Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda CRV
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There

I have a 2004 Honda CRV. I have been having an issue with a cold start. It seems to be on cold/damp days only but is happening more and more. It has been over a year of sporadically stalling during cold starts, to the point of stalling. You have to pump the gas to keep it idle. The weird thing, if I don't have time to sit there and pump the gas, ill just give up, go inside, then return in 5 minutes and its fine. Starts right up, idles fine. This makes it very hard to trouble shoot with a shop, as every time I take it in, its warm, and no codes are ever present. I swear I can smell fuel when this occurs, but this could be in my head. Vehicle has new O2 censors, new plugs, I have checked the coils as well, all fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My next step is to check the IACV and go from there .

Let me know what you think.

Jeff

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,191 Posts
Hi Jeff, WELCOME to the CRVOC.

Has the throttle body been cleaned? (Wipe the bore & butterfly with cleaner, do NOT spray, or the TPS sensor might be damaged) Then, the IACV would be next.

The engine initially runs in Open Loop Control (arbitrary 'set' parameters) but after as little than 30 seconds, the O2 heaters will have done their duty and the engine will run Closed Loop.

·
Registered
2004 Honda CRV
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I have not tried cleaning the throttle body or IACV yet. Waiting for some warmer weather to get in the engine bay and not destroy my hands. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2004 Honda CRV
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jeff, WELCOME to the CRVOC.

Has the throttle body been cleaned? (Wipe the bore & butterfly with cleaner, do NOT spray, or the TPS sensor might be damaged) Then, the IACV would be next.

The engine initially runs in Open Loop Control (arbitrary 'set' parameters) but after as little than 30 seconds, the O2 heaters will have done their duty and the engine will run Closed Loop.

Cleaned the throttle body as best I could this weekend. I really wanted to remove the whole assembly along with the IACV but the coolant lines running into it were not in good shape. I did not want to damaging them and not being able to get them back on. Got a ton of gunk out of the butterfly and both sides of the throttle body. Did a test this morning. It still did the same issue, tho it never stalled. Just was struggling. Any chance I need to reset anything to allow the computer to re-learn ? I will try to find replacement coolant hoses and remove the IACV next. Thanks for the help.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,191 Posts
Gen2 needs an Idle Learn whenever you clean the TB...

Lots of videos (copied the YT SEARCH page in case anyone searching finds this and has a different Generation)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts