Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Just sending out a call for recommendations regarding batteries for a 2014 CRV.
I find that my battery is failing me in cold weather, and while it seems to be testing fine it's failed me multiple times over the last two years in weather under -20C.
I drive most days of the week and those days so the car isn't left for too long without running.

Is there a tendency for 2014 CRVs to have issue with batteries in the cold?
Should I get a new battery?
Recommendations of batteries, please.

Thanks
M.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
If it's on the original battery, you're due for a new one, IMO.

Have you ever checked the battery electrolyte?

I put a Group 24F in our '13 EX. Followed the advice in the battery upgrade thread by Dexter1.
I went with a Wal-Mart battery based on the reco of the testing done by Consumer's Report, which I found via google.
It wasn't a lot of money when you amortize the cost over the years of use.

Good luck with the cold!

·
Registered
283 Posts
As you've probably noted, the OEM Group 51R is a pretty small battery, and the IIRC, the CCA was maybe 450 amps or so? If you want to stay with the stock size, you can buy better, with 500 or more CCA. Or, as suggested above, buy a larger battery tray and drop in a bigger battery (size 24F has been shown to work).

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
429 Posts
Get an AGM battery. I've never had issues with cold weather. We've been down to -40c and the crv still starts up after a few seconds of slower crank without plugging it in.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
It's not just the battery group but battery build. Dont buy cheap batteries (or dealership batteries). Doesnt matter where but get the highest grade battery of said brand as they all have cheap to expensive and paying the extra means more CCA.

It was close to -40C here for a bit and my regular battery started my CRV. Slowly but fired it up.

Going group 24 is definately a big plus especially if you get the higher level versions.

Honda has an issue with putting too small of batteries in their vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
As you've probably noted, the OEM Group 51R is a pretty small battery, and the IIRC, the CCA was maybe 450 amps or so? If you want to stay with the stock size, you can buy better, with 500 or more CCA. Or, as suggested above, buy a larger battery tray and drop in a bigger battery (size 24F has been shown to work).
Costco in Canada and US sells a 51R battery rated at 500 CCA. In Can. the 5th Gen CRV comes with a 550 CCA battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We use Napa batteries at work. They have been very dependable. The 51R is rated at 615 CA and 550 CCA. 4 -5 years is generally the life of an automotive battery. I agree with the former post, don't look for cheap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the information.
I will be looking into a higher CCA and into a larger battery tray and a group 24 battery.

Really appreciate the information.
M.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
429 Posts
An Exide 24F AGM battery has 710 CCA if you want to go that route. I have that same battery in my venza.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My 2015 battery died December 2018 during 0 F temps. Your battery lasted a year longer than mine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On my 2015 about 2 months ago I put a new 24F in. And now we have had some sub zero temperatures here in upstate NY and two different mornings the battery has been dead. Not sure whats going on...going to be warmer tomorrow and going to check with a hydrometer. Maybe I have a bad cell or some kind of parasitic draw.

Also called the dealer today and asked if there was anything to be on the look out for....and of course they said they need to see it.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
429 Posts
Going with a high quality battery is more important than just upgrading to a 24F battery if it is still cheap quality.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The (stock) battery in our '16 EX-L was having problems on a few mornings,
- Wife left the hazards on one night, after stopping at the mailbox to get our mail on her way home.
- Couple months later, it wouldn't start after driving our son to school. I got to the school, after taking my wife to lunch, on my way to work, and it started right up.
- Couple weeks after that, one of her co-workers jump-started it, cause it wouldn't start, so she could come home.
- THAT EVENING, we took it so I could get sized for a tux. Started at the house just fine, but wouldn't start after we got to the tux shop, and had AAA come out and replace it. AAA's test showed a dead cell in the battery.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ll add my vote for the Wal*Mart Everstart Maxx series of batteries. IMO Honda installs some very weak batteries but I’ve replaced at least five OEM batteries (three of these Honda) with Everstart Maxx products and have not had one fail yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My CR-V purchased Sept 2013 , 2014 model first battery died Jan 2016, car died last week due again for a new battery! . Looks like i'll be shopping for one too.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I’ll add my vote for the Wal*Mart Everstart Maxx series of batteries. IMO Honda installs some very weak batteries but I’ve replaced at least five OEM batteries (three of these Honda) with Everstart Maxx products and have not had one fail yet.
I bought a Mazda Miata about a year and a half ago with a new (same size) Walmart Everstart Maxx battery in it. It failed after 14 months and Walmart replaced it with no problems (3 year free replacement). Since my CRV battery was 3 1/2 years old, I put the new battery in the CRV and the CRV battery in the Miata. It has worked great and Walmart took the numbers from the bad battery and it showed exactly when and where the battery was purchased. The CRV battery I put in the Miata failed after a few months and I replaced it with a Rural King battery made by Exide for a cost of $59.99.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts