a difference. Also if you will notice if you go to the Rockauto website there is usually two different levels of product that each have a different price, yet are both labeled ACDelco. There has to be a difference.

I also have a father in-law that spent 35 years as a mechanic in the oil field business. He has more money in tools than most people make in a years wages. His last tool box cost him 17K, and he has three of them, and a couple of smaller ones, full of tools. The joke was there wasn't going to be any tools when he retired. He to will tell you that the NAPA quality has slipped somewhat, but they are still better than O'Reilly. When I asked him about the issues with my kids steering gear box his comment with my issue was buying the part from O'Reilly. Their stocked parts that haven't been remanufactured may be fine. I just won't take the chance anymore.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts

NTK is actually a NGK for the spark plugs. The NTK is their division that makes O2 & Air Fuel Ratio Sensors. Go for the NTK they are very good. Is it on Sale? If so, you are getting a bargain. Just be sure you don't Drop the Sensor. Usually the OEM are priced higher but not always.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts