Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 CRV that has developed a growl on cold start. We are told that it's a dry on dry issue- that oil is not being transmitted properly throughout the engine. Anyone have any experiences like this or thoughts on next steps? Honda claims that they don't have a cure. Thanks

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Honda provided the link that you'll want to read to get well versed on your issue.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I believe all vehicles make funny noises on cold starts. That’s why I’m a big believer in Synthetic oil.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They have been doing this VTC rattle since at least 2008, both of mine had it, a 2008 and 2014, I was assured by my dealer that the problem was resolved, it wasn't, so I lost quite a bit of money trading in my one year old 2014, lost quite a bit of faith in the brand, and the dealer......Make that my EX dealer!

Synthetic oil makes no difference!

·
Banned
806 Posts
I have a 2012 myself. I signed up to reply to this thread in specific. My car has been doing this only when it was cold from the first winter that I had the vehicle. It would then go away when the weather warmed up. I had it noted in my service records that it was making this split second grinding sound when starting in cold temperatures when sitting overnight. Winter is back, and so is the sound. However this weekend it did it when accelerating from a stop on an incline, after being driven for a while. The noise was much louder than start up and for a longer period of time.

My car is out of warranty at this point, but it was documented early on while still under warranty, but they were unable to duplicate. I left the vehicle at the dealership to have them look at it tomorrow. They did say that they hadn't seen or heard of the problem, which I find hard to believe. I have a hard time having someone work on my vehicles, dealership included. Nothing that I won't fix myself. Much rather buy the special tools and have them forever than pay the outrageous labor rates. The other thing I can't believe is that Honda has had this problem for quite sometime and still don't have a resolution from what I understand. I will post a followup to what I learn tomorrow.

·
Banned
806 Posts
So hear is the follow up that I promised. I waited all day with no phone call. Was told that they would call me Monday morning. Another reason why I don't care to have my car worked on at the dealership. So I called at 1530 and was told they would check the status and get back with me. My mind at 1630 was thinking they aren't going to call, and I may not hear anything until tomorrow. So I called again. Below is what I was told. My apologies if this has already been mentioned by someone else previously in this thread. I didn't read the whole thing.

"Needs VTC Actuator, Honda stated it is currently under review and are not recommending any replacements at this time." I was told by the service advisor that a TSB come out last month on this issue and he also mentioned they are really close with an update. He advised me to call back monthly to see if a fix had been released. Apparently too there is a list that he added my VIN to which he also mentioned that I may get something in the mail from Honda in regards to a fix when it comes available. He did say that no engine damage will occur with driving on bad part. It is just noisy.

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
0w20 synthetic = low oil pressure at startup

the higher the oil viscosity, the higher the oil pressure

any complaints from the 5w30 CRV's and Accords?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sigh...... owners are never happy. You want good fuel economy and ultra low emissions but you don't like side effects. Switch to a thick oil and convince Honda of America to bump the rpm up in the idle. At the same time lets go back to reg transmission.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sigh...... owners are never happy. You want good fuel economy and ultra low emissions but you don't like side effects. Switch to a thick oil and convince Honda of America to bump the rpm up in the idle. At the same time lets go back to reg transmission.
Oh God yes give me manual transmission

1 - 12 of 12 Posts