Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in cleveland Ohio. My 2012 CRV AWD EX (Grey) did not start on Jan 7th (Polar Vortex Day, Midwest was all in Frigid temps). I called Geico ERS, they said they were 6hrs backed up. I missed work that day. I finally got it jumped that evening from a neighbors truck. It has 20600 miles in 24 months of ownership. I drive my car every day and I don't leave accessories hooked when not being used.

Couple of days before to this event, AWD lights were orange for the whole day (again temps were single digits and wind chill was ~minus 20). after few days temps returned to double digits and light were gone and car was starting ok. Some times it hesitates, but eventually starts.

With all this in mind, and the weather about to get worse again in coming weeks, I wanted to get it checked before plunging into cold weather. I called American honda, to report, they suggested I get it checked with a dealership. So, I took it to dealership. The guy was rude and treating me like he knew everything, when I told him about the AWD lights and what I googled about it, that AWD temp sensors might need to be checked. He said his techs will take care of it, and I was not qualified to make a statement or diagnose. And that hondas come with smaller battery unlike GMC or other american cars. After waiting for long time in dealership, they put it on a GR8 tester according to Honda procedures and do 2 battery load tests. After charging for 90-120 minutes, my battery failed both tests. I started to show clear signs of frustration, So, he replaced a new battery under warranty. But did not talk about any Battery s/w or firmware flash/updates. Its just battery replaced, he also attributed AWD lights to low battery charge, and have told me it should be fixed by itself.

So I came home. This morning car (single digit temps) was hesitant to start, but eventually started (on a brand new battery). I have logged two complaints on NTSB site. NHTSA ID Number: 10560204 (Not starting), 10560208 (AWD lights). My request to you is, if you guys face an issue, please go to NTSB and fill in the online complaint form. we cant let Honda exploit and ignore customers.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Is your new battery the same size, cca's as the original one?

I feel for you guys that are dealing with this fridgid weather.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Far too many owners of Gen 3 CRVs are having battery problems. I have a 2011 and it's COLD here. No problems. None. Had a 2003 before that and the original battery lasted for 7 years.

That sucks. And 2014 TPMS problems. I don't recommend CRVs any more.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hondas have a dual mode charging system that runs in the low charge mode most of the time to save fuel. Along with the fact that they are putting a small battery in the new CRvs. If you are driving only short trips try driving with your headlights on. This will force the system in the high charge mode and may help during the very cold temps. Not the best news but it may help you. Give it a try and report back.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hondas have a dual mode charging system that runs in the low charge mode most of the time to save fuel. .
Hi Blue. Is that charging system used also in older CR-V:s ? (Like generation 2)

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Far too many owners of Gen 3 CRVs are having battery problems. I have a 2011 and it's COLD here. No problems. None. Had a 2003 before that and the original battery lasted for 7 years.

That sucks. And 2014 TPMS problems. I don't recommend CRVs any more.

First off, Thanks to every one for their inputs.

Hello Drivezki, I see you live in Ontario, Do you have a covered parking. I dont have a garage. so, its exposed out to the elements.

Also, it'd be nice to see Honda test their cars, with a scenario where, the car has been left in cold chamber (minus 40) for 5-7 days. Will it start and function normal? Is that an extreme test, for the weather here in Northern part? Minnesota is hitting minus 40 next week. We know audi commercials of extreme weathers tests.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts